Watershed in perspective of other Opeth albums

I failed to mention that In Absentia is one of my favorite albums too.

I checked out Lightbulb sun and I really like it. I just need to let it sink.

Thanks BlueSky

In Absentia is probably my all time favourite album. So unbelievably good. And while we're talking Porcupine Tree, make bloody sure you don't miss out on the live version of Voyage 34 (you'll find it on the Warszawa live album).

I've known about PT for several years now, but it just really clicked. I never was that into them.

I have Voyage 34.. not the live version though. Its phenomenal

Blackwater Park
Watershed
Ghost Reveries
My Arms Your Hearse
Damnation
Deliverance

I would name more, but I would have to own them. :lol:

1. My Arms, Your Hearse
Morningrise
Deliverance

Those 3 are my joint no.1 favourites.

2. Orchid
3. Still Life
4. Watershed <--
5. Damnation
6. Blackwater Park/Ghost Reveries

Thats probably it.

1. Still Life
2. Watershed - Heir Apparent currently on infinite repeat
3. Deliverance
4. Blackwater Park
5. Ghost Reveries
6. MAYH
7. Orchid
8. Morningrise
9. Damnation

1. Morningrise
2. Deliverance
3. My Arms Your Hearse
4. Ghost Reveries
5. Still Life
6. Blackwater Park
7. Orchid
8. Damnation
9. Watershed

Note: Ghost Reveries and Still Life are very, very close for me. I love Still Life but as of late have been realizing the brilliance and beauty of GR even more than previously. Watershed, unfortunately, is just a weak album. I'd probably give it a 7/10 or so at best.

Watershed was okay...but it was far worse than their past material in my mind.

My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Ghost Reveries
Deliverance
Orchid
Watershed
Morningrise
Damnation

So difficult, its almost impossible to rate any of them, because every album haves a special atmosphere and besides its depend on my mood... but i try to "rate" them atm:

Orchid/ Morningrise/ My Arms Your Hearse/ Still Life/ Damnation/ Ghost Reveries/ Watershed

Blackwater Park ==> This is really great, but i've always feel something weird when i see it as a whole, don´t even know...

Deliverance

Nice to see more people that enjoy Orchid and Morningrise so much, fucking incredible albums. I find Blackwater Park is their most overrated release though...I mean it's an amazing album, don't get me wrong, but I think Still Life is way better.

For now, I'll go with:

Blackwater Park
Ghost Reveries
My Arms, Your Hearse
Watershed
Still Life
Morningrise
Deliverance
Damnation
Orchid

For me, Watershed can't touch BWP or GR, which I truly found to be their atmospherically richest and darkest albums to date. the former being utterly flawless. Ghost Reveries is not without its flaws but I find it very aesthetically appealing. Still Life follows next as far as atmosphere is concerned, though I find MAYH to be much more listenable, so it rates higher. I've found Still Life to be quite difficult to get into, so I'm not sure whether I prefer Watershed to it or not, but I'm enjoying that more at the moment, so it currently rates higher.

I have a feeling I'm in somewhat of a minority!

For me it goes:

1) Still Life
2) Morningrise
3) My Arms, Your Hearse
4) Blackwater Park
5) Damnation
6) Orchid
7) Deliverance
8) Watershed <-----
9) Ghost Reveries

Watershed has really grown on me, but all Opeth albums eventually do. I think it's just too pussy in terms of overall feel. It's darker, which I like. The clean passages are well executed and very emotional too. I think it's Akerfeldt's new clean vocal style (with all the wails and waaa waaas found in pussy prog rock) that gets me. Heir Apparant, The Lotus Eater, and Burden alone puts this above Ghost Reveries though, even though GR had a few fantastic tunes. I'd like to see this thread over again in like 6 months though, I'm sure Watershed might climb a few ranks.

imo, Opeth have pretty much improved from one album to the next. Deliverance is one exception. It is definitely a great album, but not better than BWP. Watershed is the other exception, so GR stays my favourite atm. Damnation can't be ranked with the others for being too different.

1) GR
2) BWP, Deliverance, Watershed
3) Still Life
4) MAYH
5) Morningrise
6) Orchid

Striking how this reflects my personal Opeth biography: Started with BWP, then lost interest for a while. Fully delved into Opeth with GR.

After having Watershed for only a brief time...

Still Life (NOTHING will ever beat Still Life :kickass:)
Blackwater Park
MAYH
Deliverance
Ghost Reveries
Watershed
Damnation
Orchid
Morningrise

I doubt Watershed could ever make the top 3, but it could jump above GR and possibly Deliverance in time.

1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
4. Morningrise
5. Ghost Reveries
6. Deliverance
7. Damnation
8. Orchid
9. Watershed

I think Watershed's a great album, but I just don't find it consistent enough, also it's a tad too pretentious

Three groups in terms of how great I think the discs are. the top 3 i can listen to in any mood and be entranced and bewitched by them. the next three i think are wonderful, but I have to be in the right mood. The last 3, well I haven't listened to Orchid that much (only opeth i don't have) and I don't listen to GR anymore.

My Arms, Your Hearse
Blackwater Park
Still Life

After the first listen, I think watershed has some cheesy vocals, some terrible lyrics (my girlfriend was picking the clean rhymes out without ever having heard the tracks before) and not enough in terms of intricate heaviness. i think the keys sound cheesy and people are mistaking interesting orchestration for musical ingenuity.

I hope that, Oscar Pistorius-like, it is a slow starter that will come bounding through towards first place at the end, despite the handicaps placed on it by the synths and the cheese.