Best since Blackwater Park?

Witcher

Into the trees...
Mar 14, 2008
www.myspace.com
I know there is like a billion threads about Watershed but I have not seen the conclusion yet that Watershed is infact Opeth's best record since blackwater park.
I'm not dismissing Ghost Reveries as being a great album (as every Opeth record is consistantly bloody brilliant) and of course Deliverance and Damnation are amazing, but as a whole I think Watershed is the best record since Blackwater Park.

Anyway according to the other thread about ranking watershed... the evidence is there :p

No. No it isn't. It's good but I just don't find it to be better than Ghost Reveries, Damnation and Deliverance.

I consider Watershed to be one of the worst, if not THE worst Opeth album.
Still a nice record though.

the more gr1m and kv1t you are the more likely you would not like ws coz its not really metal :\

It's not the best since Blackwater Park. That would be Ghost Reveries, and then Damnation for me. I still need time with it though, and I think this record is a grower, so who knows? Maybe a few here will change their minds, includiong myself.

the more gr1m and kv1t you are the more likely you would not like ws coz its not really metal :

And the more you like cheesy power ballads...
Well I could state the same moronism about your opinion, Hedon.

I just think that Opeth lost too much of their sound with the new one. Looking forward to the next effort.

i think you got me wrong. i think ws is among their top 3 worst albums
to be exact, what im saying is that im 9r!m and trew

I just think that Opeth lost too much of their sound with the new one. Looking forward to the next effort.

Pretty much agree with what you say here. I find Watershed to be a step in a direction where I can't really follow Opeth. The album is still good, but miles and miles from the quality of their back catalogue. Thus, Watershed is a huge disappointment for me.

It's better than GR but not better than BWP. It's an OK album, I do enjoy it quiet a lot but find myself lost in my mind when listening to it... doesn't grab me as much!

And all these 'new' Opeth fans are shit.

haha, what an amusing mishmash of opinions.

I state this as absolute fact, backed up by a combination of statistics, logic and an abacus. Watershed IS the best since Blackwater Park. Deliverence and Damnation were a bit meh. Ghost Reveries was mostly meh. But this is the best*.

*For further proof, refer to Euler's "Tentamen novae theoriae musicae".

^ How the hell can you use fact to 'prove' whether one piece of art is better than another? I don't think Ghost Reveries was mostly 'meh', as you put it - sure, it had its flaws, but so does Watershed, which you cannot deny. The song structures in Ghost Reveries seem much more thought out to my ears, and the songs as a whole seem like less of a mish-mash of ideas (which is ironic considering isolation years, which has no relevance to the concept). The song-writing is more focused on Ghost Reveries, and I feel like the album has more staying power than Watershed. However, having said that, Watershed is a fantastic record, but just not up to the standard of Ghost Reveries imo.

Eh, i wouldnt call it the best since blackwater park, its certainly the most unique since BP. I like both albums equally, but I just think they can't be compared as easily as the previous records. watershed represents a new direction for opeth and for that reason can't be compared as well to older albums.

haha, what an amusing mishmash of opinions.

I state this as absolute fact, backed up by a combination of statistics, logic and an abacus. Watershed IS the best since Blackwater Park. Deliverence and Damnation were a bit meh. Ghost Reveries was mostly meh. But this is the best*.

*For further proof, refer to Euler's "Tentamen novae theoriae musicae".

Show me the statistics which say that WS is significantly better than the rest.