Worst Opeth Song Moment

oh how triumphant it must have been when the band proved to themselves that they could make that kind of riff :rolleyes:

it's nothing special at all. it's a boring old palm muted open string riff and it has been done thousands of times since the dawn of thrash, and i agree that it doesn't really have a place in that otherwise awesome song.

Don't interprete my words in a douchebag way please. Never said they wanted to be innovative when doing this riff. It just goes there and it's still Opeth. Never said it wasn't a particular riff on the guitar or drum, because as mentionned, it is very basic. The whole thing sounds particularly great when you add the vocals, and it brings a lot of "movement" during a show. And I'm not saying Opeth should do that kind of riff all the time, just that in a brutal song like Heir Apparent, it doesn't really bother and totally fits in. Plus, we can't really complain because it is like the quarter of the song.

One of the best and most consistently good modern metal bands and still gets 10 pages full of harsh criticism.. that is just, demotivating. I wonder how Mike can cope with it given that he is a bit of a perfectionist himself.

Actually, only 1/4 of the thread is bullshitting about Opeth, the rest is just people that don't agree with them.

One of the best and most consistently good modern metal bands and still gets 10 pages full of harsh criticism.. that is just, demotivating. I wonder how Mike can cope with it given that he is a bit of a perfectionist himself.

well as it is the "worst of opeth", and not the "bad parts of opeth", which still could mean it's really good, but still their worst. like in my list for example. I don't really dislike anything done by Opeth, but if there's something that is their best, then something must be their worst too.

I can't really think of anything else but

Deliverance and exact part of 13.16 when I can hear a CLONK. Recording mistake. Hate it! Can you hear it?

very difficult question

i'd have to say the intro to godheads lament - I hate the intro with a passion. When I play it for friends and with friends I always change the intro.

Don't interprete my words in a douchebag way please. Never said they wanted to be innovative when doing this riff. It just goes there and it's still Opeth. Never said it wasn't a particular riff on the guitar or drum, because as mentionned, it is very basic. The whole thing sounds particularly great when you add the vocals, and it brings a lot of "movement" during a show. And I'm not saying Opeth should do that kind of riff all the time, just that in a brutal song like Heir Apparent, it doesn't really bother and totally fits in. Plus, we can't really complain because it is like the quarter of the song.

I seriously don't get the "boohoo muted E riff" hate brigade.

In order to make a kickass song, you don't need to display your chops or "creativity" at each second, you need to serve the song. That particular bit is nos just "particularly great", it's "fucking awesome". It's a very effective tension builder. The guitar and bass lock into the E pattern, drums also take on a simple yet relentless figure, keyboards shut up, the vocals take the same deliberate cadence, and then everything is released with the thunder of stampeding double bass, screeching keyboards and open chord guitars for contrast. The hate brigade just zooms on those few bars and don't see it's part of a whole.

(BTW, I was never too big on "keyboards + metal", but Per has made me a believer. His work on Watershed/Ghost Reveries, and his arrangements to the old material live are all kinds of awesome)

Go listen to DT if you need people who show off every measure of every song... ;)

I love all Opeth's songs so I would say that i'll never change a song that they made.

btw can someone give me black rose inmortal's tab i have two versions of tab and i don't like them, please suggest me one.

Well it's good to get the opportunity to re-visit this thread, 7 years later.

I don't really listen to enough Opeth anymore to be able to pick any off by heart, but the guys have generally been consistent and the amount of cringing has been quite minimal over the years, so props to them. It's hard to imagine that it's been 8 years since BWP was released.

If I were to listen back again I think I'd probably cringe most of the way through Orchid and Morningrise :lol:

I went to the start of this thread and started reading. I swear it seems like 75 per cent of posts are taking the piss. I reckon if you accumulate every opinion in this thread you'll have Opeth's discography.

will the children cry when their mother dies :erk:
weakness :erk:
bri being 5 songs pasted one after the other in one long track :erk:

funeralportrait91 said:
The Twilight is My Robe, that little bass part at 7:47. Seriously, what the shit?

not sure what's so bad about it, it makes perfect sense.

I didn't like the 'why did you leave me?' part in Hessian Peel (as much as I love the song), it just doesn't fit the contemplative style of Opeth.

The only part of Opeth's that I can honestly say is cringe-inducing is the part in Apostle in Triumph: "The only way to follow, ahhahhah..."