Let's find ALL the reviews for Specs

To whom? Why is it that people can't respect someone's feeling about something as subjective as music?

Plain and simple:

I'm a fan of Zero Hour. I love the music on this album. I like how certain stylines bring us back to the Erik days with the different singing styles. I just don't like the delivery of the vocals. The sound is annoying in parts, or too much like Geoff Tate without being like Geoff Tate. I liked Erik because he didn't emulate anyone I've heard. Now, Chris has some odd traits to his voice and sometimes it sounds ok, but sometimes it's kind of bad. 3/4 of my friends have the same feelings.

Ideally, someone will present a view that might not agree with the band or with the fellow fans. The fans are mature enough to say, "I can dig that, etc"...and perhaps start a constructive discussion when they recognize the person not agreeing is not looking to troll, but to discuss.

Ideally, someone will present a view that might not agree with the band or with the fellow fans. The fans are mature enough to say, "I can dig that, etc"...and perhaps start a constructive discussion when they recognize the person not agreeing is not looking to troll, but to discuss.

Well, that's what I was trying to do. Now I understand your position, since you didn't just say "the vocals are poor".

Another review:

Zero Hour
Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond

Release date: October 10th 2006
Label: Sensory Records
Provided by: Intromental Management
Distribution: Target (Denmark)
Style: Progressive Metal
Rating: 90/100
Reviewed by: Kenn Jensen
Date: November 13th 2006

'The Towers of Avarice' is still the undisputed best album from the hands of the twin brothers Jasun and Troy Tipton! But 'Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond' comes in as a very close second.

I have been a big fan of theirs ever since I bought their self-financed EP almost a decade ago, and they have stayed truthful to their beliefs all the time, always moving forward introducing news things and sounds to their music. Biggest addition to their sound this time around is new vocalist Chris Salinas, who some of you might know from his former band Power of Omens (RIP)?

He is breathing new air into the mix, and his Geoff Tate-like phrases and general singing suits the music brilliantly. Just put on the disc and listen to the excellent opener "Face the Fear" or hear him around 3:30 into the second track "The Falcon's Cry" - its pure Geoff Tate-like vocals from around the 'Promised Land' era.

'Specs' is a return to the more basic Zero Hour sound, gone are the keyboards from the 'Fragile'-era, the album is once more produced and mixed by up and coming progressive metal producer Dino Alden, who once more has brought out the best of Zero Hour.

Zero Hour is still delivering a full frontal attack of the mind of hard and heavy progressive music, and they continue to impress me with their uncompromising style. The drumming of Mike Guy is once more out of this world, and Jasun and Troy have composed some of their best songs to date; "The Falcon's Cry" has to be one the best progressive metal songs of the year, the title track is perhaps the heaviest Zero Hour song ever, lot's of staccato riffs and a more aggressive style of singing from Chris. Or how about the sheer intensity of "Evidence of the Unseen" - awesome.

So why isn’t this one better than 'Towers'? First of all I am not totally convinced with the ballad "Here I am", which showcases Chris' excellent voice, but really nothing else... And then there the playing time - it merely crosses the 40 minutes mark...

But all in all it's very small issues I have about this otherwise brilliant progressive metal masterpiece, which it still is... because I can't stop listening to it, and still discovers new things and it keeps getting better and better... just the way I like my music - challenging and innovative...

Excellent!

Found this one from the Dutch Metal webzine Lords Of Metal

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=8545&lang=en

Zero Hour - Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond
Sensory

file under Prog/sympho metal

Evil Dr. Smith: Three albums, three different singers. Unless you're someone like Finn Zierler from Beyond Twilight, I don't think this is an ideal situation for the continuation of a band. Zero Hour from San Francisco wasn't happy with it, obviously.

Their original singer Erik Rosvold (who also sung on their first EP, which was re-released as 'Metamorphosis' a couple of years later) appeared to be lazy as hell.. eh, to be an incredible perfectionist that is, so eventually he got the sack. This was the main reason why people had to wait so long for the follow-up of 'Towers Of Avarice' (2001), but in the end the band found one Fred Marshall (local singer from anonymous SF-bands) who did a mighty fine job on 'A Fragile Mind', which was released in the fall of 2005. Looking back on this album, I'm still very positive about it, but not everybody was as euphoric as I was. Some critics enjoyed the album, but thought it lacks the impact 'Towers' had…

That will be different with this album. The co-operation with Fred Marshall seemed to be like a one-session-stand, because shortly after the recordings he was already out of the picture and was replaced by another man: Chris Salinas. Or should I write Geoff Tate Junior? The resemblance is almost embarrassing. Especially in the highest and slight lower registers. Chris sings in those registers better than Geoff had done in the last decade, at least. As high as a castrated nightingale or as low as a cow on heat: he's always extremely in tune, unforced and with a warm timbre. One impressive natural talent!

Keep this bloke Zero Hour gents, will ya please? During the less high octaves Chris also reminds (a lot) like John Archer/Ray Alder of Fates Warning, and together with the glowing progmetal of Zero Hour it's sometimes like I'm trapped in a time warp back to the days of 'Awaken The Guardian' and 'No Exit'. Therefore people who totally worshiped 'Towers…' might not be completely overwhelmed by this new album, because it hasn't got that cold, staccato prog as 'Towers…' had. 'Specs' has a warm, dynamic and sometimes even jazzy/fusion-like atmosphere, although it surely has some bone hard Meshuggah-riffing. Furthermore Zero Hour still excels in haunted, ultra complex riffs in the best Psychotic Waltz tradition.

All this and the exciting build-up songs, the intriguing melodies and exhilarating riffs makes it an album that has the best of all aforementioned bands. Fates Warning, Queensrÿche and Psychotic Waltz would have been more than proud if they made an album like this. One of the best prog albums of this year. If you don't believe me: hearing is believing.

Evil Dr. Smith diagnoses: 90/100

I liked Erik's vocals the best. However, He ain't in the band no mo'. Chris is the vocalist now. His voice is THE voice of the lyrics now. Chris does not sing like Erik. That is okay. If you don't like it, cool. That is your opinion, you don't have to listen if you don't want to. I feel Chris will be with the band for awhile due to a large amount of people liking what he did on SPECS, including myself. I'm sure the band has more stuff ready to record really soon. Maybe, I mean "maybe", they will listen to naysayers and try to have Chris emulate that "DIO" sound that Erik was famous for. I think all these comparisons are a bunch of bull anyway. I think Erik was better than Dio (had more range). Chris is not Geoff Tate! Chris is Chris! Now that the 4 guys have played togethor for awhile on tour and in the studio, the next album will surely be different, and yet familiar. That is what Zero Hour is all about, being different, yet the same. Chris will surely be different, yet familiar. Troy, Jasun, and Mike will be trying new things, but you will still recognize classic Zero Hour. What direction will the next album take? Who Knows?

Any doubters, just take a moment to find some peace and quiet, put some headphones on and play SPECS a couple of times. If you've played it once or twice already, give it a couple of more chances without interruptions. I'm no fanboy, just a fan. These guys have a lot of talent. I'm a guitarist and bassist, but here recently keep thinking and hearing what a great drummer Mike is!

Here's another reiew I received from our PR company in the UK Eleven PR!!

Matt S
www.beyondallremorse.co.uk

ZERO HOUR : Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond : Sensory Records

I have often wondered how a band comes up with the running order of albums. The obvious thing is to put your strongest track on first off so you can grab your listeners attention. Then again if your best is heard first perhaps you may suffer from being accused of creating a downward spiral. Whatever it must be difficult to get right.

Zero Hour, have with all due respect no such problems. Each and every track on this new album is as good as its predecessor and sets the tone for what is to follow. Solid I think its called, a good solid album.

I have to admit that the Progressive Metal genre is one which is quite new to me. As a result I can’t really justify coming up with momentous comparisons and superlatives, or for that matter any real context of words that conveys the brilliance within ‘Specs Of….’. Suffice to say that the album is driven along by some sensational musicians, lead by the twin brothers of Jasun & Troy Tipton who are joined by Mike Guy on drums and the dynamic Chris Salinas on vocal duty. It is the vocals of Salinas that take, what could be describes as complex musical movements and somewhat add a more subtle edge to it all. With a range that is as good as any it all fits perfectly with the entire band dipping into both light and shade at the drop of a high hat.

Its rare that an album hits the spot with something so different quite as quickly as Zero Hour have achieved here. Solid songs, sensational musicianship and a production that will no doubt add weight to their claim to be the next kings of the Prog Metal scene.

Another review that brought to our attention on our myspace page!!

A review from Music Street Journal MSJ - Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond
By Gary Hill

Overall Review

These guys have developed quite a following over the last few years, but I have to admit that this is my first chance to hear them. With as powerful a version of prog metal as they produce it’s no wonder they have attracted so many fans. These guys are really good! I hear a lot of Queensryche in the band, but that’s mostly in the vocals, but they also wander into more progressive rock arenas similar to Dream Theater. Fans of prog metal who haven’t checked them out should really give them a shot – Zero Hour rocks.

