Learning to growl/scream?

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
I've always wanted to be able to do it, or at least know HOW to do it but I don't have the slightest clue where to begin. How did some of you guys here that do it learn? I've heard mixed reviews on Zen of Screaming and that's also not really the type of thing I want to learn to do. I want to mainly do low ass growls ala Hour of Penance, JFAC..

I think I won't be the only one to say this, but Zen of Screaming is probably your best bet. What mixed reviews have you heard on it?

I've heard that some of the techniques can be damaging to your vocal chords and I've just heard that it's an ineffective tutorial video.

It is like 90% testimonials, and all or most techniques are only half-explained..

I went through it with my singer for a few months and made pretty much zero progress. The rest of the stuff on the net didn't really help either.. its all bits of information, not the whole thing. He's started going for lessons now and that's a lot better (altho singing lessons not screaming).. stuff like 'lower your larynx' on the net is actually explained and you're given exercises and explanations and stuff..

If you could find a coach to do it, that's your best bet by FAR.. otherwise I honestly don't know of any alternatives to the Zen of Screaming. I remember someone else posted a recommendation of anotehr DVD or Book, similar name 'of Screaming', I can't remember though.

I learned to scream by simply experimenting whilst trying to achieve certain sounds. Eventually with trial and error you find out what works and what doesn't.
Recording yourself might help you hear it too.
Start off with simple low volume screams and growls before trying to take it further.

Taking formal voice classes can help a lot as it helps you activate and be aware of certain muscle groups that you probably never even knew existed, so it complements any singing or screaming voice by providing proper support.

You said you want really low growls? For that I recommend lots of air intake and creating a kind of "oooh" shape with your mouth. Try different tongue positions too.

I tried a few books and online lessons but they didn’t help me.

I just started singing along to my favourite records and didn’t worry about “wrong” techniques etc.
Months ago I talked with John Gallagher and Roberth Karlsson about their singing and they told me that they didn’t take any vocal lessons.

I can only completely disagree with Morgan C by saying that the Zen Of Screaming was the best thing I could have done for my career as a singer/frontman. The difference the first DVD made was astounding. And the vocal warmups alone are worth 5 times the price of the DVD package.

I went from not being able to sing 2 songs without fucking up my voice to doing full shows with screaming and singing in a few weeks just by applying the techniques she calls

- the dump
- rotunda
- over the pencil

and the warmups (4-6 times before a gig).

I've never had any problems since I bought the first DVD.

BUT: I also bought the 2nd one and didn't like it too much. It was difficult to emulate what she was doing. Then again, I had absolutely no need for it either.

I consider myself to be a rather competent growler, and I'm completely self taught. Just messing around, trying out different things along to my favorite albums and trying to mimic what they were doing. It was hard in the beginning, and there was alot of sore throaths involved, but persistance did the trick. Practice is the key, you have to keep it up and work on it regularly. Having a band is the best, but that might not be very fun if you're just starting out and not to confident in your abilities.

Start out messing around with your favorite albums, experiment with your vocal chords and see what happens. After a while you'll see what works best, and what kind of sound you like. Don't push it to hard when starting out though! It supposed to hurt a little, but not too much. Try to find a "mode" where you can keep it up for a while without to much pain, and work with that.

Damn, I'm about to start doing vocals with my new band any day now! I'm rediculously out of shape, I've stocked up on plently of drinks to keep my voice from exploding during the first couple of runs. :lol:

I've been wondering; what's the volume you should really be doing this? I've heard several vocalists whose style is kind of quiet, compared to actual singing.

I have a little something going on myself, and I personally think it sounds even pretty okay, but it's pretty quiet, like at a speaking volume. It doesn't hurt my throat at all but I'd definitely want more volume. Also, I can sing pretty loud these days but I can't add any harshness to my voice that way, or the volume just drops like hell. I know, I'd probably need to get some lessons for this, but it would be cool if I could teach myself.

I've been wondering; what's the volume you should really be doing this? I've heard several vocalists whose style is kind of quiet, compared to actual singing.

I have a little something going on myself, and I personally think it sounds even pretty okay, but it's pretty quiet, like at a speaking volume. It doesn't hurt my throat at all but I'd definitely want more volume. Also, I can sing pretty loud these days but I can't add any harshness to my voice that way, or the volume just drops like hell. I know, I'd probably need to get some lessons for this, but it would be cool if I could teach myself.

