Lee, can you get a goulash recipe from Julie?

I'm not so much into the Tokaji (too sweet for me) and Bull's Blood is a bit too robust for my palate, but Julie cooks a mean Gulyas Leves (Goulash soup).

We're going out for her birthday tonight, but she says she's happily post the recipe here in the next day or two :)

Would ya tell Julie that some insipid fellow on Ultimate Metal wishes her a happy birthday for me?

I second that, and thank her in advance for the culinary consultation. :D

Ahhh yes, I noticed you're from Surbiton! Isn't that where that show with Richard Briers and Penelope Keith was set? 'Good Neighbours'! Brilliant show, cult classic in America! :worship:

I second the thanks. I'm looking forward to eating something other than Subway or frozen burritos.

Oded said:
I second that, and thank her in advance for the culinary consultation. :D

Ahhh yes, I noticed you're from Surbiton! Isn't that where that show with Richard Briers and Penelope Keith was set? 'Good Neighbours'! Brilliant show, cult classic in America! :worship:

The Good Life :). It was set here but the actual location was in Teddington i believe, about 5 miles away. Looks pretty much the same though. I guess they chose Surbiton because it's pretty much the cliche of suburban London. All tree-lined streets and stockbrokers driving about in their Mercs.. It's a nice place to live, to be honest. Just too expensive, which is why we're moving ASAP.

I hear the real estate in Middlesbrough's dead cheap, although since you're not a heroin-addled single mother on the dole & the game you won't fit in there. :tickled:

That's right, the Good Life. For some reason they changed the name in America to Good Neighbours. Leave it to us to fuck things up. Witness, for example, the American versions of The Office, Coupling, One Foot In The Grave (starring Bill Cosby! o_O ), and Men Behaving Badly... :puke:

Just for the record, the best Gulyas Leves has no proper recipe, it's all about the "heart" and tasting it every minute as it cooks :loco:

Well, here's my recipe! I hope you enjoy it. It's based on the recipe from my Grandmother.

What you need:

salt
black pepper
poppy seeds (not too many)
onions (one big one)
Beef (1/2 a kilo or just over a 1lb)
4 carrots
1 parsnip
2-3 large potatos
Olive oil
chili powder
one large saucepan
Another saucepan but for boiling water
Some fresh bread

The Method

1) chop the onions into very fine pieces (use blender if possible - don't make it a mush, but get it as small as possible).

2) Chop the beef into small cubes.

3) Chop the vegetables into small horizontal pieces and dice the potatoes

4) Add the vegetables to the saucepan of boiling water and leave to simmer. We will come back to this later.

5) Heat some oil in the other pan (enough to cover base of pan). Add onions and cook until they go soft.

6) Take pan off of the heat. Add a large tablespoon of paprika powder, return to the heat and stir into the onions.

7) After a couple of minutes add the beef and spices (only a teaspoon of each.. less for the poppy seeds) and stir until the beef is brown.

8) Boil some water in a kettle and then pour over the mixture, just enough so the top of the meat is covered.

9) Leave to cook and stir every 10 minutes until the meat goes soft. Add more water if it looks like it's about to dry out (should take 30-40 minutes or so)

10) Once the meat is cooked, add the vegetables (water included) into the first saucepan (with the meat).

11) Stir and cook together for 5 minutes or so. Add more salt or chili powder according to taste.

12) Serve into large soup dishes and enjoy with some nice fresh bread!

Remember, Gulyas (Goulash) Leves is a soup! What is served as "Goulash" in most places outside of Hungary is actually a stew called "Porkolt". You can make Porkolt by avoiding the vegetables / water part of the recipe, making a thick sauce instead of the soup (only onions / beef in Porkolt).

Thanks

Julie

Yeah, thanks Julie... now I am under wifely pressure to cook this dish! Somehow I doubt that mine is going to be as good as yours :ill:

Hal x