Whole Watershed Album

Derelict Herds is a good song but the quality of the rest of the album is just TOO HIGH for that song to fit. It is clearly weaker than all the other songs simply because the rest of the album is just too amazing (sorry for the fanboyish-ness but thats just how it sounds to me)... works perfectly as a bonus track for me...

as for the other conversation. not bashing anyone. im just befuddled (thats right haha) at how someone could say they've liked Opeth's past material but don't like watershed. To me it is not only pushing in many new and interesting directions, it is also a throw-back to the glory days of Opeth in many ways. Many of the riffs (Heir Apparent) remind me of My Arms/ Still Life era...

Nope

tracklist

1. happy and gay
2. thier most brutal song to date
3. avant garde nonsense
4. barry manilow rip off
5. regurgitated riffs from 2 previous albums coupled with cheesy lullaby lyrics
6. Total hippie rock with a few verses of death vox thrown over a few lazy riffs (kind of as a last goodbye to the all the death metal aspects of this band)
7. Could easily be on a porcupine tree album.

So no I'm not kidding, this album is all over the freakin place my friend, thus denying it atmosphere and any form of continuity. All of thier previous efforts flowed with a seamless brilliance and took you on a dark yet blissful journey.

But hey I'm glad that the rest of you like it....well......not really. I wish you all were suffering with me in this worst of all time musical let downs.

Avant garde nonsense... if no-one would be experimenting, music would be pretty boring.

Nope

tracklist

1. happy and gay
3. avant garde nonsense
4. barry manilow rip off
6. Total hippie rock with a few verses of death vox thrown over a few lazy riffs (kind of as a last goodbye to the all the death metal aspects of this band)

So no I'm not kidding, this album is all over the freakin place my friend, thus denying it atmosphere and any form of continuity. All of thier previous efforts flowed with a seamless brilliance and took you on a dark yet blissful journey.

But hey I'm glad that the rest of you like it....well......not really. I wish you all were suffering with me in this worst of all time musical let downs.

Chancellor, as your Arbiter of Succession I strongly urge you to hold of on making any premature judgements on this matter. More time is needed to process the information on the disc.

(I beg your pardon, everyone, I was set off on a ST craze)

Gowron, each to their own yadda yadda but did you ever think that the album was supposed to lack a 'direction' per se. That particular aspect of the album was the whole atmosphere for me. It's definitely not my favourite but I actually love it. "Just because it's mellow, doesn't mean it's not evil" etc.

Response to your break-down: 'Coil'..the lyrics are not happy and gay and neither is the music. Avante-garde..not especially so. Copacobana?! Fair enough, Porcelain Heart is crap. Not that hippie music is a bad thing, but it's a beautiful track. Not a dig, but it seems you can't appreciate the lighter break from the heavy death metal stuff (which I love also).

Anyway, Derelict Herds is shite :p Bash that track! Bridge of Sighs and Den Standiga are brill though.

Nope

tracklist

1. happy and gay
3. avant garde nonsense
4. barry manilow rip off

I've drawn the following conclusions:
3. You have no idea what avant-garde is.
4. You have no idea who Barry Manilow is.
7. You have no idea who Porcupine Tree are.

Basically, it's kind of like...

I'm unqualified to be saying this but here goes nothing.

Hating Watershed is fine, just try not to say stupid things in the process. The shit you'll catch here for the former alone should be enough to keep you busy.

Nope

tracklist

1. happy and gay
3. avant garde nonsense
4. barry manilow rip off

I'm not sure you have a clue what you're talking about here. Burden owes more to early Moody Blues than Manilow. I'll give you that Porcelain has a recycled riff or two...but really? Are you that disappointed by this album?

There's plenty of continuity on this album. I feel that it flows MUCH better than Ghost Reveries - the last half of Watershed has a continuous atmosphere that GR simply did not have.

Give them a break, dude. They have the opportunity to do what true musicians do - try new things, explore new sonic horizons. I hear what you're saying. I think it's just the whole Manilow thing that makes me want to hit you with a shovel. :Smug:

This is ridiculous. It's Opeth. Everyone knows we all need to wait at least 2 more months and 50 more listens before giving an opinion.

I'm betting that once the initial panic and excitement wears off the opinion will be a consensual "this is a good album".

so fucking true, after like 20 listens to the album i'm thinking its quite brilliant, and i take back gr vs watershed, i'm liking watershed quite a bit more now.

well one things for sure..what mike said was true.. some ppl won't like this album..

Of course some are disapointed at this point, but Watershed is an album that will get better as it ages; it doesn't have the catchyness of the previous albums, but it's a lot fresher and what's the point in doing the same album for 10 times? It wouldn't be highly progressive anymore.