Whole Watershed Album

You're clearly not a real fan of this band...

You have a right to like or dislike whatever you want, but come on, man.

Any hardcore Opeth fan should love Watershed.

Any hardcore Opeth fan should have nothing but 'utter contempt' for this monstrosity of an album.

Other than Mike's voice, this album holds no resemblance whatsoever to the band I have loved over the years.

"Burden" sounds like it came right off a Barry Manilow album, for Christs sake! (If you don't believe me, then go and listen to some gay ass manilow and try to honestly refute this)

With "Watershed" Mike just squatted over your guys' face and took a crap right in your mouths, and all that most of you can say is UMM!!! YUMMY!!!

So, all of you butt sniffers, just keep sniffing, and liking what you sniff and you'll just keep getting more of the same of this kind of crap from Opeth.

Change is fine. They have changed alot over the years, but managed to still sound like the same band. Did they need to go this far and try and resurrect a dead 30+ year old genre? Opeth used to just incorporate the 70's prog into Thier own style, but now they are trying to clone it completely with most of this record. Is it ever time for a drastic change? Yes, but maybe only when every other band is trying to copy what you do. But this has not happened! Opeth has remained unique and unparalleled.

Change is fine. They have changed alot over the years, but managed to still sound like the same band. Did they need to go this far and try and resurrect a dead 30+ year old genre? Opeth used to just incorporate the 70's prog into Thier own style, but now they are trying to clone it completely with most of this record. Is it ever time for a drastic change? Yes, but maybe only when every other band is trying to copy what you do. But this has not happened! Opeth has remained unique and unparalleled.

I don't get you. First you say you have utter contempt for the album and now you're saying "change is fine, Opeth is the same band"?

I don't get you. First you say you have utter contempt for the album and now you're saying "change is fine, Opeth is the same band"?

I don't understand what is so hard to get. They change with every album but still sound like opeth. But with this album, just remove Mike's distinct vocals and you'd never be able to tell that this is the same band. very simple

I might get flamed for saying this but as of right now Im going to say Watershed is Opeth's best album so far.

I doubt you're gonna get flamed for that, cause everybody here seems to adore it. But I am betting that once the newness of wheres off, it'll be ranked alot closer to the bottom in hindsight.

Are you kidding?

Nope

tracklist

1. happy and gay
2. thier most brutal song to date
3. avant garde nonsense
4. barry manilow rip off
5. regurgitated riffs from 2 previous albums coupled with cheesy lullaby lyrics
6. Total hippie rock with a few verses of death vox thrown over a few lazy riffs (kind of as a last goodbye to the all the death metal aspects of this band)
7. Could easily be on a porcupine tree album.

So no I'm not kidding, this album is all over the freakin place my friend, thus denying it atmosphere and any form of continuity. All of thier previous efforts flowed with a seamless brilliance and took you on a dark yet blissful journey.

But hey I'm glad that the rest of you like it....well......not really. I wish you all were suffering with me in this worst of all time musical let downs.

Nope

tracklist

1. happy and gay
2. thier most brutal song to date
3. avant garde nonsense
4. barry manilow rip off
5. regurgitated riffs from 2 previous albums coupled with cheesy lullaby lyrics
6. Total hippie rock with a few verses of death vox thrown over a few lazy riffs (kind of as a last goodbye to the all the death metal aspects of this band)
7. Could easily be on a porcupine tree album.

So no I'm not kidding, this album is all over the freakin place my friend, thus denying it atmosphere and any form of continuity. All of thier previous efforts flowed with a seamless brilliance and took you on a dark yet blissful journey.

But hey I'm glad that the rest of you like it....well......not really. I wish you all were suffering with me in this worst of all time musical let downs.

:lol: Barry Manilow

Oh Gonrow, you slay me :lol:

I might get flamed for saying this but as of right now Im going to say Watershed is Opeth's best album so far.

I agree completely. None of their other albums have...whatever it is Watershed has, but it's my favorite because of that.

This is ridiculous. It's Opeth. Everyone knows we all need to wait at least 2 more months and 50 more listens before giving an opinion.

I'm betting that once the initial panic and excitement wears off the opinion will be a consensual "this is a good album".

I'd say that this gives a good reflection on how I 'd order the Opeth albums in greatness, though not necessarily the same score. But I would give Watershed the 3.85 out of 5. It, in my opinion, has many good aspects but quite a bit of the time it gets caught up in it's own pretentiousness. It sometimes seems that it's trying too hard to be prog and out of the ordinary i.e. detuning of the guitar, and some of the songs just seem to wander off. Also I'm not too fond of this faux-evil sound they've tried to implement, like in Porcelain Heart.