these EUROPEAN metal bands just nail ya to the wall !!

BoogieMk1

Jun 25, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
i had gotten browned off with metal, the last good bands i heard stemmed from the 80s, 90s metal is of no interest to me whatever, im a gtr player of 22 yrs experience, and to me, i think they forgot how to play during the 90s :erk:

and as for nu-metal......ill pass.

i was looking for bands who knew how to rock and hadnt forgotten good gtr playing .... i came across these bands :

Blind Guardian
Rhapsody
Children of Bodom
Sinergy
Running Wild
Iced Earth
Hammerfall

the flame in metal is burning bright, these bands just make me wanna drive at 100 mph.....searing guitar, good singing, melody throughout, and fantastic production. the dynamite that accept left in the 80s petered out with what i feel was mediocre metal in the 90s ...thank gawd the music has the edge back in my opinion. shit like bon jovi , def leppard and all that radio friendly stuff hasnt a patch on those bands, any other listeners to the bands i listed here ? :wave:

I listen to Children Of Bodom. I'm not a big power metal fan due to the operatic vocals and vocal harmonies, so I don't really listen to the other bands you listed. Rhapsody do have some cool guitarwork and instrumentation though.

Hammerfall, Blind Guardian rule, COB are good too,
my favorites are, In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy etc too though....
get to see Hammerfall in 49days \m/
along with Nightwish :) at bloodstock!

Blind Guardian and to a lesser extent Rhapsody are both very good.

However I think the rest (and almost every other band on the Euro-metal scene) are pretty derivative and dull. Especially Iced Earth (who do, however put on a very good live show)

Alex999 said:
Blind Guardian and to a lesser extent Rhapsody are both very good.

However I think the rest (and almost every other band on the Euro-metal scene) are pretty derivative and dull. Especially Iced Earth (who do, however put on a very good live show)

Iced earth isnt from europe though, they are one of the few bands actually from the united states. So apparently there are some bands from the US

iAMtheblackwizards said:
Iced earth isnt from europe though, they are one of the few bands actually from the united states. So apparently there are some bands from the US

Oh, there's loads of decent bands from the US at the moment, I just don't think IE is one of them. You've got Dream Theater, Symphony X, Savatage, Jag Panzer, etc

iAMtheblackwizards said:

There are alot of bands from the US...but most of them suck!

Nice choices, especially Running Wild, they are one of my all time favorite bands. If you like them and Iced Earth and such you should check out Grave Digger, I really think you would like them. They are from Germany and have been running strong since the early to mid 80's.

Hammerfall os great nice to see you are into them. I saw them open for Dio and December and they were great. I love their style of metal.

Rhapsody and especially Blind Guardian are great too. Nice to see this music being more spread and accepted by fans. Some other bands you may want to check out are:

Nevermore, Gamma Ray, Seven Witches, Stratovarius, Helloween, Edguy. Primal Fear, Sinner, Dream Evil, Iron Savior, and Rage.

Also since you are into Blind Guardian and Iced Earth check out Demons and Wizards which is a side project of Hansi from Blind Guardian and Jon from Iced Earth.

Hello this is Rich from www.thatssometal.com . We are a website based in New Jersey and report on many of the Power Metal bands that do well in Europe and need the exposure in the states. We also hold parties at bars in the NJ/NY area where we play all styles of true metal, and play plenty of these great power metal bands. I will be attending Wacken this year and will have a full report with pictures on our website. Check with our site regularly as we always keep up to date with news, reviews, interviews, etc. All are welcome to come to our website parties.

Here are some of the bands we like to think of as the "Big Boys" of Power/Prog Metal: Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Iced Earth, Grave Digger, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Angra, Nightwish, Rage, Edguy, Hammerfall, Seven Witches, Primal Fear, Rhapsody, Virgin Steele, Evergrey, Symphony X.

I've yet to satisfy my yearning for a metal band where the vocalist dresses up like Dan Quayle and spends the entire concert giving out to the crowd.

Someone feed my appetite.

Good listings, Wayland!
One thing forgotten in your list was the ultimate... Running Wild--this band brings a bit of fun to the Power Metal scene! Its refreshing to see that band like these are finally being recognized as creative forces here in the states. For once, we as a people may be branching out beyond what is pumped at us from the commercial scene. Bands as you have listed re-awaken the senses--bring style, musicianship and creativity to the foreground in heavy metal music. We will rise once again...and Power Metal seems to be our future!

Peace! Puzzy!!

BTW----AWESOME website!!!!! WWW.THATSSOMETAL.COM

puzzy

well said. what im finding in this music is one killer ingredient

MELODY......memorable and effective hooks that just stick in your mind, couple this with high calibre playing and musicianship and there is a formula that CAN NOT fail.

give me the choice between the euro power metal and a lot of the open E riffing and vocals that go "bleeeuuuughhhhhh" well its not hard to choose for me ............ :tickled: