Best since Blackwater Park?

I really don't know how people could come up with this kind of questions, about best works, specially when it comes to Opeth... for me what makes really unique to Opeth it's that they can create a different atmosphere in every album, you can feel, smell, see, a special imagery... they're always doing distinctive/different music, that's what i like about them... from Orchid to Watershed... and i don't think that Watershed is the best "effort", because i really don't know how i can measure the effort that they put in every album... and i feel that Watershed is so different from their previous observations, yet so Opeth, that it is really difficult/and i don't want to "rate" ws, just enjoy it...

Thats exactly my problem with GR.

Baying is one of my favorite Opeth songs. The rest of the album just isnt as consistent.

My thoughts exactly. Watershed kicks my ass for it's entire running time. It has such an atmosphere too, it's my favorite Opeth album.

I think the better question is: Why was Blackwater Park so great?

I can't put my finger on it but there's something about the song structure, the tone(both atmospheric tone and instrument tone), the solos, everything flowed together so perfectly...Sure, they've released great songs/albums before and after, but BWP was a climax of perfection.

Watershed is amazing..love it. A breath of fresh air for me with the female vocals in coil. And as mellow as burden is god damn its EVIL :kickass:

The whole point of this thread is kind of lost to me as Blackwater Park is by far their least interesting album.

I'd say Watershed is a great album for its time in the Opeth chronology - I mean, nothing can touch the first four albums, that's the fucking magic period.

Then we get Blackwater Park, for many a peak, for me the bottom, a dividing line between the classic era and the new era which begins with Deliverance and is followed by Damnation, Ghost Reveries, and now Watershed.

It is certainly a strong album in the second era, technically it may be better than Ghost Reveries, but then again Watershed has no song that can touch 'Ghost of Perdition'. Still I love Watershed for what it is.

Except the lack of brutal...

Watershed is a much more interesting record than Ghost Reveries.
That being said, for fans of Opeth's heavier, more accessible material
(GoP, TGC), Ghost Reveries is the wiser choice.

My ass it can't.

It's not half as good as Damnation, about the same as GR, and better than that piece of shit Deliverance.

There look, I compared them.

I disagree with that entirely. iIn my opinion, Deliverance is the best release since BWP and GR is the worst. WS is definately up there just behind deliverance for me at the moment but its really too early to call. My top 3 albums of all time includes Deliverance. (the other two are BWP and SL with SL just edging in front to take the number 1 spot.)

I think it's awesome that everyone has a different opinion about this and thats exactly the point, these are opinions, so noone's right or wrong. But its good to have this sort of discussion because, after all, surely the Opeth Forum is for talking about Opeth and their music.

This is also the first thread i've come across in a long time that doesn't have people posting meaningless shit left, right and centre.

I'd say it's probably best since BWP. With an exception of damnation, which is a completely different business that can't be compared.

I know there is like a billion threads about Watershed but I have not seen the conclusion yet that Watershed is infact Opeth's best record since blackwater park.
I'm not dismissing Ghost Reveries as being a great album (as every Opeth record is consistantly bloody brilliant) and of course Deliverance and Damnation are amazing, but as a whole I think Watershed is the best record since Blackwater Park.

Anyway according to the other thread about ranking watershed... the evidence is there :p

I saw a guy on another forum say it was the best since BWP.

I'd say it's probably best since BWP. With an exception of damnation, which is a completely different business that can't be compared.

I always think of Damnation as separate to the rest of their discography so I leave it out of things like this. I like it, but it's obviously something of an anomaly and I rarely listen to it.

I love every album, but IMO Watershed is their best work since Blackwater Park (but not as good as that one).

I agree it's very different from what they've done before, but that new 70's style fits me, since I also love that. So the combination of old Opeth and mellower prog is great for me.

I would agree that Watershed is their best Work since Blackwater Park, to me its better than GR and D&D, but just a very slight bit. I listen to a lot of 70s stuff, so maybe I feel more familiar with the "new" sound that the fans who listen mainly to metal...

I really hope that this is all just launch furore. Cause I can't imagine why anyone would even consider this album among the top half of the releases, let alone the best one.

I really hope that this is all just launch furore. Cause I can't imagine why anyone would even consider this album among the top half of the releases, let alone the best one.

do u ever get sick of cutting down watershed? curious...