leaving parent´s house - your experience

moving on one's own is different now than it was in our parent's generation though.... and even much different than it was for me at 18... because even then i could earn enough to pay rent, food, utilities, etc. and have some left for recreation or to pursue music... even with bullshit jobs. i think it's a lot harder for young people with no special training these days.

No doubt. I'm not sure how difficult it is in all parts of the world, but here in Oz it's almost impossible unless you share an apartment with a number of people. For those in this line of work it becomes exceptionally hard, because rent money starts to suck away gear money, and somehow it becomes difficult to attempt mixing world-class records in an untreated 2x2m bedroom, reamping right next to the living room TV.

I'm 22 and still in with the folks unfortunately. It's sort of the lesser of all evils at the moment. The folks do drive me crazy, and the extra independence would be great as I'd turn the entire apartment/house into a quasi studio, but it's certainly better than funneling my money down to a landlord I'd rather shovel in the face. There are plans to move out within a few years with a close friend, but who knows how that will develop.

Then there's the eternal question:

How do leave Australia? ¯\(°_o)/¯

She´s much better educated and wiser than I will ever be. Sometimes I feel really dumb..hahaha But I think, she has not that routine in speaking english live. So also speakin´slowly to both of us :lol:

Haha, cool man...I'm sure it will be ok. It will be an interesting experience for sure. Two Germans and two Yanks.

You have never been to the U.S. right? Oh man, gonna be a fun time in New York for you then, haha.

-Joe

My biggest problem is not having the ability to be loud. I have almost lived here in MD for two years now and it's utter shit. Back home, I had a room full of gear with drums and shit and could be loud and was recording bands and going to shows like 3-4 times a week. When you have roommates, you can't even use a damn amplifier, even if it's a practice amp because anything and everything is too loud.

Rent here is expensive compared to my hometown as well. I'm paying almost $500 a month for a bedroom when I can rent or pay payments on a whole house for the same amount in Tennessee. I hardly have any money to cover food and gas costs so I'm not out having a lot of fun on weekends or whatever. There's not much to do here besides go drink at a bar though and I can't find any badass shows around here unless I drive 2hrs to Baltimore/DC, which is shit.

The only reason I'm still here is that I have steady work running an ebay business with a friend and playing bass in a cover band, and I'm borrowing a car. If I move back home, I'll have no job or car. So you can see how I'm kinda stuck.

I moved out last August at the age of 25. January till August was a nightmare. My GF moved to my hometown (she's from Nuremberg - about 200kms away) and so my mom, my GF and me lived together in a 3 room apartment. That really wasn't easy and so moving out was great ...

Now our life is pretty chaotic at times :D
We had to buy a lot of stuff for our home, fix a lot (old building) and so on.

I guess you'll move together with your gf? You'll both experience a lot of annoying small things at the other you'll never noticed before.
You're gonna be tough ... my GF loves to decorate and buy all those nifty decoration-things which basically drives me nuts :D

And Felix, Joe ... gimme a call, when you meet. Maybe I'll come over, too :D

The only reason I'm still here is that I have steady work running an ebay business with a friend and playing bass in a cover band, and I'm borrowing a car. If I move back home, I'll have no job or car. So you can see how I'm kinda stuck.

I was wondering why you stuck around - tough break dude, but are you making enough scratch that you could save some of it to eventually move back to TN and live off of it until you got on your feet again?

Haha, cool man...I'm sure it will be ok. It will be an interesting experience for sure. Two Germans and two Yanks.

You have never been to the U.S. right? Oh man, gonna be a fun time in New York for you then, haha.

-Joe

:kickass::kickass::kickass:

And to answer your question from before Joe, I actually have not been to very many bars/beer gardens/anything in NYC; for awhile I always went to a bar that my "friend" worked at, but he's become a douche, so I don't like going there anymore - I'll have to do some homework to find out where we all can go!

For those in this line of work it becomes exceptionally hard, because rent money starts to suck away gear money, and somehow it becomes difficult to attempt mixing world-class records in an untreated 2x2m bedroom, reamping right next to the living room TV.

