leaving parent´s house - your experience

Wow, I moved out @15. Lived with my GF's (at the time) grandparents (who also gave me a job) till 17 and then moved to Texas for a while. Then to mass @19 and back down to FL @21. Point is, I got out my moms house.

Too bad it's simply impossible to do in Finland until you have a permanent job. The rents are way too high for a student to support himself unless you share the flat with a load of other people (and you might as well not move at all then). But once I get a job (still 1,5 years left of studies, and I'm 25 atm), I'm sure I'll move away - possibly out of Finland altogether, the business world is a total mess at the moment (people being laid off by the thousands and no one is looking for employees). Perhaps Sweden would be a better choice, mostly because their living support is much better than in Finland, so it's less of a hassle to search for a first job, and internet connections are shitload faster and cheaper there :lol:

and you won't have to fight polar bears every night for your dinner :lol:

sorry, a joke my buddy told me (he lives in helsinki)

Have you made mistakes from which I can learn now? Any Tipps?[/QUOTE]

I moved out when i was 17 due to studies...went to university.
I didn´t really have any problems and by that age u can imagine the craziness that was in my head all alone in the big city without telling anyone what or where i´m going, etc......drinking etc u know!!! lot´s of people living together....tip: get a place for yourself alone, don´t share it unless u have to $$$
One of the things that come to mind... started to go to much more concerts because i was now in the capital city of the country:headbang:.

almost 13/14 years after i see myself back in my hometown...and i tell u what IT´S STRANGE IN WAY........it´s being hard to addapt to it because life has changed so much for me in the last 6 months....but that´s another story:rolleyes:

Actually the joke is based on a big fuckup by National Geographic a year (or two?) ago :lol: According to them, the Finnish polar bear population is in danger due to global warming... the only problem is that there haven't been wild polar bears in Finland for thousands of years :lol: :loco:

well my buddy Jan was telling me how he gets asked some really dumb fuckin questions sometimes in interviews ... seems people that aren't very familiar with Finland think the whole country is like living at the top of Greenland or something so he would respond by saying shit like "its not bad but you have to fight off the polar bears that try to steal your food" or "things are getting better here, we finally have indoor plumbing and now sweden has been sending electricity over to us so we don't have to use oil lamps anymore" :lol:

moved on my own to a small apartment in Lakeland, Florida when i was 18. i worked at a "Beverage Castle" on the weekdays, Ace's Music on the weekends, and gave guitar lessons. did this until i moved to Atlanta briefly where a roommate and i shared a small house... which is where i was when Chuck S. called me to invite me to join Death. Moved back to Florida, staying in spare room at my grandmother's house for the brief periods that i wasn't either in the studio or on tour. Once i put Disincarnate together and scored a deal with Roadrunner i moved to my own apartment in Tampa. from there i joined Testament and moved to Oakland, CA where i had a loft apartment... then i got sick and ended up right back at my parents. now i have my own home on a family owned parcel of land. my parents live nearby in a small house to themselves, but i see them most every day for coffee in the morning and/or an evening meal.

moving on one's own is different now than it was in our parent's generation though.... and even much different than it was for me at 18... because even then i could earn enough to pay rent, food, utilities, etc. and have some left for recreation or to pursue music... even with bullshit jobs. i think it's a lot harder for young people with no special training these days.

moving on one's own is different now than it was in our parent's generation though.... and even much different than it was for me at 18... because even then i could earn enough to pay rent, food, utilities, etc. and have some left for recreation or to pursue music... even with bullshit jobs. i think it's a lot harder for young people with no special training these days.

VERY true man

pretty much everything has gone up in cost disproportionately to wages at average jobs like you get when you're younger. McMinimum wage isn't even a possibility to live off of

Thats cool as hell that you get to hang with your family like that ... wish I could do that more often but unfortunately they're in FL too

I moved out I suppose when I went off to college, dorm for a year and then a house for a year (with a roommate). I ended up moving back in with my parents for 1 year, as I could save a bit more money and not take as much student loans out. I did work study during school, but I didn't wanna have to use that money towards rent (I also had to buy a car), so staying with my parents was nice...Then they decided to move 2 hours away while I was in school...So, for my final year of college I had to get an apartment, and I lived by myself for a bit, then I got married, so my wife lived with me while I was in clinical rotations (my degree is in nuclear medicine)...So it was nice, actually.

