Let's talk drum mics

Here's what I did recently for an indie rock/hardcore band with a 100% natural drums approach ala Albini (shitons of room sound).

Kick hole D112 (everybody and their grand mother hate it but sometimes you don't always want a clicky scooped sound and it's just fine for that, also I don't dig my D6 all that much lately) Gassing for an Heil PR48 though.
Kick reso head M-audio Solaris. I hated that LDC mic on almost everything so far but I found out it has a massive low-end extension so I might not "dispose" of it after all.

SD top Audix D2 (I wanted to try something new and it exceeded my expectations, giving me a fat dry and very defined sound and it has a great off-axis rejection which was great to deal with a powerful hat.)
SD top 2 T-bone Sc140 (pencil condenser, cheap so no fear of it getting hit, great at picking harmonics that were rejected by the D2)
SD bottom SM7 (another pleasant -not so surprising- surprise, my new favorite bottom mic, perfect aimed at the reso head but avoiding the wires because it's better that way to my ears)

Rack Tom MD421n (absolutely perfect)
Floor Tom Audix D4

Hat Oktavamod MK012
Ride Oktavamod MK012

ORTF overhead: Oktavamod NT1A (great smooth sounding picture of the whole kit)
Spaced overhead Oktavamod NT5 (great surgical precision, awesome snappy transient response, just a tad too bright maybe)

Room Near Direct: 2 Apex 210 in MS configuration (another great hyper-realistic representation of the whole kit, what you hear when standing in front of it)
Room Near Diffused: T-bone RM700 mid, T-bone Rb500 Side,( inspired by Kurt Ballou, I used thick foam panels as Gobos to get more ambient than direct sound, will do again, very dark and smooth tone)

Room Far: 2 T-bone MM-1 omni measurement mics in spaced pair. (very cool, just a tad harsh in the high end but definitely interesting for capturing a nice natural reverb tail)

Room mid: Apex 205 mid, T-bone Rb100 side. (another set of ribbon in MS, probably overkill but it sounds really nice on it's own, dark and smooth with a fat low-end.)

Mono room: AKG CBL-99. Just a PZM I put there on the floor. A bit Nasty sounding.

Here's a rough mix of just the drums. Not a lot of EQ AFAICR, but some compression obviously. Not a metal sound at all anyway but I hope someone will find it interesting.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2973685/drums rough test.mp3

Interesting, I have had the exact opposite result. I end up with every hit of every drum looking the same. Versus a 57 or 421, the hits are much clearer and the bleed is considerably less.

Now I will admit for like rock drums or jazz where I want the bleed, I would rather take the bleed from the M179's over a dynamic any day.

I thought maybe I was fucking up the placement, but even working that I would even get crazy bleed from toms on the side. Pads enabled and hypercardioid. Even using figure 8 for two toms had crazy bleed in the nulls.

Are you in a larger room? Maybe I am just getting reflection off my walls (they are treated). Super weird.

I do track in a larger room so that may be why we have different results, but it still seems weird that you have so much bleed compared to other mics. Like you said, though, the bleed on the m179 sounds much better than bleed from dynamics.

Sn top: i5
Sn res: sm98
Sn side: sm98
Kick: sm7b presence engaged.
Toms: sm57 rack, Sennheiser E604 floor.
OH: t-bone SC140. Surprisingly good for the money. I got these to mod them later but even M. Joly says the capsule housing is great and the difference when modded is small.
217566d1296563902-best-sdc-money-184_140_450.jpg

Spot cymbals: whatever, normally sm57's on HH and Ride.
Room: AKG C414 ULS.

Pretty low-cost set. I could get me some nicer ones but I try to focus on the drums, heads, tuning, mic positioning and the performance now.

Kick: d6 or d112 depending on application.
Snare: sm57 or atm650
Toms: md421 or sm57s with a d4 on floor tom.
Hats: sm7, I haven't found something I prefer yet
Ride: a small diaphragm condenser usually
Oh: at4040

Im surprised to see so many using different mics on different toms. I like a consistent sound on my toms so I tend to use the same mics on all toms. I've been liking 57s all my 10 12 16 toms.

Kick - akg d112 or sm7b
Snare top - sm57
Bottom - sm57 or sometimes sm58 no ball if I'm short on 57s
Toms - sm57 assuming largest tom is 16 or so.
Hats - sm7b
Overheads - loving at4040s lately (consecutive serial numbers, not that it matters)
Room - don't laugh I've been digging a mono dynamic room mic. Sm58 works great or sm7b. I stumbled upon it by leaving a vocal mic on in the room by accident. It sounded awesome. I like to place a baffle between the mic and the kit.

Im surprised to see so many using different mics on different toms. I like a consistent sound on my toms so I tend to use the same mics on all toms. I've been liking 57s all my 10 12 16 toms.

I've done all 57s on the toms. The D112 adds a little more thunder to the lower toms. Sometimes I want it, sometimes I don't. Either way what I hate about the D112 on a kick is what I love about it on floor toms.

dude great job! what's on the snare and OHs?

Thanks! Snare is slightly augmented but its 450 too. The 450 is really snappy and i do think if the drummer plays well it really captures how a tom sound, or atleast how i perceive it :)
Think it is Peluso cemc6. Great mic but i just bought the king of all OH mic's, vintage Neumann km84's :D

Can't listen atm but you don't get too much bleed with these mics??

No they are very pointed. Small pencil's but they only take up noise from the front:

atm450_4_sq.jpg

Very interesting! Wanted to buy D2s but I'll try to get this one to make a test before spending money :)