learning opeth on guitar

radu123

New Metal Member
Oct 29, 2008
hey guys, i've been an opeth fan for a while now, and i've also been playing piano for several years and have been told that i have talent

i want to start learning opeth on guitar, but i've had almost no guitar experience in my life

how hard do you think opeth is for a beginner, and how long would you expect it take to be able to play most of their stuff with competence?

some songs i'm really eager to learn include:

the leper affinity
blackwater park
in my time of need
hope leaves
deliverance (i hear this is piss easy)
by the pain i see in others
ALL OF GHOST REVERIES!!
to bid you farewell
benighted
the lotus eater
hex omega
coil

i know some of the stuff i have listed, like in my time of need and hours of wealth, have a sort of bluesy feel about them, so this may make things tough.

please share your thoughts and experiences, thanks!

IMO, if you start playing guitar with the motivation of learning certain songs, you'll get frustrated. Rather, just grab a guitar and dabble with it for a while, and let the progress come naturally. It really depends on how much time you put in.

In time I'd start with The Drapery Falls. However, the opening chord is a challenge if you're not a maestro with standard chords.

well after exams i have 4 months with no responsibilites at all, except working part time, so i'd imagine i'd be playing each day for at least an hour or so

damn i can't wait for exams to end, gotta get back into the piano too!

Ha good times. I remember back in the day playing ps1 and having a guitar on my lap for the loading screens. After a while it was like, oh sweet, I can play this thing.

Opeth is not suitable for starters really. But the Drapery Falls except for the opening part and the solo is the one to begin with..

Well, some songs on Damnation might be interesting for a starter, but it's a lot of strange chords and everything. But because you already are into piano, it would be okay I guess. It's not the best band for a starter, but there might be some of their songs that would be nice for you to learn. Can't tell which one right now, though. In My Time Of Need, heh. You could try Deliverance, but some part are more difficult. To Bid You Farewell would be very interesting too. The Leper Affinity.. not yet. Anyway, just try it out, and you'll see!

I did actually start out with Opeth songs..
Its a bit hard, but just try finding certain riffs that sound good, and are easy to play.. Like riffs from TGC..

Advice, just play riffs.. Let whole songs be something for the future..

that's fine guys, these responses are helpful and pretty much what i expected

obviously i know i'm not going to pick up a guitar and in a week be knocking out the entire opeth discography, i just was wondering how long it would take a guitar beginner to get to the stage where he is ready to tackle opeth

i've been asking this question on a few band forums, i even got an e-mail response from the band ISIS haha

cheerio

yeah i wouldnt say im a beginner but i struggle with opeth songs. however songs like the drapery falls, wreath, april etheral are good ones to begin with.

I'd say Dirge for November as the intro is really easy to begin with and gets a bit harder so you could slowly learn it while progressing. The end is some pretty basic stuff too.

Main reason I'd recommend it is that it doesn't need to be accompanied as it's very complete by itself so it'll be more satisfying and, in turn, more encouraging for a beginner to learn.

Damnation would the best thing dude !!! When I started playing the guitar, I started directly playing Damnation things+ to bid you farewell+Forest Of October.It took me a while but it wasn't that easy !!!!! It's fucking awesome

I've been playing for a couple of years and only started playing Opeth a few months ago but from the perspective of a beginner, take the easiest songs you like first so you can play a few cool riffs almost right off the bat and use those to have a little fun so you're motivated to keep working on the harder stuff. I haven't tried every song but I'd start with:

Master's Apprentice - Main Riff
The Grand Conjuration - Main Riff
Blackwater Park - Intro, Power chords under the final verse, lots of doable riffs in this one

And once you're comfortable with a guitar in general, I think the best full songs to play are probably Demon of the Fall and The Night and the Silent Water, neither are too fast or have guitar solos.

Edit: Oh, and to one of the above posts, I'm actually struggling a little with Dirge for November, so idk about that for a beginner.