leaving parent´s house - your experience

I go to bed at 8pm or 8:30pm every night and get up at 4:30am for work, to work 10 hours a day, 14 days straight. In the middle of nowhere. Where it's been -40C all winter.

But then I get to go home for 7 days of doing whatever I want which is nice. Working 14 days straight sucks but because of that I basically get 17 weeks off per year plus 3 weeks vacation and usually 3 weeks over Christmas, so it pays to tough it out because I can do a lot more with 7 days off then I could with just my weekends at a regular job. And the overtime pay you get from working 70 hours a week is nice too!

Marcus,

I shouldn't say avoid Jersey altogether actually. Depending on how much you are making you can check out Fort Lee, Teaneck or surrounding areas. You might be able to find something relatively cheap there.

Edit: even around the area I live in (Paramus, Fair Lawn, Ridgewood) isn't a bad commute to the city. The train to the PATH is actually 2 blocks or so from my house and goes right to Hoboken.

-Joe

I go to bed at 8pm or 8:30pm every night and get up at 4:30am for work, to work 10 hours a day, 14 days straight. In the middle of nowhere. Where it's been -40C all winter.

But then I get to go home for 7 days of doing whatever I want which is nice. Working 14 days straight sucks but because of that I basically get 17 weeks off per year plus 3 weeks vacation and usually 3 weeks over Christmas, so it pays to tough it out because I can do a lot more with 7 days off then I could with just my weekends at a regular job. And the overtime pay you get from working 70 hours a week is nice too!

Damn, lots of free time...pretty nice! I never realized how doing mundane tasks at home takes up so much time when working a 9-5 job. I'm not enjoying it too much at the moment. Meh whatever, life is a journey haha.

-Joe

Yeahhh...It´s so damn cool and intersting to read all your experience here, dudes. It was definitively the right decision to open this thread. Thank you so much! And we all got a small James Murphy biography for free :) Highly appreciated, man!!!!

I love my parents and my "slayin warmachine" yoshi so much, but the problem is: not enough space and the fact, that the rooms are adjacent..I have to be quiet. BUT I don´t wanna be fuckin´quiet. My guitarschool/Studio is seperately..so that will not concerns my decision. But I have a home cinema and a 7.1 amp..I would like to use it passionate!! The best thing would be, I build a house in middle of the black forest :)

Now Serious...I don´t want withholding some problems with my father, but I wanna respect his privacy and don´t talk about in public in detail. All I can say is, I must go now :)

Yeahhh...It´s so damn cool and intersting to read all your experience here, dudes. It was definitively the right decision to open this thread. Thank you so much!

I love my parents and my "slayin warmachine" yoshi so much, but the problem is: not enough space and the fact, that the rooms are adjacent..I have to be quiet. BUT I don´t wanna be fuckin´quiet :) My guitarschool/Studio is seperately..so that will not concerns my decision. But I have a home cinema and a 7.1 amp..I would like to use it passionate!! The best thing would be, I build a house in middle of the black forest :)

Now Serious...I don´t want withholding some problems with my father, but I wanna respect his privacy and don´t talk about in public in detail. All I can say is, I must go now :)

Haha, my room is adjacent to my parents as well!

Build a house in the black forest! I might go to Heidelberg in September dude...hehe.

-Joe

Haha, my room is adjacent to my parents as well!

Build a house in the black forest! I might go to Heidelberg in September dude...hehe.

-Joe

This adjacent thing is a goddamn problem sometimes..really :lol: If you have guests there, girlfriend, some drunken dudes and parents wanna sleep. That´s not longer acceptable for me. I´m looking so much forward to leave. BUT I really hope, I will not have some problems with neighbors or among tenants.

Heidelberg is cool!! Especially the castles there..wonderful. Maybe we´ll sit in the same Airplane, when you travel New York - Germany. We´ll leave New York the same time..that would be funny :)

Joe: Yeah, I've thought about Jersey, but I don't like the idea of being across the river from my job; I just think of the potential traffic clusterfucks going over the GWB to work, and since I'd probably be commuting via mass transit, taking that extra PATH train stop would be annoying. Still, I'm not ruling it out, and I'll investigate when the time draws near! (meaning, when I'm about your age probably :lol: ).

