Watershed in perspective of other Opeth albums

My list ...

1. Still Life
1. Blackwater Park
1. Deliverance

(Impossible to choose between those three)

2. Ghost Reveries
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
4. Damnation
5. Orchid
6. Watershed
7. Morningrise

Steak Sauce.

I wasn't going to post but MR and O don't get enough love these days.

1. Still Life
2. Morningrise
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
4. Watershed, Blackwater Park, Orchid
7. Ghost Reveries
8. Damnation
9. Deliverance

I must state though that Blackwater Park was once my favourite, then 3rd favourite, now equal fourth.
Orchid is moving up the ladder and is often popping its head above the surface of Morningrise.
And Watershed is hovering quite loosely and could go either way.

Still Life
Ghost Reveries
My Arms Your Hearse
Morningrise
Blackwater Park
Watershed
Orchid
Deliverance
Damnation

At the moment:

Deliverance(it just really works for me)
Watershed
Ghost Reveries
Still Life
BWP
Damnation
MAYH

I'll make sure to do that. I really love to understand albums.

My question to you is, how do you interpret its meaning? You always sense a connection between the songs, at least I have, almost as if they are all connected with one meaning....

Yeah, most of the time, especially on Watershed

In terms of a connection between the songs, there is a theme of mothers and children that runs throughout the album.

This is what calls for a possible concept, even more so with the pictures in the art booklet.

Definitely their best yet, by far. Yeah, it could be the so-called "new album syndrome" but I'm pretty sure it isn't. While almost all previous Opeth albums could be described as fantastic releases within one specific musical genre (progressive death metal, I guess), I see Watershed as a true masterpiece of progressive music, period.

Watershed might not necessarily include better songs than other Opeth releases, but it transcends the boundaries of a certain genre and that makes it a better album in an historical context to me.

Watershed
Ghost Reveries
Damnation
Blackwater Park
Still Life
Deliverance
My Arms, Your Hearse
Morningrise
Orchid

My two cents, of course.

bwp has so many amazing songs its ridiculous so i think its my favorite but other than that i cant rate them at all. all i can say is that imo watershed is probably their best album to listen to as a whole, while not having songs that totally destroy on their own (such as when/moor/bleak/perdition etc)

1. My Arms, Your Hearse
1. Still Life
3. Morningrise
3. Orchid
5. Ghost Reveries
6. Watershed
7. Deliverance
8. Damnation
9. Blackwater Park

I've had the album in my hands for a week and have listened to nothing else in that time. I've given it at least 15 listens all the way through so I feel I can make a judgment on its ranking in the Opeth catalog. It has it's moments but I am a bit disappointed in Watershed. I've never felt the need to skip tracks on an Opeth album until now. Coil, Heir Apparent, Hex Omega, and the bonus track Derelict Herds all do very little for me. The growls at 5:44 in Heir Apparent is one of the best moments on the album but the entire song bores me.

1. Damnation
2. Blackwater Park
3. Ghost Reveries
4. Still Life
5. Deliverance
6. Watershed
7. My Arms Your Hearse
8. Orchid
9. Morningrise

1. Still Life
2. MAYH

Those two eclipse everything, Still Life in particular. After that, whenever I'm listening to an Opeth cd I find myself thinking 'Hot diggity, this has got to be their best.' Then I switch cd's, and my favorite changes again.

- Bosom 'Wishy Washy' Blob

^^That's what they used to call me on the ole gridiron

Definitely, this album was even more than I expected. I mean, I expected to be awesome just like everything Opeth has done to the date, but Watershed turned out to be both amazing and different! So I'd say for the moment it'd go this way (I have to listen to it more times to be completely sure, though):

1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. Watershed
4. My Arms, Your Hearse
5. Damnation
6. Deliverance
7. Ghost Reveries
8. Morningrise
9. Orchid

1. Still Life
2. Ghost Reveries/Blackwater Park
3. Watershed
4. My Arms Your Hearse
5. Damnation
6. Deliverance
7. Morningrise
8. Orchid

I need to put aside some time to really LISTEN to the 1st two albums..they're the ones I listen to least.