Worst Opeth Song Moment

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Ok, so we've been through what our favourite parts are... but what are the parts in any Opeth songs that make you cringe?

For myself.. I don't really dislike any part, but something that really detracts from an atmosphere of a song, I feel, is the first 5 or so minutes of Black Rose Immortal... it's such a bad introduction to what's a beautiful song and it kept me from fully realising how good the song was until I actually played it through.

Honestly I don't know, but it sounds like some strangely distorted guitar effect. I honestly think the start of BRI is more out of place... it just has basically no relevance to the rest of the song. It's like this harsh sounding harmony with Mikael growling... but then when it gets to 5 minutes, there's a really atmospheric acoustic section which basically leads you into the rest of the song... I don't mind the end of Bleak though coz it's on BWP and that album was very experimental.

That part in Bleak is just the last riff put through filtering or something. It struck me also, but I like it.

The beginning of BRI is my least favorite part of the song, probably. Actually, just that first riff. The rest of the song I love.

nahh man, the last 5 minutes are awesome... the last minute of BRI has to be my favourite... when it just comes out of the atmospheric part and Mikael just holds the growl for about 18 seconds and it goes it that hypnotic riff that fades out of the song.

Actually, BRI has one of my favorite Opeth riffs ever in it. The 5:09 one. And the one after that. And the 7:35 one.. and 12:22.. I'm just listing them all at this point and I should stop.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
That grainy sound, that flickers in and out? I think it's quite cool, I wish I could squeeze sounds like that outta my guitar :)

I think it's not guitar but Bass with distortion ....

that´s what Mikael said about this bleak thing in an interview...

How did you get that cool guitar sound at the end of “Bleak?”

I LOVE that. That’s Steven who came up with it. Basically I think we told him that we wanted the guitar to kind of fall to pieces. He just put that sound on it. We were laughing so hard because it’s so ugly. Then again it has a nice effect with the ugliest guitar sound on the album coming in contact with the next song “Harvest,” which opens up with a beautiful acoustic guitar.

I really dislike Twilight is my Robe 5:37 - 5:44. This short bridging from the acoustic part to the heavier doesn´t fit into the song in my opinion (but the rest of the song is great!).