When there's a will, there's a way! :lol: Are you deadset on only doing production for a living though dude? I mean, Glenn/Oz builds cars for his day job, and he's still able to get some sweet production gigs

:kickass::kickass::kickass:

And to answer your question from before Joe, I actually have not been to very many bars/beer gardens/anything in NYC; for awhile I always went to a bar that my "friend" worked at, but he's become a douche, so I don't like going there anymore - I'll have to do some homework to find out where we all can go!

Well there is a German place in alphabet city called "Zum Schneider", but the Czech place in Astoria the name is escaping me at the moment! Really fun in the summer though.

-Joe

Wow, alot of guys have moved out really early. I'm 21 and never left mommy and daddy's home :p. Me and my GF have been dating for 1 year and a half and it's still possible audiogeekzine :p but I plan on moving out next year hopefully

Just to make things a little easier to understand, I consider the house where me and most of my family (in the broader sense of the word) were born and lived the only real home I have. Everything else is just a temporary place to live to me, as I intend to move back into that house when the time comes. My roots are very important to me, see? ;)

I've moved out of my home twice. First time was when I was 16 and finished comprehensive school. I went to a vocational school some 600km from my home, as my sister lived in there (and that happened to be the area where my mom is from). After about three months I dropped out of school as it just wasn't my thing. I would've stayed there as there was some open jobs I could've applied to, but my mom wanted me to move back home... :) So I did. And after few months of doing nothing, I applied to a local sixth form college.

Second time I moved away from home, I was about 21. I finished my sixth form college (college preparatory high school in the US?) and started in an university of applied sciences. After the first year I decided I wanted to live on my own and found a place that was affordable but nice enough to live in.
The good part: rent was under 200€/month.
The bad part: school was over 30km away and there was no public transportation so I had to use my own car, which ate pretty much all the money left after paying the rent. Luckily I had a classmate who was generous enough to give me a ride since he lived even further away than me and had to drive through the town in any case. :kickass:

I could've moved closer to the school, but that would've left me with even less money per month.

After I dropped out of that school too :)p) I worked some short time jobs that paid my rent for a couple of years and then landed the job I have now. I lived in the last apartment for a few years and after I got a permanent job I moved again to save money commuting, as the distance was 47km one way, and after rent and all other obligatory expenses I could barely live on the money that was left.

Now I live just a few km from work, pay less than 1.5 times the money for the residence than in the last place and can afford some little luxuries in my life and still save some of the money. All in all, it's good to be independent.

Although sometimes it sucks with the distance to home (60km) when having the urge to get some real food to eat and sit on to a ready table. :)

And just something to think about: my brother still lives at home with our parents and he turned 40 last month... Although he did a few year stint on his own in his mid 20s... And he's had the same job for about the last 20 years...

Wow, what a novel! :zombie::lol:

Wow, I'm actually a bit surprised that so many moved out "late", as in 22+. Here in Sweden it's kinda common that you leave as fucking fast as you can... don't know why it is like that really but most of the people I know from for example my old class in high school etc. now live either abroad, or got their own place etc.

My parents are from Turkey, so we aren't really anything like the swedes in general (well since I'm born here, I'm sort of more swede than a turk but still), and in the turkish culture, family is something that is held very dearly and shit so they never shove you out the door when you turn 18. That is a generous thing and I appreciate it since I just turned 22 and I'm still living at home but trust me, I wanna get the hell out of here really bad, only because this place is boring and there is no goddamn future here. But these are hard times, and it's not getting easier... so us young people are royally fucked unless we are from a royal background eh.

I was kinda doubting myself a couple years ago. I was wondering if I'd be alright on my own, can I handle this, can I handle that etc. but it all passed when I got over 20. I think the real trigger was when my parents went on a vacation for 3-4 weeks where I was on my own in this pretty big house, and to my amazement... I was flying across the house and fixing everything, doing dishes, cleaning up, having parties, drinking, etc (good timing that I received a bottle of JD as payment for something too at that time! I downed that bottle quite fast now that nobody could interfere haha). So now I'm really looking forward to it, but as said... fucking hard times, makes you rethink stuff.

