Let's fight boredom!

What shall we discuss now?

• Your interpretation of ** artwork (**=any DT album)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Thoughts about power/black/death/etc. metal

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • IN FLAMES sucks!!!!! (flame war expected)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • The person you hate the most and why

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best DT ballad?

• Is stupidity a characteristic of mankind?

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Your favourite philosopher and why

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Is this board becoming boring?

• Ban genetically modified hazelnuts!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Should squirrels have the right to vote?

• All the 10

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
..or on chains of deoxyribonucleic acid
wink.gif

Siren said:
in this case, evolution is one of those reasons.
Evolution in general would hardly be affected with differing methods of delivery of the goods
And in the case of humans, which as it is can no longer undergo evolution in the natural sense of the word, it becomes irrelevant
wink.gif

i more or less agree with rusty on everything. :)

except, i'm not sure i care whether we can or cannot consider an embryo a person. in general, it does seem natural to me to think that life begins when a (future) new person is conceived. on the other hand, at times i even have trouble considering certain full-grown people as persons. still, i don't buy into the "if you consider it a living human being then you cannot kill it" theory. i find it perfectly possible to both consider it a living human being and to kill it. it wouldn't be the first exception to rules against "taking a life" in society, and it does seem to me far less outrageous than some.

MagSec4 said:
Evolution in general would hardly be affected with differing methods of delivery of the goods
Have you ever heard of natural selection?
I think it's a tad different to have a million sperms of which the strongest manages to invade the ovum that made it that far, and to artificially pick a random sperm and put it next to an artificially picked ovum.

MagSec4 said:
And in the case of humans, which as it is can no longer undergo evolution in the natural sense of the word, it becomes irrelevant
wink.gif
And why, pray, the humans can no longer undergo evolution in the natural sense of the word? Are we just that perfect, or is evolution something like marmalade that we just ran out of?

... to go back to the Christians, I said that THESE CHRISTIANS I MET ON SATURDAY NIGHT IN THIS EVANGELIST CHURCH were narrow-minded. Nothing more ;) . I fully respect Christiannity as well as every other religion, and that may be the reason why I'm quite annoyed when people don't respect my own "religion"
(I believe in one God and that's all, without calling him "Jesus", "Allah" or whatever you want - so basically it is the same religion...)

On genetics MagSec is quite right IMHO. Unfortunately (?) Human can now more or less influence the way it will "evolve" (by modifying its environment, or by "manipulating itself" as Misanthrope said), so it's not really "natural", as he said. It's my humble squirrel-ish opinion, of course.

Does he mean a survival of the fittest thing? In nature, some kind of disabled animal will soon die, less suitable genes are eventually weeded out. With humanity now, the disabled, impaired, etc. are catered for. Fitness is much less an issue.

Siren said:
Have you ever heard of natural selection?
I think it's a tad different to have a million sperms of which the strongest manages to invade the ovum that made it that far, and to artificially pick a random sperm and put it next to an artificially picked ovum.
That has very little to do with evolution. It is not about the strongest sperm, it is about the living organisms that are more suitable to survive. Think about it; how would great genetics for intelligence possibly help a sperm cell 'make it that far and win' ?

Siren said:
And why, pray, the humans can no longer undergo evolution in the natural sense of the word? Are we just that perfect, or is evolution something like marmalade that we just ran out of?
Not at all. Humans are very far from being a perfect race, even though some would like to think otherwise.
Natural selection works through the survival of certain groups and the death of certain others. Giraffes, for example: The ones that just happened to have slightly longer necks were better at survival because they could reach the more unreachable food. They therefore thrived more while those with unfavorable genetics for shorter necks slowly died off. And with time, it starts to appear as if giraffes had longer and longer necks.
This cannot happen with humans because of our society. People with genes that would be 'naturally unfavorable' will not simply die off. Society does tend to treat people of different kinds with more equality than nature treats its other organisms. For example the population that doesn't necessarily have a high intellect will never die off, because society needs them too. In our society, anyone and everyone could be useful somehow. In the same way, some of the people that have genetic advantages over others don't necessarily thrive more. In fact, it's just as likely for a genetically disadvantaged random person in the world to have 8 children, as it is for a genetically 'gifted' person to have a single child or none at all.
Society goes against nature.
Human kind goes against nature.
We are the only organisms in the planet that do not live in a natural equilibrium with our habitat.
It's somewhat similar to a virus, which not always establishes a natural equilibrium with the host organism. It may reproduce uncontrolably, overtaking its habitat (the host) until it completely uses the needed resources and destroys it.

DGR XVI said:
They didn't even accept the fact that the Christian, Jewish and Muslim God were the same...

this part is a little off. you can't expect them to agree with you just to show that they're open-minded. a christian does not believe in the identity of the three deities (well, it's not as if he believes that there are three, but anyway), that's not necessarily part of trying to convince you.

and i'm sorry, but it seems i can't change the options for the poll the way you want to.

So you're not the almighty mod I thought ;) Thanks anyway, it was not really important :)

You're partially right about the "three or one god (s)", I know some Christians (regular church-going Christians) who agree that it's actually the same god.

And there is the way you give your opinions... this is what annoyed me most with these guys.

MagSec4 said:
Think about it; how would great genetics for intelligence possibly help a sperm cell 'make it that far and win' ?
Perhaps by making the sperm cell that much smarter? ;)

As for the rest, i prefer to think of the human race as bacteria in a cultivation. Eventually they'll both die from their own shit. :p

IN FLAMES SUCKS ???????????????? I've only listened to'Soundtrack to your escape and 'Colony but I'll buy everything else they have.I totally like the band.It will be interesting to hear other opinions also.I'm for it .

I think RtR tracks are pretty much teh pwn live.. and even though STYE isnt a killer musicwise I still like it..
It's become cool to bash IF, just like CoF or Slipknot or whatever.. and as always, despite the truth in their bashing, the bashors are nothing but ridiculous, so let's grab each others hands and be merry and forget the whole issue before the avalanche of bla burries everything else under it, kthxbye

I think RtR tracks are pretty much teh pwn live.. and even though STYE isnt a killer musicwise I still like it..
It's become cool to bash IF, just like CoF or Slipknot or whatever.. and as always, despite the truth in their bashing, the bashors are nothing but ridiculous, so let's grab each others hands and be merry and forget the whole issue before the avalanche of bla burries everything else under it, kthxbye

Have you ever noticed that a large amount of IF bashing comes from DT fanboys and fangirlies? Just an observation I've made since about 1998.

I think DT fanboys have something to be pissed about. Back in the day Im sure they had an equal love for both DT and In Flames but In flames stuck a knife in their fans side when they actually became really nu-metally. Elitistists were bound to take huge offence to this and be literally spiteful in response.

Some people have probably lost sight somewhat in why they are bashing in flames, and that pisses me off, because although they have definately not got better, they are still totally listenable as taliesin said. Their best track will forever be biosphere though. I love that folky melody.