Best Opeth riff!?

Dec 8, 2003
What is in your opinion the best ever riff by Opeth?
Mine would have to be, if only mentioned one, the outro on April Ethereal!!
It just kicks ass, and is such an incredible ending to an incredible song!
Oh,by the way, I´m new here, so hello everyone!(I´ve been an Opeth fan for about 6 months!Have all their albums except for Orchid (should get it any day now) and Damnation)!

Serenity Painted Death ( 3.16 if I'm not mistaken ) ..
Not the best , but it sounds like it's deliverance

Serenity Painted Death. The riff with 'Saw her..... blank stare into me' etc. etc. Except WITH the lead. I think that makes one of the best rhythm/lead riff combos I have heard in my entire life. It's like both parts are playing their own seperate phrases yet it entwines so flawlessly.

Wow, this would be impossible to narrow down for me, but If I had to choose, Still Life. That whole album is full of my favorite all time riffs, and that is about as narrow as I will get.

I couldn't possibly answer that. At least half of all the Opeth songs I listen to have riffs that amaze me. Opeth are one of the greatest riff writers ever.

The distorted climax riff in To Bid You Farewell, the first few riffs in Nectar, the ending riff in The Night and the Silent Water, the Bleak riff, the Funeral Portrait riff, the catchy main riff in the first half of The Twilight Is My Robe, the intro to Forest Of October, the heavy riffs in Karma, the main riff in The Moor, the chorus riff/squeal in serenity Painted Death, and the intro to Moonlapse Vertigo.

Last april ethereal riff, ending section to karma, serenity painted death 2:17 and 2:12, the majority of the still life riffs actually, leper affinity at 1:53 and 2:53 ..actually all of that song, the evil 5/8 riff in the middle of drapery falls, all of the funeral portrait. none in deliverance... just too simple for me.

Serenity Painted Death 1:27!! Makes me feel like headbanging more than anything except 12:11 on Edge of Sanity's "Crimson", the best piece of guitar ever, regardless of whether it's complex or technical or what not. It's amazing. Then the drums come in underneath it and it's just godly. Sorry if I come off as a Crimson-whore, but it's 100% true.

Of course, honorable mention to the end of The Night and the Silent Water and of course a lot of riffs on every Opeth album, all of which have some particularly stellar and outstanding moments of awe.

The melodic riffs that open the first two minutes of "In Mist She was Standing", what a way to open a career of great albums ('Blackwater Park' excepted). Also, the melodies and riffs right after the bas "solo" in "The Twilight is My Robe" is beautiful. As for a full-on, straight heavy riff, I'd say perhaps the opening riff of "Wreath", it's damn cool, or perhaps the riff when Mikael growls The day wept on my shoulders!! FUCKING ACE HELL FUCK SHIT.