Let's talk about Avantasia.

I'd agree that there were huge changes from the Metal Opera's and the Wicked Trilogy, however the Metal Opera was telling a fantasy story where the Wicked Trilogy was telling a story that is closer to real life, with a bit of Faust mixed in, and thus was a bit more dark and gritty. At least that's the way I took the changes. Avantasia can really make any sound sound good, however I assume they chose to have the albums sound the way they did. I say they as it is obvious that Tobias takes advice when it is given for Avantasia.

To be honest, I can't even see the story in the new albums. I genuinely believe Tobi's explanation of "it's up to the listener to interpret the story" is a subtle way of saying "there really isn't a fluid story here, just a couple concepts that aren't linked together very well" >_> I mean, I know they play certain characters, like Jorn is a guy giving advice to Tobi's character, I think? But it's just really hard to see it as a story when the Metal Operas were much more... well, easy to follow, I suppose :p There aren't even character names in the new ones, haha.

Though I definitely understand people who can follow it. Actually I believe on the Edguy/Avantasia forum there are several explanations of the tale.

To be honest, I can't even see the story in the new albums. I genuinely believe Tobi's explanation of "it's up to the listener to interpret the story" is a subtle way of saying "there really isn't a fluid story here, just a couple concepts that aren't linked together very well" >_> I mean, I know they play certain characters, like Jorn is a guy giving advice to Tobi's character, I think? But it's just really hard to see it as a story when the Metal Operas were much more... well, easy to follow, I suppose :p There aren't even character names in the new ones, haha.

Though I definitely understand people who can follow it. Actually I believe on the Edguy/Avantasia forum there are several explanations of the tale.

Yeah The Scarecrow came with an explanation of the story then Tobias got lazy and didn't write a detailed version of the second and third parts. Basically it's his interpretation of Faust, well at least there are many similarities between the two including Mephistopheles.