Best since Blackwater Park?

I really hope that this is all just launch furore. Cause I can't imagine why anyone would even consider this album among the top half of the releases, let alone the best one.
You don't understand how people can be different from you... what? Its actually definately the best one! MUAHAHAHAAA!!

For me, it's Deliverance.

Which is funny when you consider how Mike always considers that their weakest album, literally slapped together in a moment of sheer panic and exhaustion...
Maybe the spirit in which it was created was what made it so damn good...

Not really...:rolleyes:

But yes, I love Heir Apparent and Burden. Gotta give it that.

I'm with the Maltese Falcon here...

Watershed has a few brilliant moments, and it's worthy of the praise of fans out there... it may also bring some new listeners into the camp, which is never bad....

But this album is not rocking my world - not yet, anyway...

I know an opinion's an opinion and all that etc. etc. but I truly think a lot of you guys going "OMG WATERSHED IZ THE BEST OPETH EVERRRRZZ!!1" are simply so pumped that there actually is a new Opeth album that you immediately heap praise upon it before you've had the chance to listen to it a good amount of times and really let it sink in. I just don't believe there's any way somebody can put Watershed against all Opeth's other albums and say it is their absolute best. If you hold this to be true, then riddle me this: where exactly is the "Drapery Falls"? "Ghost of Perdition"? "Demon of the Fall"? "The Moor"? "Deliverance"? So on and so forth. There is just no classic, absolute smash song on Watershed, I just don't see it. The songs don't stand up to previous Opeth classics, even lesser Opeth songs in certain cases.
Oh and IMO Deliverance beats out Blackwater Park by a mile, such a tight, tight, kickass album. Takes a lot of listens to realize this, but once you do it's obvious.

I know an opinion's an opinion and all that etc. etc. but I truly think a lot of you guys going "OMG WATERSHED IZ THE BEST OPETH EVERRRRZZ!!1" are simply so pumped that there actually is a new Opeth album that you immediately heap praise upon it before you've had the chance to listen to it a good amount of times and really let it sink in. I just don't believe there's any way somebody can put Watershed against all Opeth's other albums and say it is their absolute best. If you hold this to be true, then riddle me this: where exactly is the "Drapery Falls"? "Ghost of Perdition"? "Demon of the Fall"? "The Moor"? "Deliverance"? So on and so forth. There is just no classic, absolute smash song on Watershed, I just don't see it. The songs don't stand up to previous Opeth classics, even lesser Opeth songs in certain cases.
Oh and IMO Deliverance beats out Blackwater Park by a mile, such a tight, tight, kickass album. Takes a lot of listens to realize this, but once you do it's obvious.

:lol: He's good

Watershed still has to grow on me. I like it a lot, though -- it's certainly more consistent than GR and Deliverance. But I find Blackwater Park to be slightly overrated, anyway. So I'd say Watershed is "the best since Damnation."

^Answer my question... really, which Wateshed song compares to the Opeth hall of classics? Heir Apparant? Burden? Lotus Eater??
Hex Omega??? :ill:

Haha, cmon man. We know you dont like the album but please don't keep putting it down, cause I've seen you do it numerous times.

But on the case of the "classic song" I dont really feel that there are any "classics"... there more of fan favorites, but there are no "classics" in my eyes.

MAYH is just like Watershed. There aren't any real standout tracks. Some people may say When or Demon of the Fall is but.. there all gems on that album.

I'll agree with you saying that Ghost of Perdition is the monster on GR. But The Moor and Drapery .. ehh.

If I had to pick a "classic" it would be simply To Bid You Farewell.

It's a bit pointless to compare subjective opinions of songs. Then again, it's also immature to say it's the best or worst release with an absolutely matter-of-fact face.

Haha, cmon man. We know you dont like the album but please don't keep putting it down, cause I've seen you do it numerous times.

But on the case of the "classic song" I dont really feel that there are any "classics"... there more of fan favorites, but there are no "classics" in my eyes.

MAYH is just like Watershed. There aren't any real standout tracks. Some people may say When or Demon of the Fall is but.. there all gems on that album.

I'll agree with you saying that Ghost of Perdition is the monster on GR. But The Moor and Drapery .. ehh.

If I had to pick a "classic" it would be simply To Bid You Farewell.

Yeah all I meant was can you honestly think of a Watershed song that easily ranks with the best of Opeth's previous output (whatever you deem those songs to be).

Well like I said before. Like MAYH there aren't any standout songs. So no there aren't any standout tracks on Watershed, but who needs them.

I honestly think that Hessian Peel stands up to the likes of Ghost of Perdition, The Moor, and Deliverance just fine. Watershed does really remind of me MAYH though, in that I prefer to listen to it as an album instead of individual tracks.

I think Watershed is in the top 5 Opeth album behind the obvious SL, MAYH and Blackwater Park. I would rank it on par with Deliverance and Damnation.