Track by Track Review

Face the Fear: This one starts off with a quick paced riff (it sounds like bass, but high up on the neck). The rest of the band enter with this same angular progression and we’re off on the journey. Some non-lyrical vocals soar rather quietly over the top at points on this extended introduction. As they kick into the song proper it feels a lot like Queensryche. After a verse they drop it to a very stripped down, prog metal ballad texture for more vocals with a dramatic, rather forlorn texture. From here the bass takes prominence moving the song ever so slightly upwards. After a time in this mode they eventually scream out in a frantic bit of metal ferocity. They move through a number of changes here, and eventually power out into a very tasty melodic metal journey. This is a strong cut and makes for a great opener. It is really a tribute to the strength of the track that it goes by without seeming like it’s anywhere near its nine-minute length. Bass eventually ends it in much the same way as it started it.

Falcon's Cry: They pound right in with this one showing no signs of letting up on the sonic onslaught. This one has a dark and meaty texture. I’d have to say that I like this one even more than that first cut. At around the two and a half minute mark they drop it back to a more mellow, balladish segment that carries the track for a while. Once again the bass performs the function of moving the track along by bringing in a contrapuntal sort of timing. The vocals here particularly remind me of Geoff Tate quite a bit. This one has a metallic prog rock texture to it at this point, perhaps feeling a bit like Dream Theater – still with a definite Queensryche edge, though. Eventually they power this back out to the more pure metal territory. Some of the sounds on this segment are purely awesome as layers play with and against one another to create a highly dramatic arrangement. They still manage to work in another of the more ballad-like movements here – this time eventually closing that way. At eight-minutes in length this one is shorter than the opener, but still a respectably long song.

Embrace: The sounds that start this instrumental are quite progressive rock (albeit a metallic prog) in nature. This short (2:24) cut is dramatic and powerful. While it is an instrumental there are some non-lyrical vocals soaring over the mix throughout much of it. It includes a couple breaks down to ballad territory. This is a nice break from the metallic fury of much of the previous two pieces. It’s also a great piece of music just on its own.

Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond: The title track pounds in with a thrash sound that’s a startling contrast to the number that preceded it. This extended intro segment is the heaviest sound we’ve heard thus far. A staccato passage enters to serve as the backdrop for the vocals. Again Queensryche is all over this arrangement in terms of those vocals. They power it out into frantic abandon later. The image of Dream Theater merging with Queensryche again shows up at points in this dynamic composition. A false ending gives way to a weird sort of whispered vocals over odd musical tones segment. That part almost calls to mind Goth metal acts like Cradle of Filth a bit. Then they explode this out into a scorching jam that winds the cut through to its conclusion – after some inspired instrumental interplay (that might just cause your jaw to drop open), that is. The track ends abruptly.

Zero Hour: Another instrumental, this starts with odd little riff, then explodes out into frantic prog metal jamming. This is a fast paced scorcher that calls to mind Dream Theater quite a bit. They drop it back to the bass sounds that began this, but it’s got some contrapuntal textures built in this time around. They find time in less than two and a half minutes to pound back out with frantic metal abandon once more. They even manage to turn into a dissonant, off-tempoed Crimson like jam for the conclusion.

I Am Here: A strong contrast to the fury that preceded it, this comes in with a dramatic prog metal ballad texture that calls to mind Fates Warning quite a bit. They don’t really tinker with this formula much, instead just reworking the themes and adding layers of sound here and there. A spoken segment in the backdrop later brings in more of those Queensryche comparisons. This pretty song is a nice change of pace. I like this one a lot.

Evidence of the Unseen: Creepy sound effects start this, but the band quickly jump in with a scorchingly fast paced, slightly off-timed prog metal riff. This gets shifted around a lot in the course of the introduction, the group seeming to make short left turns down dead end alleys, but yet it all fits together somehow. This is definitely the most dynamic cut on the disc. It’s got all the changes and fast paced riffs that progressive rock fans expect from their music. And that’s just the first minute or so. Then they drop it back to more mellow territory for the Queensryche-like vocal delivery. After this, though, they pound it back out to the sound collage that came before once again. An alternating pattern of these two segments ensues. This one might take a little while to get a grasp on, but it’s also a definite contender for the masterwork of the disc. It’s full of changes and contrasting segments. The segment which draws the tune to its end is simply incredible with its multiple layers of mostly spoken or whispered vocals. This cut is a great slice of prog metal at it’s best and you can’t really pick a better song on which to end. This one is simply awesome!
http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/zerohour06cd.htm

Alright I just had this forward to me from Intromental!!!

Digital Steel - albumrevs

Zero Hour
01. Face the Fear
02. The Falcon's Cry
03. Embrace
04. Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond
05. Zero Hour
06. I Am Here
07. Evidence of the Unseen
The American band Zero Hour didn't had a easy time the last few years.
After their very successful second 2001 album, The Towers of Avarice, original singer Erik Rosvold left the band in September 2004. The band was then already waiting for 3 years to hear his contribution on what would have become their new album. A year later Zero Hour would release the album A Fragile Mind with singer Fred Marshall. The album was well received but did not get the same positive reactions as "Towers". It soon became clear that the bands also knew that something was not well because as just fast as Marshall was hired he was out of the band again. Then on February the 4th of this year we heard the news that ex-Power of Omens vocalist Chris Salinas would be the permanent singer.