Guess I should first try to secure SOME form of an income before moving out... and school ends pretty soon too. Well, if there is anything to learn from life it is this: Do not ever fucking worry about the future, take it as it comes, do what you can do, always keep it up.

I was such a worrier once... man, what a waste of thoughts that was :)

There is this girl in my current class in uni (haha, there are only 2 girls in the class...), and she's been showering me with all these damn signals as in "Hey, I like you but I'm too whimpy to say it", and I've been ignoring every single damn one of them and just acted like I'm too fucking dumb to notice. One day though, she said I should come down to France (she lived there before she moved up here to study, and she's going back after school) and stay at her place for an undefined amount of time. I just waved it off somehow and said I had this and that to take care of in Sweden etc. but in these hard times I'm beginning to think if I'm actually wrong. I always dream about getting the fuck out and moving to another country where I don't know shit and just starting from zero, and she is probably serious so I could do it soon if I wanted to but... haha, damn, hard times! I feel like an ass for even thinking about this though... I'm basically using her if I decide to do that :S

-Joe

I was never been in the U.S. I can say, it will be like a movie for me. So don´t wonder, if I´m a bit like on drugs. To see all the famous sights in New York the first time will surely touch me a lot!!

I moved out last August at the age of 25. January till August was a nightmare. My GF moved to my hometown (she's from Nuremberg - about 200kms away) and so my mom, my GF and me lived together in a 3 room apartment. That really wasn't easy and so moving out was great ...

Now our life is pretty chaotic at times
We had to buy a lot of stuff for our home, fix a lot (old building) and so on.

I guess you'll move together with your gf? You'll both experience a lot of annoying small things at the other you'll never noticed before.
You're gonna be tough ... my GF loves to decorate and buy all those nifty decoration-things which basically drives me nuts

And Felix, Joe ... gimme a call, when you meet. Maybe I'll come over, too

I hear ya, dude. And I think, you´re damn right. But I will live there alone first, because she wanna stay by her parents for the time she studies. Of course she will be there often, but not solid the next years.

You really could come over, too? That would be great :) Have you roots in U.S ? I ask because of your name.

hahaha I wanna do all things, that I can do in GTA 4 (except killing people)...for example visit some stand up comedian show :lol: We are open for all shit..especially drinking :D We comply with the stereotype concerning BEER!!!

I think the real trigger was when my parents went on a vacation for 3-4 weeks where I was on my own in this pretty big house, and to my amazement... I was flying across the house and fixing everything, doing dishes, cleaning up, having parties, drinking, etc

That´s it, dude. When you make this good experience, all will runs cool. Some people tell me, they became only then really grown-up as they lived absolutely on their own. I think, that´s the truth. You really take the whole responsibility for all....even Ironing :) Damn it!!

Honestly, who the hell irons? :lol: Just buy machine-washable clothes and fold 'em/hang 'em up right out of the dryer! (I've been doing my own laundry for 10 years, and this always works for me!) And as for suits and stuff, I wear those so rarely I can afford to get 'em cleaned and pressed when they need it

I was never been in the U.S. I can say, it will be like a movie for me. So don´t wonder, if I´m a bit like on drugs. To see all the famous sights in New York the first time will surely touch me a lot!!

I hear ya, dude. And I think, you´re damn right. But I will live there alone first, because she wanna stay by her parents for the time she studies. Of course she will be there often, but not solid the next years.

You really could come over, too? That would be great :) Have you roots in U.S ? I ask because of your name.

hahaha I wanna do all things, that I can do in GTA 4 (except killing people)...for example visit some stand up comedian show :lol: We are open for all shit..especially drinking :D We comply with the stereotype concerning BEER!!!

Haha awesome dude! When my buddy from Holland came over for the first time it was similar.

Plenty of good places to drink at and get rowdy! Hopefully your girl won't mind!

-Joe

Haha awesome dude! When my buddy from Holland came over for the first time it was similar.

Plenty of good places to drink at and get rowdy! Hopefully your girl won't mind!

-Joe

She is a "bad girl"..maybe a bit shy at first, but she´s open minded for some nonsens and stuff :kickass: Of course she mainly expect a nice and romantic time in togetherness with me, but we both looking forward to meet you guys!! This will be killer!!!