Let's find ALL the reviews for Specs

Here is a review I found on the web. I still haven't listened to the new album yet as it still has not arrived; I now also ordered it from another source as I cannot stand the waiting any more!

What’s On Tap: A very impressive return-to-form for a very talented prog metal band.

Zero Hour’s 2001 sophomore effort, The Towers of Avarice, immediately vaulted the band into the spotlight of up-and-coming prog metal acts worth keeping an eye on. It’s really not surprising either, as the album's keen balance between odd prognitude and all-out ballsy riffing ended up appealing to metal fans across a pretty broad spectrum. Unfortunately, newfound fans were asked to wait nearly four years before hearing new material (obviously not counting the re-release of the band’s debut in 2003), and when the record finally did drop, 2005’s A Fragile Mind did so with decidedly less pomp and circumstance. This certainly isn’t to say the record was a poor prog endeavor, but the band’s sound had definitely taken a more structured path that featured lighter riffing and increased keyboard antics. Fast-forward 13-months later and we find the band undergoing yet another transformation with their 4th release, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond. Not only does this record showcase the band’s third vocalist in seven years, but it also represents a triumphant return to the heavier sound established on the band’s seminal sophomore release.

Let’s talk about the vocal shift first. Folks, the addition of one-time Power of Omens vocalist, Chris Salinas, to the ranks was definitely a wise choice for these guys. To be perfectly honest, I found the first two Zero Hour crooners’ delivery a little too close to Styx territory to remain in my comfort zone. Salinas, on the other hand, falls firmly into the Ray Alder/Geoff Tate school of delivery. So much so, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find Salinas’ dear Mum hashing it out with the two on a future “Who’s My Baby’s Daddy?” Maury Povich Show. He definitely manages to throw his own flair into the mix as well, but the kinship at times is truly uncanny, and let’s face it folks, it’s really not such a bad yoke to shoulder when it all boils down to it.

As far as the musical shift is concerned, this is easily the heaviest material the band has written to date. And not only has the band decided to tone down the keyboard influence, they’ve apparently decided to shit-can ‘em entirely, as Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond is completely devoid of any sort of casio noodling/atmospherics. That’s right folks, once again there’s nothing standing in the way of Zero Hour delivering exactly what they do best – heavy metal soaked to the gills with off kilter prog time-shifts, jazz-fingered, bubbling bass lines, rolling, multifarious drumming, and some surprisingly heavy riffage.

That being said, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond doesn’t really start cookin’ for me until the third track. Opening number, “Face the Fear”, is damned solid, and honestly sounds as if it could have been torn directly off The Towers of Avarice, but it’s immediately followed by what I found to be the most distracting cut of the record. “The Falcon’s Cry” is the first piece that really spotlights Salinas’ impressive range, but his continual screech of “something’s gonna die!!” comes across as more of an interruption to the song, instead of actually enhancing it. From that point on, however, the record is solid mother-fuckin’ gold. Immediately following the melodic, short instrumental 3rd cut, “Embrace”, the crushing title track hits with a massive riff that sounds almost as if the band chummed the waters with Entombed’s Clandestine. This song, and the epic closer, “Evidence of the Unseen”, both feature exactly the kind of vocal layering needed to make Salinas’ voice fit much more snuggly within the prodigious music, and further vault the band to the forefront of their peers as far as masterfully melding fine song crafting with stellar musicianship. Nestled lovingly between these two mastiffian tunes, is the quiet, vocally driven track, “I Am Here”, a ditty that’ll certainly have listeners double checking liner notes to make sure Mr. Tate hasn’t snuck in a surprise, guest appearance.

For fans of the band that felt A Fragile Mind was a bit of a stumbling block, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond is the type of release nearly worthy of soiling ones pants over. While not quite unblemished, it’s certainly the kind of return-to-form that paints an extremely promising picture for the future of this talented band. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this record hit a number of metalheads’ top ten list at year-end. Highly recommended for fans of heavy prog metal

From Transcending The Mundane:

http://basementbar.com/DefaultN1.asp?GoTo=CurrSelN1.asp?ID=3254&Page=Current

Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond

Genre: Progressive Metal, Technical Metal

For me, there has been a lot of anticipation and skepticism for Zero Hour's latest release Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond. Their self-titled album and Towers of Avarice were both monumental releases in the world of progressive metal. Four years after Towers, Zero Hour released A Fragile Mind. Even though A Fragile Mind wasn't a terrible album, I felt it was a bit stale and under par for Zero Hour. It lacked the creative spark that made their self-titled album and Towers the classics they are today. I am glad to say that with Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, the spark has been reignited and is as explosive as ever.

Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond is the first album featuring new vocalist Chris Salinas (Power of Omens). While there are some sections where he sounds great, there are other parts where I think his vocals are a little awkward. I am not too fond of his over dramatic high pitched screams, but other than that I think he does a very good job. He brings refreshing elements to Zero Hour's music that have not really been explored until now.

The album starts out with "Face the Fear". Right off the bat, you know that you are listening to Zero Hour. The listener is smacked in the face with chaotic riffing and dizzying time signature changes. Out of nowhere, the song takes an atmospheric turn. I really like what they did with this section. The vocals are real nice and the atmosphere is top notch. It reminds me of 1990's Fates Warning. The song then picks up pace with some awesome melodic and technical riffing. This is what Zero Hour should sound like.

"The Falcon's Cry" follows a similar pattern. It is heavy, dynamic, technical, melodic and very structured. Jasun and Troy really improved their songwriting skills. All of the songs have noticeable structures and patterns. This makes the album a little easier to digest.

"Embrace" serves as a short mellow instrumental interlude leading into the title track. "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond" could be Zero Hour's heaviest song to date. You can really hear Jasun and Troy's love for Meshuggah shine on this track. The song ends with a rather uncharacteristic solo section that will leave the listener scratching their heads until the spiraling riffing of “Zero Hour” kicks in.

"Zero Hour" is another instrumental interlude. Unlike "Embrace", this song is extremely heavy and technical. "Zero Hour" brings back themes and riffs that were introduced earlier in the album.

"I am Here" gives the listener a little time to breath. This song reminds me of "Reflections" from Towers.

"Evidence of the Unseen" closes the album with a bang. Pounding rhythms, hypnotic leads, dynamic breaks and an intense ending help to create one of Zero Hour's greatest songs to date.

While not perfect, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond could be Zero Hour's heaviest, dynamic, technical and focused album to date. If you want a progressive metal album with balls or a technical metal album with dynamics and structure, I would give this a listen.

FOR FANS OF:Fates Warning, Meshuggah, Cynic, Twisted into Form and Spiral Architect.

Reviewed by: Jake Rosenberg

Spatch my brutha....... I can't believe they've taken so long on getting you a disc bro. I hope they get it to you soon man and I'm going to finally hear and have a disc of my own when I get to TX next week.

It's awesome you guy's put together this thread because I would have probably never seen two of these reviews. YOU KATS RULES and thanks for sending the goods our way.

YOU ALL RULE!!

Jasun

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZERO HOUR: Tearing down the stereotypes of progressive metal

When the average metal listener discusses prog metal, instantly a massive pool of bands comes to mind, each sounding slightly different, but mostly the same. Not all that progressive, as the namesake proclaims. And then came ZERO HOUR, a band that through their breakthrough album "Towers of Avarice" redefined what it means to be progressive and set new bounds for the genre.

With the addition of new vocalist Chris Salinas (POWER OF OMENS), ZERO HOUR is once again poised to deliver genre-bending musical experiences via their 4th studio album: "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond." With Specs, ZH have again made use of their elaborate songwriting skills- yes, that's right! A progressive band that understands and utilizes amazing soundscapes as well as technical ability - to really show us pictures of what's beyond the horizon for the genre.

It begins with "Face the Fear", a bombing run opener that really showcases how the band has maintained their intensity through the lineup changes, and how they still have that powerful magic. Outside-the-box rhythmic arrangements and soaring melodies abound. Think you knew what place in the music guitars or drums go? Think again! ZH lets us know that any instrument can handle any role and they do it flawlessly.

