Lets talk Neo-Classical metal bands

BoogieMk1

Jun 25, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
im an avid player myself of 22yrs experience, im very much in the alternate picker and sweeper mould, im trying to source bands who have gtr style that is neoclassically influenced, that is, very technically demanding and precise lines...but retaining good melodic content also.

importantly, i really hate poor singing and gruff vocals, all that "beuuurrrrghhhh" and growly stuff is not to my liking at all. any body able to list bands you might think id be interested in ?

im gonna download some stuff by stratovarius and rhapsody to night to see what they are like but your suggestions are gratefully received . :)

SYMPHONY X..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donwload everything you can right now, trust me this is EXACTLY what you are looking for...

Some recommendations...

The Edge of Forever
The Damnation Game
Dressed to Kill
Of Sins and Shadows
Sea of Lies
The Accolade
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Candelight Fantasia
Smoke and Mirrors
Church of the Machine
Through the Looking Glass
V: The New Mythology Suite (whole concept album)
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Wicked
The Accolade II
Awakenings
The Odyssey

Oops, long list...

Like the man above me hinted at,hehe, Symphony X is an amazing band. amazing! You should also check out Nightwish. Killer riffs, harmonies, and soaring opera-esque female vocals(splooge). Check out the album Oceanborn.

checking out classical music would not be a bad idea either. that's how yngwie, romeo, turilli and all of them learned. but i wouldn't be surprised if you're already familiar with the classics

I have to agree with most other people here with Symphony X and one thing is for sure, you won't find the vocalist "bad." In fact, though I also have many years under my belt (18) as a guitarist as well, one of SXs few weaknesses is that they DO have such a great vocalist but Romeo (guitarist/orchestral programmer/songwriter) doesn't write so many songs that really show off his vocalists' talent. Trust me when I say the vocalist, Russell Allen is that good.
Many of the faster songs Romeo writes basically sounds like old Yngwie (Yngwie's attempt at rythm) but there are some gems like Accolade II, The Odyssee and many others. SX is still a neo-classical band, but they have moved quite a bit into a more of a prog format without really losing the NC style and it has served them well.
I can only assume you own Yngwie albums. If not, Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force, Marching Out and Odyssee are must have's. Odyssee had Joe Lynn Turner on vocals which created a more "accessible" or poppy Yngwie sound, but song writing and over-all quality didn't suffer and in fact, improved. JLT and YM were tailored for each other and should have put out more than the one studio release (there is aslo a live release with JLT on vox)
If you are looking for GREAT guitar go back to 80's German metal. Wolff Hoffmann of Accept was a heavily influenced by classical and although the band was far and away from Neo-Classical, the Metal Heart - Russian Roulette era Accept had some of the best guitar work I have ever heard. The same goes for the 80's Scorpions. Because they had a good bit of commercial success, they were a bit overlooked by guitarists, but I'll argue with anyone until I'm blue in the face about Mattias Jabs over Micheal Schenker. If I could phrase like Jabs, I would never put my guitar down. I can't think of anyone better.

I realize these last two are not close to neo-classical, but if you aren't familiar with these two Teutonic Supermen Hoffman and Jabs, I think you will be impressed by there precision, combination of styles, phrasing and production as both bands were produced by Dieter Dirks who is known to "hide" extra guitar tracks and riffs in the production and is a guitar oriented producer.

Bryant

thanks guys, im pretty familiar with what you have listed. this may surprise you but..........im not that big on yngwie, i find with him its the same old scale all the time and i think his ability to include lyrics into a song to be poor.....i am a viking , i feel is a sterling example of crud songwriting. :yell:

when i listen to ..say....lead us into war by sinergy featuring the AWESOME alexi laiho and then some yngwie, i cant help feel the yng stuff sounds 3rd rate. of course i have rising force and marching out, both timeless stuff, but he aint said anything new since and how much can you use descending e harmonic minor lines.

im a huge accept fan but i couldnt say the same for the scorps....stuff that makes me wretch into a bucket like winds of change kinda soured me towards them. symphony x i will surely investigate , if i say george bellas to you, what would you say ?

ive already heard joe stump, mindboggling playing but nary a shred IMHO of any emotion behind it, more like clinic playing. so again.....any recommendation warmly received.

well i would suggest Apocalyptica, that band really makes "classical metal"

some of their songs you can check out :
Cortége
No Education
Somewhere Around Nothing
and my favorite; Hall of the Mountain King (you'll recognize it when you hear it)

SpeakerfortheDead said:
If you like Symphony X you should check out Adagio. No where near that level but still a solid band.

Yes, a very solid progressive band. Russell Allen is simply amazing. His range is so damn amazing. The guitar work is great and so is the drumming.

BoogieMk1 said:
ive already heard joe stump, mindboggling playing but nary a shred IMHO of any emotion behind it, more like clinic playing. so again.....any recommendation warmly received.

Heh...

Funny but cool story...

Joe Stump was my brother's metal lab teacher...

these guys are known for powermetal but go to jag panzer http://jagpanzer.com and check out Chris Brodericks video of Rondo Alla Turca by Mozart and some other work. it also has tabs. the singer, Tyrant, has a real 4 octave voice. excellent group.
i'm sure you've already done the older guys like King Crimson, Ritchie Blackmore, E.L.P, Hawkwind, Lesli West(the great fatsby) of Mountain, and Yes. if not check them out