For those who don't know, Power of Omens was a very progressive metal band from Texas who's 1998 debut album was a classic in the prog-metal genre. However the question was if Chris Salinas with his sensitive Geoff Tate like voice would fit with the band. Because Zero Hour plays very technical metal with intense walls of sounds and staccato riffs that now and then sound like Fear Factory. But when I heard the album, all fears were put to rest, this time the band has made the right choice.

It is noticeable that the band has put a lot more quiet sometimes almost jazz-like passages in their songs, which makes sure that the quiet and atmospheric voice of Salinas is given space to shine. I trust that I won't have to tell to anyone that this does wonders for the dynamics of the album. Once you get used to the intense style of Zero Hour, you are rewarded with an fantastic album that will draw you in completely. There are only 7 songs on this 45 minutes and 8 seconds lasting album, but each song shines like a jewel. Really beautiful are those passages where bassist Troy Tipton, Guitarist Jasun Tipton, yes they are twin-brothers, and drummer Mike Guy build up the tension in the songs, from quiet to intense, from wild to relaxt. Like, for example, in Evidence Of The Unseen, The Falcon’s Cry or the beautiful album opener Face The Fear.

Chris Salinas whispers, talks, sings and screams himself through this album in a magnificent manner and proves that he is the perfect vocalist for Zero Hour. The diverse compositions and the fact that they have been written like real songs makes sure that this album is endlessly intriguing. There are new things to hear time after time and the album keeps on growing. This is what makes listening to Specs Of Pictures Burned Beyond a mesmerizing and addictive experience.

Its very likely that this album will top my year list at the end of this year. It’s a metal classic and thus a fantastic achievement of this young and promising band.

Rating: 98 /100
Review was written by: Henri

WOW!!! Just was notified about this review in a message from our myspace page....VERY METAL!!

Zero Hour
Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond Sensory Records

by Derric Miller
Staff Writer

Comments: The only thing about Zero Hour's new CD that isn't nonpareil is probably the somewhat grandiose title, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond. Otherwise, on this incredible Progressive Metal juggernaut's new release, they have added one of the best, somewhat unknown singers in the universe, Chris Salinas, formerly of the ridiculously overlooked machine Power of Omens. The brothers Tipton-Jason on guitars and Troy on bass-are rapidly becoming the measuring stick that inevitably leaves other bands found wanting.

But it's the songs that really count, and that's where Zero Hour brings it home.

Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond begins with a 9-minute (exactly) track, "Face the Fear." It is pure chaotic yet repetitious noise, something probably improbable before you hear this song. The bass line is riveting, machine-like, while the crazy hook repeats over and over in a real semblance of actual "fear." When Salinas begins singing, well, then it all comes together. For those fans of early Queensryche, who miss this type of range and emotion, Salinas will leave you bereft no longer. The tempo changes are severe and rabid, yet make perfect sense. Holy shit …

"The Falcon's Cry" is next, and if you want to hear a singer at the top of his game, this is the song for you. This one begins noisy, like static, and the bass line is again intricate and powerful. But it's Salinas screaming, "Something's gonna die!" at this basically unattainable note that proves Zero Hour has finally found "their voice." This song is exactly 8 minutes in length, and don't think for a second they didn't do that on purpose. The way these guys play, you know nothing is left to chance.

The flash a bit of calm on the instrumental "Embrace," forgoing the earlier bludgeoning and playing with beauty and reserve. That all goes away in a hurry, though, as you lead in to the title track. Zero Hour isn't like Dream Theater, really, because they are HEAVY. While they have a propensity for changing tempos, most of this release is fast, and then faster. The machine-gun riffs in "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond" are heavier than anything Dream Theater has done, and so are the background death vocals. Salinas screams, pitch-perfect, amazing again.

When they do finally slow it down, it's on "I Am Here." These guys are a real musician's band, like Spock's Beard, and you know when other musicians hear this release they are thinking, "Damn, man. Look what we are up against." You'll get the melancholy of a Queensryche ballad again, a mournful sense of longing, and it's all acoustic guitar and Salinas, shining immensely.

Zero Hour was sort of an underground phenomenon before this release. They won't be underground or unknown anymore. Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond should catapult them to the top of the Progressive Metal genre. Here's to the album of the year …

www.myspace.com/zerohourband

Track Listing:
1. Face the Fear
2. The Falcon's Cry
3. Embrace
4. Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond
5. Zero Hour
6. I Am Here
7. Evidence of the Unseen

HRH Rating: 9.3/10

http://www.hardrockhaven.net/reviews2006/dec2006/Zero%20Hour - Specs.php