When is "Would?" AIC cover going to be released?

^Yeah! The first time I watched Lamentations, I didn't notice it too badly. Then I read a review that mentioned it and I couldn't STAND it. And now, it's just kind of, yeah, iconic.

I was really looking forward to hearing the Opeth treatment for "Would". I think that's a perfect song for them to cover, and I even think that it could be a huge hit for them if radio were to give it some spins. Hopefully we will get some official news on it soon.

I think that's a perfect song for them to cover, and I even think that it could be a huge hit for them if radio were to give it some spins.

I don't know if it's yet to the point where bands can get radio hits by covering grunge songs, I think we're STILL stuck on the 80s (lovesong, tainted love, blue monday, you spin me right round, faith, etcetcetcetc).

i thought it would be on the japanese version, since it said "one japan-only bonus track", but turns out it's Derelict Herds.
so i'm thinking we won't get to hear it anytime soon, if ever ...

I thought it was the cover versions that were going to be on the special edition and that Derelict Herds was going to be on the Japanese version.... I pre-ordered the special edition pack with the vinyl and the CD version, so I think hopefully I will have all the bonus tracks in there somewhere.

Everywhere you look, you see different track listings for the special and vinyl editions... If I order both the special and the vinyl edition, will I have all the bonus tracks?

I don't think they'd relegate the cover that's both most identifiable and by far the most expensive to acquire the rights to to a vinyl only, my guess is there's some kind of legal hassles going on. Unless it's been announced to be on the vinyl version in which case I don't get it unlessit's bad :O

Covers on an album fall under compulsory licensing in the United States, and due to the equalizing effect of the Berne Convention, probably the western world over.

There are no legal hassles involved. Unless a band changes the lyrics to the underlying work, the original artist cannot block the song from appearing as a cover on another album, hence the "compulsory" part. This is because copyright law only guarantees the author the right to exploit their work first.

Currently, statutory royalty rate in the United states is $0.091 for songs under five minutes with another $0.0175 cents for each minute over five. This is nonnegotiable (unless you the original artist wants to charge less, which generally never happens). This rate is per album shipped to retail. AIC cannot charge more than this under any circumstances. It also wouldn't cost anymore or less if Opeth decided to cover a B-side off a Dave Clarke Five single instead of a popular Alice in Chains song.

Covers on an album fall under compulsory licensing in the United States, and due to the equalizing effect of the Berne Convention, probably the western world over.

There are no legal hassles involved. Unless a band changes the lyrics to the underlying work, the original artist cannot block the song from appearing as a cover on another album, hence the "compulsory" part. This is because copyright law only guarantees the author the right to exploit their work first.

Currently, statutory royalty rate in the United states is $0.091 for songs under five minutes with another $0.0175 cents for each minute over five. This is nonnegotiable (unless you the original artist wants to charge less, which generally never happens). This rate is per album shipped to retail. AIC cannot charge more than this under any circumstances. It also wouldn't cost anymore or less if Opeth decided to cover a B-side off a Dave Clarke Five single instead of a popular Alice in Chains song.

^Knows his/her shit.