Hex Omega... an Anti-climax to Watershed?

I disagree, Hex omega is a great closer and the outro reminds me a lot about deliverance/face of melinda. It's long and very epic in my opinion but I've said this many times on this forum, heh. Perhaps people had high expectations when they heard about the usage of a "church organ" in the song and then ultimately dissapointed when it was just one note played through the outro. Personally I think its brilliant, it's very simple but subtle and it fits perfectly in the ending.

Also something I've noticed is that I tend to forget the middle part of the song. What I mean is, the intro is brilliant as well as the ending. But the middle part of the song is just eerie regardless it being the only part where mikael sings. When I listen to it, it sometimes feels that it lasts for an eternity and sometimes just for a few seconds. It's really weird but I like it, perfect closer to a perfect album

It's one of the more simple songs in WS maybe, but I think it's a brilliant song and the closing riff closes the album awesomely.

Be aware everyone I dont dislike this song I'm just pointing out that for me it's the song I like least because the other songs on the record are so damn good...I mean the ultra cool rythmical double bass pedal driven drum beat in the intro riff very good along with the climactic riffage at the end.. but when compare to the outro track on Blackwater Park... it's CERTAINLY not as good.. can any of you say this is as good a track and an album closer as BWP?

My favorite so far is Hessian Peel. It is the one that resembles the old classics the most, like Drapery Falls and The Moor. I also like Burden, Hex Omega and Lotus Eater. Porcelain Heart is ok, while I don't really enjoy Heir Apparent that much, it's too dark.

Just shut the fuck up, there is no universal consensus or some scientific proof on that Still Life (or any Opeth album for that matter) is one of Opeth's greatest albums.

I personally wouldn't place SL in my top 3 Opeth albums list. Opeth albums are diverse and people could like whatever they want.

I assume you haven't heard Still Life?

I 100% agree with Annihilat0r about ranking Opeth albums.... but I know my opinion on Still Life will cause anger :p ... I guess thats what the forums are about:

Still life is hugely overated... the record is home to 3 amazing songs..among Opeths best: The Moor, Face Of Melinda and Serenity Painted... overall as a record the songs are very similar sounding as opposed to any other Opeth record.. there is alot of brilliance in each song.. so you listen to the record and go "wow that bits amazing" but as complete songs, other than the 3 I mentioned the album does'nt strike me as a favourite.

btw Godheads Lament is pretty tasty.

I dont know, I didn't like still life that much at first and I was inclined to agree with witcher I guess.

But then I bought the record myself, the new re-mastered edition and serioously, I can see why people love this album. I would dare to say that it might perhaps be opeth's best.

I mean really, if you try to break down the album there isn't a single bad song on it and it being a concept album also adds more to its greatness. Still life isnt my personal favorite, Deliverance or MAYH is, but if I would recommend an album to a new listener that is familiar with metal I would recommend still life.

I'm glad to see Hex Omega getting some love around here. Personally, it's one of my favorite tracks off the album and I just don't understand why some people don't like it (Then again, taste is subjective). In some ways, Hex Omega ends with a feel that's kind of similar to Coil. I like how it makes the entire album seem like it's come full circle.

You are definitely not alone, I agree.

In reguards to Hex Omega, it is as fragmented and incoherent as Mikael has ever written. Don't get me wrong, it does quite follow the "intro-verse 1-chorus-verse 2-chorus-interlude-outro" structure, but there are few transitions (and even fewer that work). It seems like a conglomerate of riffs put together. In addition, I don't feel it really GOES anywhere. What emotion am I supposed to feel? Anger? Sadness? Rage? Desolation? Not really feeling anything...

Oh, and the outro riff, IMO, is horrible--probably the worst way (IMO) that any Opeth album has ever closed. First of all, there is scarsely a transition into it...it just happens. Second, it's ugly, slow-moving, and quite frankly anti-climatic. Really doesn't fit the song at all. Not a fan.

Isolation Years...now THAT was a closer. Not that all Opeth albums have to end on a soft note, but something that really leaves you with a feeling of conclusion or sadness or loss. Hex Omega really doesn't do that for me. Oh, and the organ use was soooooooooooooooooooooooo overhyped! Wow, one-long, drawn-out chord...good job. I wanted to hear a super evil riff that was truly capable of destroying a church organ.

Meh.