Hex Omega appreciation thread

Jester-Race

Nov 8, 2006
Kansas.
Why is this song so fucking phenomenal? It reminds me of true Opeth, ridiculous opening riff that destroys everything, goes soft into crazy riffing after a few minutes, and ends with a totally destructive riff that obliterates existence itself.

I don't care what anyone says, this song is what makes Watershed, brilliant.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG.

Reminds me a lot of A Fair Judgement, and it's a good thing. Thanks Opeth for being so amazing.

EDIT: this is by far the best song on Watershed. True story.

I dont agree that its the best song on Watershed

But +1 for making this thread, I was thinking about doing that myself :p

By far the best closer since Blackwater Park

Ohh why not the best song? Come on, everyone that I know that loves Opeth thing this is the best off of watershed. Other contenders are obviously Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater, but still this song is out of this world.

Nice thread; it's my personal favourite on the album. It has everything; great light and shade. The mellotron parts are superb; they remind me of watching an old Nosferatu movie or something. Great drum fills towards the end.

The lyrics are interesting too; a crime of passion perhaps?

Keith.

It almost reminds me of Dark Matter by Porcupine Tree.

Actually, I was going to say the same thing. Has a kind of 'Dark Matter' or 'A Smart Kid' vibe to it in parts. Also love the vintage mellotron sound.

Speaking of which, do any of you guys know if Per uses an actual mellotron, or a VST or something? I'm assuming it's the latter, but I wasn't sure if he maybe had access to (or owned) an old M400 or something...
Doesn't quite sound like an actual mellotron, but still sounds fantastic!

It almost reminds me of Dark Matter by Porcupine Tree. I really enjoy this track though, especially the outro.

Wow, I'd have never made that connection myself. But, I do see it. Dark Matter is definitely one of PTs best closers. Although, I don't feel Hex Omega is one of Opeth's best closing songs; I do see the resemblance when the bass kicks in at the line, "two lives torn apart." Hex is definitely not as spacy as Dark Matter; and Dark Matter never gets as heavy as Hex, but I do see a bit of similarities. However, not as much similarities as Porcupine Trees - Baby Dreams in Cellophane and Megadeth's Wanderlust (and to think those two albums released within four months of each other).

Anyways, I love Hex Omega. I really think its a great song. It's way down the list of my favorites on Watershed. But, I still think it is a very, very, very solid song and a great closer for the album. Although, I do think Derelict Herds is a very solid closer too.

I've listened to Watershed so much, and I really love this record. It's the first album in a while that Opeth has released that I wouldn't change much with it. The main thing I'd do is change is track listing. But, even that, I can't figure out what I'd want to do. I understand the reasoning for Coil as the opener and Hex Omega as the closer.

This album confuses me, so I'm still trying to process it (even though I've probably spun it about 45-50 times through). In some weird way, this album is not complex, but at the same time it's the most complex album I've heard in years (if that makes any sense).

Regardless, Hex and Dark Matter do have their similiarites. I wonder how long it'd have taken me to catch that. I haven't listened to much Porcupine Tree since Watershed released. Actually, I listened to Deadwing today, and I think it's the first time I've even heard PT since I got Watershed. ...and Dark Matter gets played quite frequently when I'm in the PT mood. DM is my favorite song pre Stupid Dream. Thanks for pointing it out!

It's incredible, and I've listened to it the most times out of all the songs. I don't think it's the best song, but it's probably my favorite, if that makes any sense.

My favourite Watershed song and such a perfect closing track... that ending riff is incredible! It leaves a huge sense of desolation.

Other "contenders" for best Watershed song are: Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, Hessian Peel and Burden.

So yeah, I love Watershed.

And I absolutely love Hex Omega. What a perfect closing riff.

I really feel the odd one out on the new album. I only like Heir Apparent and Burden (minus the ending) off the new album. And Hessian Peel has some moments, but other than that, it fell flat I think. And I've tried listening to it thousands of times. I especially don't like Hex Omega and The Lotus Eater...

I really feel the odd one out on the new album. I only like Heir Apparent and Burden (minus the ending) off the new album. And Hessian Peel has some moments, but other than that, it fell flat I think. And I've tried listening to it thousands of times. I especially don't like Hex Omega and The Lotus Eater...

Weird lol, I thought the lotus eater would be favorized and I guess it is, its a really catchy song (not catchy as in "clap your hand" style but catchy in an opethish sort of way)

and honestly I thought noone could actually dislike hex omega, generally because its so easy to listen to I think.

By the way, Hex omega is also my favorite of the album I think, although these decisions are hard when it comes to opeth obviously :loco:

Interesting. Hex Omega is actually my least favorite song on the album, but I still think it's awesome. There isn't one song on this album that I think is "so so" or doesn't belong, and I tend to think of it as a whole.

When I first heard this song, it reminded me of a metalled up Tea Party (i.e the band).