Let's fight boredom!

What shall we discuss now?

• Your interpretation of ** artwork (**=any DT album)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Thoughts about power/black/death/etc. metal

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • IN FLAMES sucks!!!!! (flame war expected)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • The person you hate the most and why

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best DT ballad?

• Is stupidity a characteristic of mankind?

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Your favourite philosopher and why

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Is this board becoming boring?

• Ban genetically modified hazelnuts!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Should squirrels have the right to vote?

• All the 10

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

DGR XVI

Strange poetic squirrel
Apr 14, 2005
In an old tree
So I noticed several people here thought this board was becoming increasingly boring... well, time has come to fight boredom now !

I just searched in my little brain and found... 10 wonderful thread ideas ! So what do you want to discuss now people? Just vote!

(I know most of them are lame, but at least I tried to ACT rather than complaining. And some are even funny ;) )

And if you prefer, I got another question: what do you think about Christians? Had a painful Christian experience last evening and can't prevent myself from discussing it ;)

Nice of you to start something like this DGR XVI. I basically like all the potential threads you listed out.. I think we could make something out of every one of them.
And, yes.. I'd like to hear about your last night's experience too :)

I voted DT artwork, even though I have already seen a thread like this before. Now I think about it, The best DT ballad would be a better discussion. Make that one, I demand it. And I agree, you should have just made the thread dude, nobody here will flame you for trying to inject life into this place.

Right. I agree I may have been better creating a thread rather than discussing "potential" threads. But really, I didn't want to flood the board by posting 5 threads at the same time. "Best DT ballad" may be interesting and I will launch this one soon :)

And about my last night experience, sorry but it's not as interesting as if I had a vision... I wish I had a vision one day, I would feel like a "chosen" one amongst common people ;)

actually it was just an encounter with some narrow-minded Christians. My flatmate took me to a party in her evangelist church (for the birthday of one of her churchmate). I'm really interested into religious stuff (not only Christianity, but ancient religions too) and always ready to discuss it with other people, but people there just wanted to turn me into a Christian by trying to demonstrate it was the only "true" religion. They didn't even accept the fact that the Christian, Jewish and Muslim God were the same... I think, it's normal to defend things you're believing in, but I REALLY had the impression that these people had no life outside of their church :confused:

... and no, I didn't even do any provocation, like coming with my Emperor or Therion T-shirt ;)

(but I know that all Christians are not like that. Some of my best friends are Christian too).

PS - I forgot to tick the box allowing to see who voted for what. Rahvin, you can change it, can't you? thanks :)

King Chaos said:
I'm currently taking a ride on the lollercoaster. ;)
The dilemma remains, is that a random fact or is it how you are feeling now? I just don't know which way to turn.

This thread is quite out of date now since I've begin one of the suggested threads (though he got exactly 0 vote :p )

.......and "discussing the discussion" is likely to give me an headache ;)

genetic modifications strike my interest, especially because it's a topic that provides vast occasions for being stupid. :p

so i'll open the next line of discussion in this multipurpose thread. in italy, we're soon going to have a vote in order to keep or repeal a law that prohibits most techniques of artificial reproduction. so, what do you think of:

- using means of artificial reproduction when a couple is able to procreate sexually (i.e. there are no medical problems relating to the sexual act and reproduction for either the man or the woman)
- using human embryos for stem cell research
- using 'double blind' sperm banks for insemination, meaning that a woman can choose to be artificially inseminated with the sperm of someone whose identity she does not know

- more generally (it's not directly related to the law we need to repeal/keep, but it's loosely on the same theme): what do you think of abortion?
- and what about human cloning?

hyena said:
- using means of artificial reproduction when a couple is able to procreate sexually (i.e. there are no medical problems relating to the sexual act and reproduction for either the man or the woman)
Why not? If they're willing to pay for all that crap then let them.
hyena said:
I'm not one of those people who considers an embryo to be a person, so go ahead and probe it all you like Mr(s) Scientist.
hyena said:
- using 'double blind' sperm banks for insemination, meaning that a woman can choose to be artificially inseminated with the sperm of someone whose identity she does not know
Once more I don't have much of a problem with this, at least that I can think of this late in the day. I think a woman would have to be very stupid to do it, but I think she should have the choice (about doing it, not about being stupid). Well okay I can see some sense in not knowing the donor, it's just not something I'd ever recommend.
hyena said:
- more generally (it's not directly related to the law we need to repeal/keep, but it's loosely on the same theme): what do you think of abortion?
Abortion is fine, people should have the option.
hyena said:
Ahh this is a tricky one. Cloning just for the hell of it, say, should not be allowed. I just don't see any need for it, and who wants two people to be exactly the same? Uniqueness is good. But then if it's possible to cure a person's illness by using a clone's organ, tissue, or whatever it is that's needed, then I'm not so sure. For the sake of the patient I'd be tempted to allow it, but what happens to the clone after it's donated its organ/tissue/freedom of choice? Will it even want to do so? Won't it have to grow up first, meaning one hell of a wait? How is it going to feel after watching Star Wars episode 2? Overall, no, it's a minefield of uncertainties. Unless there is some other use for clones that I'm missing. Best to spend efforts on other cures or forms of research or whatever.

@Squirrel: About your christian experience: stupid people are everywhere. The fact that the stupid people you met were christians, means nothing about christians in general.
Apart from that, there are quite a few christian doctrines, other more closed-minded than others. So i think it's kind of a false logic to judge a whole system of beliefs, just from a few closed-minded people who belong in a specific doctrine of a big church.
Perhaps religion is one of those fields that attract the biggest number of fanatics. But that doesn't necessarily invalidate the ideas behind said religion.

@hyena:
i think it's plain stupid.
when the physical way (in anything) can be used, i think that's better, for a number of reasons. in this case, evolution is one of those reasons.

this is not a simple matter, and it has some ethical dilemmas behind it. when is an embryo considered a human, and up to what age would the scientists would be allowed to use it? i think that past a certain number of days, an embryo IS a human being and should be treated accordingly. otherwise, we might as well kill babies and use them for research (but do you see anyone do it?)
anyway, i'd rather use some other source for stem cells when that's possible.

the biggest problem i see in this is the possibility of kids in future generations that are related to each other without knowing it and thus unknowingly proceed to incest.
and the fact that some kids would grow without ever having the chance to meet a father.
but in some cases it can be useful.

apart from the embryo perspective that everyone sees, i want to point out that it can be very dangerous for the woman and i certainly don't like its consequences to the female body.

no comment. it's too late and too complex a matter to discuss right now.