Varies volume wise depeding on the route you take. I recorded a band where the singer was insanely loud and after doing vocals for a few hours his voice was still strong and he only felt he was loosening up! Done sound alot for a band where the singer has an insane growl but was very quiet.

It really takes a LOT of practice , for both your mind to get down exactly how to do it correctly (without destroying your throat) and then to get some volume and tone to it. I'd been trying to do it since about 6 years ago , and only after watching the Zen of Screaming 1 and 2 did I finally figure it out. I thought it was normal to not be able to speak for a day after screaming , haha. Those videos help a lot with clean singing also. There's a part in the videos when she mentions " Marge Simpson's voice " and for some reason that was what made it click . Seriously , do her voice , and you have to use that raspy tone , then you just basically push it harder and add some tone.

I'm totally self taught.
Just screamed/growled along to records where I liked the vocals and tried to imitate the vocal sounds. Had specific albums I'd growl to for highs, lows, mid-range stuff, different styles of highs and lows, blah blah.
Like JFAC - Doom EP and The Faceless - Akeldama were my main ones for learning how to do that low, shouty roar. Lamb of God CD's were my main ones for mid-range stuff. LOG and suicide silence for highs, I still suck at highs though. Bleh.

Just rip-off a bunch of drastically different vocalists and get as much variation as possible while you're learning and then form all these different styles into a style that is all your own. It'll happen naturally, and don't expect overnight results or anything. I've been doing this for just over 2 years now and I'm still not totally happy with my vocals.

The Marge Simpson thing was pretty interesting; I should try it a bit.

Like JFAC - Doom EP and The Faceless - Akeldama were my main ones for learning how to do that low, shouty roar.

Yeah man, this is exactly how I'd love to be able to sound. The vocalist of JFAC is fucking awesome.

To the guys who taught themselves.. where do you even start with this? I have no clue. What should I be trying to do?

To the guys who taught themselves.. where do you even start with this? I have no clue. What should I be trying to do?

Took me 3 weeks of litterally just screaming my guts out until i figured out how to make that growly sound without having to yell.
i was getting close to giving up.
was going into to jam with my band and yelling for like half an hour until i couldnt breathe anymore and then barely talking for 2 days to recover and then doing it again.
rinse and repeat until i figured it out. then i taught my bassist how to do it and he got it in minutes. fuck my life.

i get worried about my mate who screams

he's very over weight, drinks alcohol like an irishman (because thats what we are) takes too many drugs, after a session he's coughing up blood and he goes redder then a tomato after 1 song, sweat pumping off him - he knows he has to stop his boozing and drugs etc but he doesn't do it, he's passed out a few times too from screaming too much and not managing to get a breath in on time. i've tried giving him training advice etc because its part of what i studied in college. he just figures if he hasn't died yet doing it then he's happy to keep doing it his way until he does drop.

on the + side it is the most aggressive in your face scream i've ever heard in my life and im in this ballpark close to 10 years now - just imagine a big fat sweaty bald irish drunk drugged up lad roaring hit guts up in your face. he would happily but a decent amp to shame screaming without a mic.

its a scary sight but an awesome one too

anyway long story short: DONT FOLLOW IN HIS FOOTSTEPS! GET PRO-ADVICE on how to scream because he may not care about his well being but im sure you do

I started out pretty much just doing the low volume semi hissing thing most people do when trying to imitate screaming vocals. Then gradually trying to increase in volume and power. This is where practicing along to your favorite metal comes in handy, since it kinda masks how stupid you sound in the beginning.

At first I just wanted to be able to do Anders Fridén "Clayman" style vocals, which went okay, but I had much more success with the slightly lower (in pitch) less "throatier" style of say the Colony album. I sang like that for a year or so, and then I started in an oldschool DM band and every rehersal I just experimented going lower and lower, which evolved to my current style of vox (very low, with the occasional high screaming)

Here is an example of some of my best (IMO) high screaming vox:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=842017&songID=7235767

And here is some stuff with my old band (now broken up) which more represent the vocals I do these days:
http://www.myspace.com/umetornapart

I hope any of this is even remotely useful, I don't have any real advice I can tell you how I did it.