Next up is "The Falcon's Cry". Strong contender for fan-favorite off this disc, the anthem song that really hits hard. Chris's screaming overalaid on Jasun, Troy, and Mikey's expert rhythms make this one a default headbanger. And when it settles in to the softer passages, the depth and range of expression in the lyrics and vocals really make the emotional power of this song stand out.

"Embrace", the shortest track on the album, keeping with ZH's traditional style of recording at least one instrumental acoustic track, this one is no meager addition to the arsenal. Acoustic guitar arpeggios and a smooth electric lead harmonize beautifully. This time they add Chris's voice as an instrument in a way that conjures images of primal human consciousness and expression.

Fourth up is "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond", the title track. Boom. This one reminisces of the rhythms and melodies of their earlier epics "Demise & Vestige" and "Metamorphosis" in a very extreme way. It lets everyone know that ZH is still capable of writing outside-the-box of what prog or metal bands are up to these days.

5th is "Zero Hour", an unexpected eponymous track. When a band names a song after themselves, it usually indicates that they feel it represents them in a single stroke. This short instrumental showcases ZH's technical ability and their smooth transitions from heavy to mellow and right back before you can blink. Troy's bass work is especially notable, and Jasun's guitar runs are fast as ever.

6th track: "I Am Here." Beautiful. Chris's self-harmony on this track really adds to the close, emotional nature of the lyrics. The gentle guitars help set the atmosphere. A shining moment for Chris Salinas.

7th track: "Evidence of the Unseen" Starts with didgeridoo. When that happens, something amazing is bound to follow. And it does. From start to finish, this track is heavy and complex and full of stylistic changes. It's saturated with polyrhythms and arpeggiated guitar solos. "Evidence" really shows how tight a band ZH truly is. On top of it all, Chris's enigmatic proclamation "You are...." recalls the poetic way that original vocalist Erik Rosvold delievered on the earlier ZH albums. At the end of this one, the final rhythm repeats ala OPETH's "Deliverance", until Chris quietly whispers "You are: the evidence, of the unseen..." closing the disc.

In summary, "Specs" is a powerful return to form for ZERO HOUR and an essential album for any progressive metal enthusiast. The production is top-notch, really punchy and clear. The songs are well-constructed and lyrically insightful, and the technical skill, as can be expected from ZH, is beyond words. One can only hope that their hard work and effort continues as this band is destined to make major waves. 5/5 - Kenneth Rieke

KENNETH that's an amazing review bro and Troy and I said in stereo he got the end of Evidence of the Unseen....NOW THAT'S METAL!!!

Man thank you for taking the time out to do this and it's another great review to explain what Zero Hour is all about.

SENDING THE METAL SIGN BRUTHA!

Jasun

Thank you so much for sending that news our way and that just AWESOME!!!

Thank you very MICHAEL WUENSCH and MetalReviews.com for help spreading the word about Zero Hour.

YOU KATS RULE!!!

Jasun/ZH

Finally got the CD; wow great job guys. Production is excellent and Mike playing is so solid. I post a review latter.
Kenneth R great review really captures the mood of the album

Great to hear they finally got you the disc SPATCH and you always support Zero Hour....THAT'S METAL!!

YOU RULE SPATCH and thanks for everything bro.

Jasun

Zero Hour - Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond-CD (Sensory Records)

I know this is very cut and dry and not the best explanation on what Zero hour sounds like but its what they sound like to me. Imagine if Geoff Tate (Rage of order period) sang for Fate Warning Parallel's Period this what Zero hour very is coming across to me as. There are some other interesting sounds coming here as they seem to want the metal guitar sound there to meld with the uber prog bass, synth and percussion. This is Prog Metal by every fiber of the word. I really miss stuff like this as at times the music sounds very opeth in design too but the vocalist is the reincarnation of Rage period Tate!!!. Zero Hour is really for fan of the very progressive of the progressive metal fans. If you don't like stuff like Dream theater, Opeth, Wastefall or Spiral Architects then don't even begin to try to understand or listen to this. Though if you like you music on the challenging and highly explosive prog side then this will be a journey you will soon not forget.

Found it here:

http://magazine.absolutezeromedia.us/10142006.htm

Still looking...