Let the Celebrations Begin WATERSHED has been unleashed

Because this city sucks, it took me about 45 minutes to wade through the traffic to get to the mall, while it should only have taken about 15 or 20. Cars were basically stopped on the interstate for no apparent reason - ostensibly because of 'road work', but no one was working on the road. Anyway, arrive I finally did...
... And now the (special edition) album is mine! m/ And I can see that I'm going to be listening to this over and over until it sinks in. What a strange album.
Hail to everyone who waited! m/

Traffic was so bad because everyone was out buying Watershed.

Traffic was so bad because everyone was out buying Watershed.
:lol:

On the contrary I didn't know what the Aussie release date was so I drove to the mall just hoping it would be released that Saturday. So I grabbed a copy of the SE off the front display (I was pleased Opeth was being noticed by the masses) that had 'free poster' on the front (nothing gigantic, but quality all the same) and the chick had to take the plastic off the poster tube. I may interpret this as me being the first purchaser, or extreme sales necessitating multiple tubes.. I'm going to opt for the former, makes me feel important :err:

My release day was amazing i waited i feel soo good that i did now. Coil is amazing i love the intro anyway i picked up the album at coconuts instead of smaller record stores I liked it alot thanks for the NEW OPETH RECORD! Cheers everyone :)

I am soooooooo happy. What a great album! This feels like a classic. Great job all around. And yet another really excellent sounding record by Jens!

Incidentally, I played some for my 60 year old dad, and he liked a lot of it, actually. He said at one point, "That reminds me of Jethro Tull!"

im not sure if someboday posted this. but i though this was funny...

KNAC.COM: Now that you're seen as a "respected musician" are there any other collaborations or projects in the works?

Åkerfeldt: (Laughs) I don't really need collaborations, but I get asked constantly to be part of this project or that. I get asked by people and I'm like "what the fuck, how do you know about us? And why do you like it?" We've been in the business for such a long time that you end up meeting some people you wouldn't normally meet. I got an e-mail from Rick Rubin the other day, just to say hello. I'm hoping it wasn't like a scam, these days you never know (laughs). But it's weird, more people seem to know us than I ever would have imagined. And I guess there are worse problems to have.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=98258

Incidentally, I played some for my 60 year old dad, and he liked a lot of it, actually. He said at one point, "That reminds me of Jethro Tull!"

I think that one of the things that Opeth does right is to use a lot of "classic" stuff like blues scales and such... many new bands completely overlook older music and miss out on that.

im not sure if someboday posted this. but i though this was funny...

KNAC.COM: Now that you're seen as a "respected musician" are there any other collaborations or projects in the works?

Åkerfeldt: (Laughs) I don't really need collaborations, but I get asked constantly to be part of this project or that. I get asked by people and I'm like "what the fuck, how do you know about us? And why do you like it?" We've been in the business for such a long time that you end up meeting some people you wouldn't normally meet. I got an e-mail from Rick Rubin the other day, just to say hello. I'm hoping it wasn't like a scam, these days you never know (laughs). But it's weird, more people seem to know us than I ever would have imagined. And I guess there are worse problems to have.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=98258

We can still hope for that Åkerfeldt, Portnoy and Wilson collaboration...

I had that feeling too at one point. I think it was Hessian Peel.

I have heard Watershed two times now, and I'm slowly getting into it. But it'll still take some more listens to really catch fire.

I said in another thread that there would be no "Lopez Beat" on Watershed. Second time round I noticed I was wrong: 8:12 into Heir Apparent and 2:27 into Porcelain Heart. :headbang:

Im impressed, easily Album of the fucking year!

Watershed- An amazing and brilliant album by the band Opeth .

Everything from the vocals being pushed into darker realms, the cool keyboard effects, blast beats, out of tune acoustics, diversity, variety,quality are all just Amazing! just an absolute killer record from start to finish, its fucking legendary man... it blew my mind. Watershed has many cool suprises that kick ass, I feel its the best Opeth record since Still life, or My arms.

Steve Wilson is right, the production is astounding better than anywork Rick Rubin could do. The album renews my faith in Mikes Genius mind, and with a new lineup... a very strong rebirth by Opeth.

Long Live Opeth...

After watching the DVD and listening to the cd over 10 times today and yesterday, my new idol is definately Martin Axenrot. What a GREAT, diverse, fast drummer. The PERFECT fit for OPETH.

My first reaction to Coil was that Mike has improved his voice very much and started to experiment with the melodies and rhythms. And Nathalie is just amazing. She puts so much feel in those vocals. Gives me chills. Lovely song. I don't have enough words for describing it. Beautiful.

Then Heir Apparent. About the drums: the new drum sound kicks ass. The snare in the intro was the first thing I noticed to be different from the past. And a nice big "fuck you" for those saying that Axe doesn't have the groove and the feel in his playing. Awesome.

Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater sounded very very impressive straight away. New kind of heavy stuff on those ones. I also loved the jazzy thing in The Lotus Eater. Cool drums in that one. The clean vocals on that one are amazing.

Burden is very good too. This and some other songs gave me a feeling that this album has picked styles from every Opeth album. And the outro in this one is awesome.

After 4 listens or something the 3 last songs haven't got stuck in my mind so much as the first 4. But although I loved the album already on the first time, I think it will more and more grow on me. The "Lock the children away from harm" part in Hessian Peel has a very nice melody imo.

The song writing is more and more experimental I think on this album. I feel that Mike is not taking it too seriously this time around. If you listen to the previous albums like Deliverance or Blackwater Park it's mostly very seriously made metal. But this one has fun stuff in it. And it breaks many boundaries. Kicks you in the face when you expect it the least.

I felt that this is what Ghost Reveries should have been. Natural continuation to Opeth's album catalogue. Heir Apparent made me think that this is old Opeth stuff (mostly Blackwater Park) brought to a new level.

I bought the special edition (I think it's more like the normal edition, most stores seem to have only the SE lol) and the cover is much nicer irl imo. Nice pics.
Haven't had the time to check the dvd out yet.

cheers.

The Special Edition is,

#58 for (music) sales at amazon
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #58 in Music
Popular in these categories:

#1 in Music > Hard Rock & Metal > Progressive Metal
#1 in Music > Rock > Progressive
#1 in Music > International > Europe > Scandinavia > Sweden

Regular is,

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #165 in Music
Popular in these categories:

#2 in Music > International > Europe > Scandinavia > Sweden