Watershed Outro's

opeth8

My Arms, Your Casket
Sep 29, 2005
USA
Amongst my favorite Opeth moments are the extended outro's of such songs as Deliverance & Harlequin Forest.

Watershed has some great ending riffs (Heir Apparent, Hex Omega) but I wanted more.

Hex Omega especially has such a great ending. Personally I wish it lasted another minute or so with some double bass kicking in (old school Opeth like) It really could've been an epic finish to the song & album.

Burden on the other hand should of ended 20 seconds sooner. My least favorite outro of their entire catalog.

The outro to "Burden" kicks ass.

I love the endings/outros to all the songs on Watershed.

While I can surely understand burden's outro is loved/hated by many (well thats an exaggeration but you get my point) since its so original I always thought it was a part of the song and just lived with it, nothing special about it.

Talking about outros like Opeth8 who mentioned deliverance outro I couldnt do anything but agree with you on that point. Opeth has some really really great outros and watershed wasnt dissapointing at all due to the fact that it has heir apparent and hex omega which are so good!

So many epic outros,

Perhaps my favourite is Godhead's Lament. He starts singing 'perplexion' again making you think the protagonist has finally found peace, then at the last second he changes his mind and growls his frustration. Powerful stuff.

Deliverance & Harlequin Forest definitely have two of the best Opeth outros. However, I think the groove at 7:45 in Hessian Peel makes up for the lack of an amazing outro in respects to Deliverance & Harlequin. I honestly think that's what the riff is supposed to do, serve the purpose of having a very memorable groove (again like the two endings from previous said songs).