Adam, that's some freakin' deal dude! I guess if you can handle it though, then it rules! What exactly are you doing up in the north country?

And yeah, +1 on Heidelberg, that place is the shit! The Schloss is fucking badass

Felix: I can imagine dude! If my TV volume is too loud at night I receive complaints! Haha that would be funny bro. Maybe we can hang out while I'm in Germany.

Marcus: I mentioned the PATH for my surrounding area here (I'm about 15 minutes from the GWB down a direct highway), but Fort Lee is literally right next to the GWB. You could take the bus right over to the GWB train station. Teaneck is very close to Fort Lee as well. So is Englewood. Just something to consider!

-Joe

So guys, will I find hot German chicks in Heidelberg? :) I hear it is a University town so I hope so.

Shit, there was another place I was thinking of close to the black forest Felix. Ah yes, Freiburg! Anyone recommend that place?

-Joe

doubtful :p

you could try Mannheim ... I remember there being more noticeable hotties there and its only a 1/2 hour train ride or so from Heidelberg

That bad? :puke::loco:

I'm gonna be in a few different parts of Germany anyway. Some small places, one called Garmisch, and ending it all in Munich for Oktoberfest and general chilling.

-Joe

That bad? :puke::loco:

I'm gonna be in a few different parts of Germany anyway. Some small places, one called Garmisch, and ending it all in Munich for Oktoberfest and general chilling.

-Joe

nah not that it was bad or anything ... go to any city and you're gonna find nice looking chicks. Just the few times I was in Heidelberg I didn't really notice anything all that great but there were a few clubs in Mannheim that seemed to be sportin some fine looking ladies

a few of my buddies and one of the guys in my band will be in munich again this year for the fest. They went last year and had a friggin blast so they're all cued up for this year again. Shame really, I wanted to go with them but can only afford one good trip this year and its gonna have to be to Berlin again to visit the wife's family :erk:

at least I'll get my turkish pizza fix and some currywurst :D

Felix: I can imagine dude! If my TV volume is too loud at night I receive complaints! Haha that would be funny bro. Maybe we can hang out while I'm in Germany.

Marcus: I mentioned the PATH for my surrounding area here (I'm about 15 minutes from the GWB down a direct highway), but Fort Lee is literally right next to the GWB. You could take the bus right over to the GWB train station. Teaneck is very close to Fort Lee as well. So is Englewood. Just something to consider!

-Joe

Hahaha this would be awesome indeed!! We´ll meet in New York first in August, drink some beer and destroy some music shops. I´m sure we´ll have a good time then. And when you New Yorker guys speak sloooowly to a German, i´m sure we will understand each other :lol: I´ll give you my phone number, when you visit Germany!

nah not that it was bad or anything ... go to any city and you're gonna find nice looking chicks. Just the few times I was in Heidelberg I didn't really notice anything all that great but there were a few clubs in Mannheim that seemed to be sportin some fine looking ladies

a few of my buddies and one of the guys in my band will be in munich again this year for the fest. They went last year and had a friggin blast so they're all cued up for this year again. Shame really, I wanted to go with them but can only afford one good trip this year and its gonna have to be to Berlin again to visit the wife's family :erk:

at least I'll get my turkish pizza fix and some currywurst :D

Ah gotcha. Yeah, bound be hot chicks anywhere...just gotta seek em out.

Sucks you can't make Oktoberfest!

-Joe

Hahaha this would be awesome indeed!! We´ll meet in New York first in August, drink some beer and destroy some music shops. I´m sure we´ll have a good time then. And when you New Yorker guys speak sloooowly to a German, i´m sure we will understand each other :lol: I´ll give you my phone number, when you visit Germany!

Haha don't worry, I'll try to keep it the least Yank possible for you dude. haha. Does you girl speak good English?

-Joe