Hex Omega... an Anti-climax to Watershed?

Still life is hugely overated... the record is home to 3 amazing songs..among Opeths best: The Moor, Face Of Melinda and Serenity Painted... overall as a record the songs are very similar sounding as opposed to any other Opeth record.. there is alot of brilliance in each song.. so you listen to the record and go "wow that bits amazing" but as complete songs, other than the 3 I mentioned the album does'nt strike me as a favourite.

Meh, Godhead's Lament and White Cluster are better songs than the ones you mentioned. And Benighted is a better soft song than Face of Melinda.

Yes, I would agree Hex Omega is a bit of an anti-climax.

Not that it's a bad song, quite the contrary, I'd sooner blame it on the sequencing of the tracks. I feel the natural conclusion of the album, the climax if you will, is Hessian Peel. Perhaps Hex Omega would have been better suited before Hessian Peel, not after.

Imagine how Blackwater Park would feel if Patterns In The Ivy was after the title track. That's sort of how I feel about Hex Omega's position on Watershed.

Vivören;7487790 said:
Blackwater Park is a perfect closer. Isolation Years is a perfect closer. To Bid You Farewell is a perfect closer.

Hex Omega is a good song in the wrong place.

I dont agree. No other song could have been a better closer. Burden could do I guess, but Hex Omega is still the best.

The highlight of Hex Omega, and one of the highlights of Watershed, are the lines 'one second from now' and 'kept demons inside'. Whether it's studio magic or not, the way Mike's voice sustains over an entire acoustic lick and into the heavy part is amazing. Otherwise, it's a pretty blah song.

Isn't the TRUE outro on the additional tracks from the SE cut? anyone have an opinion on this?

Hell no... they are totally seperate, the record is made up of the tracks on the standard version of the record... If the SE tracks were the intended closers then that would mean people who buy the standard version of the record don't get the full album..lol just no.