Best Opeth riff!?

Hey Tool, is your sig from Heirate Mich?

I'm not Tool, but it's from Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen?

Back to riffing... This is discluding all the solos.

Forest Of October - 1:00 (God, yes...), 3:25 :)rock:)

Requiem - 0:44 (Beautiful.)

Advent - 2:41 (Better at 2:59), 4:05 (The bass + acoustic and electric guitar), 4:22, 5:42 (One of their best.)

Nectar - 3:07 (Took me by surprise... A great emotional build-up.)

Black Rose Immortal - 13:38 (I cry to this one), 14:30 (Pretty much the same thing.)

To Bid You Farewell - This entire song, no understatement. There is no real solo, and each part is beautiful.

When - 8:10 (An awesome finisher.)

That's just from the first three albums. I'm too lazy to do the others.

The Apostle intro owns!

matt

baphomet said:
I ran though my cds real quick lol
1.In my time of need - the refrain first heard at 0:59
2.hope leaves - the intro
3.Deliverance - at : 9:56
4.Still beneath the sun the melody
5.Advent - 4:22
6.The night and the silent water - at 8:55
7.Demon of the fall - interlude - 2:15
8.The twilight is my robe - 3:36
9.the apostle in trumph - intro
10. drapery falls - first heard at 1:45
I dont know why but that riff sticks with me

One of my favorite's is from The Funeral Portrait around 1:10. That main riff is very catchy, especially when he says, "Ruby eyes in the fog" and then it goes into a solo rythym section. Smokin.

Matt

Black Rose Immortal - 3:47, 5:09, 12:21

In Mist She was Standing - 2:10.. when those vocals kick in I can't contain myself, amazing, 11:40 and on...such an amazing ending.. wow im listening to it right now, goosebumps

Face of Melinda - 4:38.. who doesnt love that part?

Blackwater Park - around 2:47 when that clean part comes in.. i love that riff, creates such a great atmosphere

April Ethereal - 5:59.. those drums hit and I can't help but headbang to this part

Advent - 4:21.. that little delayed riff comes in and then the distorted guitar.. that part gets me so pumped

The Leper Affinity - The first riff.. I just remember them playing live and opening that and god i couldnt stop smiling and rocking out.. so amazing

Dirge for November - 1:43, and the leads that come in are so great.. and when the vocals kick in with the next riff i just go crazy.. so much emotion

To Rid the Disease: 4:39.. almost brings me to tears every time, amazing!

The Twlight is my Robe - 0:45

To Bid you Farewell - 7:09.. goosebumps every time i hear it.. so powerful

Moonlapse Vertigo - 0:47... so beautiful.. tears ;(

That riff from Twilight just fucking owns so hard thats why you like it! Duh, and at 2:11 and at 8:00! 1:58 4:38 5:04 *5:40* 6:34 *8:29* of Apostle. God damn those solos are so fuckin awesome at the end of both songs. For me they created the greatest atmosphere of any Opeth album. Like the fuckin blues the way it just repeats over and over until you break down in tears. Someone should create a favorite riffs per album. Because picking one and over them all is just an exercise in futility. Make it so riff listing can be more controlled instead having to cut it short in fear of looking like a fanboy, if thats still possible.

I remember the first time I heard that 7:09 of TBYF I damn near fell out of my chair. Then I heard the one at 8:01 and almost squeezed my hamsters head off! Damn they have to be my all-time favorite two consecutive riffs. Just oozes emotion out of a cracked skull.

One of my fav's has to do with the outro of Moonlapse Vertigo.. A perfect vocal line with such an awe inpiring riff, cant get much better than that, atleast for me, fun to play too...

Blackwater Park
Riff @ 6:30
Riff and Solo @ 6:55
The solo simply slays.. very similar to some death metal solo's ala morbid angel and vader

Beyond Christ´s Embrace said:
What is in your opinion the best ever riff by Opeth?
Mine would have to be, if only mentioned one, the outro on April Ethereal!!
It just kicks ass, and is such an incredible ending to an incredible song!
Oh,by the way, I´m new here, so hello everyone!(I´ve been an Opeth fan for about 6 months!Have all their albums except for Orchid (should get it any day now) and Damnation)!
Good choice... that was the first song I learned to play by Opeth but I usually just played the ending of the song to play that riff ... definately my favorite. I also love the clean riff at the ending of Demon of the Fall, Mikael always knew how to end a fucking song.

B Crouch said:
Greatest riff? Shit thats a tough one, beginning of April Ethereal.
Great tune, and I was thinking the same song to have the greatest Opeth riff, but I would have to say that it is the heavy riff that closes the song. That little riff gives me gooseflesh every time I hear it.