Watershed in perspective of other Opeth albums

^ fps I agree with everything you said except I'd put GR in the second group, I still think it's a good album.

^ fps I agree with everything you said except I'd put GR in the second group, I still think it's a good album.

you know, i think part of the reason i don't like GR is when it came out. seriously! it came out in the summer, and opeth albums have always for me been a whisky and winter affair, best enjoyed in late october with the nights drawing in. i can't be thinking about ghosts and summonings when it's 28 degrees C out! but i will be giving it a thorough listen this winter with an open mind. Oh, and Baying Of The Hounds is one of my favourite Opeth tracks, that is a helluva death-rock intro! and the whole soft "drown in the deep mire" section is magical.

Haha fps I guess I never really associated Opeth with the current season outside, probably cause I'm usually stuffed up in my room with the windows shut. But yeah, Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds completely kick my ass to open up the album, I got to see both of those songs live and it was awesome.

Haha fps I guess I never really associated Opeth with the current season outside, probably cause I'm usually stuffed up in my room with the windows shut. But yeah, Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds completely kick my ass to open up the album, I got to see both of those songs live and it was awesome.

that is very cool, i missed them last time round but have been lucky enough to see them on 3 occasions, including when they were supported by decapitated (sick gig) and the Shepherd's Bush Lamentations DVD filmed show, which was very special as I'm sure you know!

Hahah I never thought about the seasonal release thing either! It's true though! I don't think Opeth and summer mix well, especially when you have way too much melted cheesy synth action going on.

right i'm 5-30 into my second listening of heir apparent, and it fucking rules.

I bought it today and, as always, first listening is estranging. Burden verses' vocals have a Coverdale like way of being sung (or maybe it's me completely losing sanity)..moreover they've got great interpretation and once again they surprise me with dynamics more than last time (notice the modulation at the end of the first verse). Mr. Akerfeldt is coming to master the same way (thus becoming twice expressive) both notes and growl (formally it's only muted notes). I am glad of this..

1.My Arms Your Hearse
2.Still Life
3.Watershed
4.Ghost Reveries
5.Blackwater Park
6.Orchid
7.Morningrise
8.Deliverance
9.Damnation

1. Still Life, Watershed, Blackwater Park

2. Deliverance, My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise

3. Orchid, Ghost Reveries, Damnation

Personally, I'm loving the new album. It sounds so atmospheric and fresh. A big improvement on GR, which I found to be a bit too fragmented and formulaic. Good to see them powering along so strongly with their ninth album.

watershed is the first album to nearly pip MYAH on my list, blackwater park a close third...

1. Still Life
2. Watershed
3. My Arms, You're Hearse
4.Blackwater Park
5.Ghost Reveries
6. Morningrise
7. Damnation
8. Deliverance
9. Orchid

1) BWP
2) Still Life
3) Deliverance
4) Ghost Reveries
5) Damnation
6) Morningrise
7) MAYH
8) Watershed
9) Orchid

Why did I rank it so low? I only really like Lotus Eaters and Heir Apparant. Not a big fan of any of the others, really.

Orchid and morningrise here is so underated o_O

For me their are one of the best Opeth albums ever, and Still Life its just so... boring. :erk:

Blackwater park is cool, but not the finest :)

Orchid and morningrise here is so underated o_O

For me their are one of the best Opeth albums ever, and Still Life its just so... boring. :erk:

Blackwater park is cool, but not the finest :)

the reason i usually pick blackwater park or my arms your hearse as my fave opeth is that by the time moonlapse vertigo comes in, for some reason the album feels a little one-paced. i don't really listen to moonlapse.

1. Ghost Reveries
If a ghost does daydream, it would be about this album.

2. Watershed
Emotion, despair, anger...Most versatile offering

3. Morningrise
A common thread of spontaneous thought.

4. Blackwater Park
Sentimental, moody, and hint of vintage

5. StillLife
The most conceptual album, with music written in pictures.

6. My Arms, Your Hearse
Great fucking title!! Rythmically superior!!

7. Damnation/Deliverance
Damnation= First Opeth album that actually got me laid.
Deliverance= Black and White spectrum of impulse and the consequences of