Too bad it's simply impossible to do in Finland until you have a permanent job. The rents are way too high for a student to support himself unless you share the flat with a load of other people (and you might as well not move at all then). But once I get a job (still 1,5 years left of studies, and I'm 25 atm), I'm sure I'll move away - possibly out of Finland altogether, the business world is a total mess at the moment (people being laid off by the thousands and no one is looking for employees). Perhaps Sweden would be a better choice, mostly because their living support is much better than in Finland, so it's less of a hassle to search for a first job, and internet connections are shitload faster and cheaper there :lol:

Depends completely on the location and whether your parents' income will lower the student support. I moved out when I was 18 and didn't have any serious problems. Sometimes I was completely broke, but never had to call my parents to send money. Sometimes they did out of good will and without me asking, though.

well my buddy Jan was telling me how he gets asked some really dumb fuckin questions sometimes in interviews ... seems people that aren't very familiar with Finland think the whole country is like living at the top of Greenland or something so he would respond by saying shit like "its not bad but you have to fight off the polar bears that try to steal your food" or "things are getting better here, we finally have indoor plumbing and now sweden has been sending electricity over to us so we don't have to use oil lamps anymore" :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

And OT, I'm 22 and still "live" with my parents in that it's my home base whenever I'm not at college, but that means since Fall '05 I've been living on my own with roommates (in dorms), and since Fall '08 I've had an apartment (so I had to conquer the final challenge of independence, feeding myself; perhaps some remember my "Bachelor Food" thread :lol: ) Once I graduate this May, I'll definitely live at home for a little while so I can get on my feet with a job and paying off student loans; I love my parents (and Rufus :D) dearly and we get along really well, but I think the main issue is I'll probably be working near NYC, which means an hour commute each way; that'll get old REAL fast! (it did this past summer when I did it! :ill: )

:lol::lol::lol:

And OT, I'm 22 and still "live" with my parents in that it's my home base whenever I'm not at college, but that means since Fall '05 I've been living on my own with roommates, and since Fall '08 I've had an apartment (so I had to conquer the final challenge of independence, feeding myself; perhaps some remember my "Bachelor Food" thread :lol: ) Once I graduate this May, I'll definitely live at home for a little while so I can get on my feet with a job and paying off student loans; I love my parents (and Rufus :D) dearly and we get along really well, but I think the main issue is I'll probably be working near NYC, which means an hour commute each way; that'll get old REAL fast! (it did this past summer when I did it! :ill: )

An hour is not bad at all dude (by train??) when you consider how nice the area you live in now is! If you are working close to NYC you will probably be forced to either live in NYC again (shoe box apartments aren't for me!), somewhere in the five boroughs (not too bad, but upstate NY is way better IMO), or somewhere in Jersey which would be the crappiest choice, haha. I would make that commute in a hot minute.

-Joe

Nah, it got old REAL fast doing it this past summer dude, trust me! Also, Metro North only runs like every 2 fucking hours from the stop nearest my house since it's so far north on the line (there's not even a 3rd rail, it's just diesel engines :Smug: ), so I have to get the 7:19, which sucks assholes (I'll never get used to waking up at 6:30, to say nothing of earlier! :erk: ). My goal is to live somewhere either in Queens or the Bronx; a place near the city where I can always reliably park my car is all I ask!

An hour is not bad at all dude (by train??) when you consider how nice the area you live in now is! If you are working close to NYC you will probably be forced to either live in NYC again (shoe box apartments aren't for me!), somewhere in the five boroughs (not too bad, but upstate NY is way better IMO), or somewhere in Jersey which would be the crappiest choice, haha. I would make that commute in a hot minute.

-Joe

Me too. I drive an hour to school everyday anyway and I'm not even getting paid. WTF.

I wake up at 545.
SUCK IT.

Better you than me jigga! :loco:

EDIT: Though I guess it would be more accurate to say I hate going to bed early, rather than waking up early :mad:

moved out last august, I am 21, I wanted to move out since 3 years but I head to finish school (40 minutes away from where I live now by car, 10 minutes from my parent's home).
Never been happier, there were a few problems between me and my parents so it was a good decision.
Now I'm living together with my girlfriend, and I have my own room for guitars and stuff (ok, it's like 2,50 meters long, 1,80 meter high (at the highest level, and I am like 1,93, I always sit while playing) and 1,20 meters wide) but it's my room and it's great.

Nah, it got old REAL fast doing it this past summer dude, trust me! Also, Metro North only runs like every 2 fucking hours from the stop nearest my house since it's so far north on the line (there's not even a 3rd rail, it's just diesel engines :Smug: ), so I have to get the 7:19, which sucks assholes (I'll never get used to waking up at 6:30, to say nothing of earlier! :erk: ). My goal is to live somewhere either in Queens or the Bronx; a place near the city where I can always reliably park my car is all I ask!

Ah, gotcha bro. Yeah that quite sucks. I'm just not cut out for NYC living, but you grew up there so I guess you are used to it! I love visiting but can't live there.

Ever go to the Czech beer garden in Astoria? Mad fun in the summer. :)

-Joe