Worst part of any Opeth song?

Drum fill in To Bid You Farewell
Anything not acoustic in The Night and the Silent Water
Ending of Serenity Painted Death
The Moor's intro
That part in Blackwater Park...

Moonlapse said:
A good majority of Night and the Silent Water, especially the ending part. One of the biggest anti-climaxes I've heard.
I always considered the acoustic fade-in to electric with the whispering to be the climax of that song :confused: then again I guess whispering isn't the most climactic way of singing...

Moonlapse said:
My worst moment is probably the end of Deliverance. It's turned into a complete gimmick, and musically its pretty worthless (I'm a Meshuggah fan, so don't even start with the rhythm bullshit).
Speaking of gimmicks....thats the thing that pisses me off about that soft part in Masters Apprentice. Opeth have always had subtle changes from heavy to soft on their past albums, but it seemed like they were trying to hard to show it off in Masters Apprentice when the Death Vocals come blasting out of nowhere...I choose to blame Steve Wilson :D

I've pretty much read what everyone's said about their least favorite parts...so there's not much for me to say, besides I agree with some but disagree with others...

-Outro to A fair judgement? I like it, very sabbath-esque.
-Beginning of the Moor? Again, I like it, sets the mood for the entire album.
-Quick break off of Closure? Happens to be one of my favorites on the album, but I agree that they could've ended it better.
-Night and Silent water anti-climax? Ehh, I rather like it, the song seems sad somehow, like the failing of a struggle to survive. So I think it fits.
-Demon of the Fall acoustic? I love it. Enough said.
-Deliverance Outro? I thought it was a bit drawn out at first, but have grown to really wait in anticipation for it, mainly for the andrenaline rush heheh.
-Dreamy part of the BWP song? Love it.
-By the pain I see in others vocal effect? I think it fits in a suitably sinister sounding song. (4 s's...tongue twister there.)

Anyway I don't dislike any part of an Opeth song, there are some parts of longer songs that don't always hold my complete attention, but if I had to choose I'd say that really light part in Master's Apprentice, with the airy singing. Of course it's then made up for by:

"plunging into the deepest void
departed shell left drained behind!"

I'd have to say the drum fill at the end of To Bid You Farewell and the solos in White Cluster should have been a little louder.

Too many good guitar parts, too long of songs. Not that I'm complaining. Sometimes I'll be listening to a metal channel on the net or on satellite and an Opeth song will be on and it takes me a few minutes to figure out which one it is, cuz they kinda sound alike.

Stoner Sioux said:
Too many good guitar parts, too long of songs. Not that I'm complaining. Sometimes I'll be listening to a metal channel on the net or on satellite and an Opeth song will be on and it takes me a few minutes to figure out which one it is, cuz they kinda sound alike.

When I was new to Opeth, and heard my brother listening to them quite often (and playing along with his bass), I honestly thought all the songs sounded the same, since he only had BWP and Deliverance at the time. I also couldn't stand the harsh vocals.

My brother then downloaded "The Moor", and told me to listen to it more than once, to let it sink in. It became my favorite song and I was compelled to buy Still Life, which was one of the greatest music purchases I've ever made, I'd say.

By the way, I had also realized after that the songs only "sounded the same" to me because, well, they were the same few songs over and over again. At the time I didn't know their songs were so long and diverse, so I would think different parts of the same song were 2 different, yet similar sounding songs. Boy was I wrong. I also got used to the harsh vocals quite quickly, and I loved how they interplayed with the clean vocals throughout the songs.

Long story short, my brother and I have the whole Opeth catalogue now, and like I said, I don't think I've ever been happier with a band. Hell, I'm even trying to get my parents to like them. Both really like Damnation, but my dad's trying to deal with the death vocals on most of the albums, which he's not used to. I have hope though, He's an original sabbath, zeppelin, king crimson, and pink floyd fan, and he does like Opeth's music alot, just has trouble with the vocals. Oh well, he'll learn someday.

Sorry for being so boring, just felt like telling everyone that haha.