Let's talk wrasslin'

I think the best way to sum it up is Punk says he doesn't care what people think of him, but he clearly does. He tries to put up a wall and claim that people can say whatever they want about him, he's just going to keep doing what he's doing. But then somebody says something and he loses his shit and starts fights. As much as I'm not a Moxley fan, what he said a year ago (or whenever it was) is absolutely true.

"Enjoy Punk while you can because he isn't going to be here much longer. Fragile mind, fragile ego, fragile body." And that's pretty much exactly how it went. I was listening to a clip of Kevin Nash's podcast and he said "At this point, Punk is basically a bully." It's so surreal to think that is the case because he's always come across as "the old way of 'wrestling' was fucked up, we have to do things differently", but then he pulls all of this. It's just hard to grasp.

It's just a very sad situation all around. Before the Hangman/Elite stuff started Punk was on his way to building a legacy in AEW. His debut was an all-time moment in wrestling. He'd already done some stellar work, was hugely over, the top merch seller in the company (and still is, I believe), had the respect of people backstage... it's incredible how it all nosedived so incredibly fast. Dude could have been the cornerstone of AEW for years to come. Instead he'll be remembered for the backstage bullshit, Brawl Out, the unprofessional shoot promos and being fired for assaulting a co-worker and seemingly attempting to assault his boss - who by all accounts is one of the most meek, mild-mannered people you're ever likely to meet.

Still, what's done is done. I do wonder how the Punk loyalists in the company will react. FTR were his biggest supporters, and there were some others who backed him as well.

Haven't watched Payback or All Out yet, but the latest on Punk is that he had beef with William Regal as well.

Punk refused to shake Regal’s hand, and would then get in the legends face, telling him that he did not like him, he did not trust him and that Regal was a “stooge for Triple H".

Starting to wonder if there was anyone outside of FTR that he didn't have a problem with.

This is why you try not to burn bridges with everyone who has slighted you in the past. Sometimes it's better to be the bigger man and move on.

I read the results of Payback but it didn't look particularly interesting, so I doubt I'll watch it, but I did watch All Out. It admittedly felt a bit like a B-Show after All In, and having two PPVs run so close together isn't a great business move, but anyway...

MJF/Cole vs Dark Order was fine, but Dark Order have lost a ton of momentum from their previous position of being pretty over. Cole and MJF's dynamic is fun, but it's a bit weird for the promotion's primary champion to be wrestling in the opening match defending the ROH tag titles. The blurring of AEW and ROH continues to bother me. Does the promotion need two set of tag team titles as well as trios titles, all of which can potentially be defended on AEW shows? I did like the confrontation between MJF and Joe - very well done and will be a cracker of a feud if they go down that route. Joe is awesome.

I don't know who Shane Taylor is, honestly, but his match with Joe was actually pretty fun. A shame it only went around six minutes, as I thought they worked well together.

Luchasaurus and Darby Allin had a solid match, but the more they try to make Luchasaurus into a serious threat, the more I think the Luchasaurus gimmick holds him back. It was funny and cute as part of the Jurassic Express, but as a monster heel the name "Luchasaurus" just sounds silly. Nonetheless they're doing a good job of turning him into a powerhouse monster, and Christian is great in his role too. Not sure if Allin was being written out post-match for some time off, but I hope so. He's a great worker but the bumps he takes are frightening.

Miro and Hobbs was also a lot of fun. Two meaty men slapping meat, as Big E would say, and the crowd's various chants about meat were pretty hilarious. The unprotected chair shot to Hobbs' head post-match was unnecessary. Very poor form from AEW there. Lana appearing was a surprise, but I don't know why they chose now to introduce her, considering how long Miro has been in the company.

Didn't care about Statlander/Soho - wish they'd just break up the Outcasts already.

Bryan and Starks' strap match was brutal, but well done. Cool for Danielson to come out to The Final Countdown again. It's a really cool entrance. What an anthem. The match was solid and Starks gained a lot in defeat. Danielson has obviously come back early from injury - maybe because of the Punk stuff - but I hope they go easy on him as his arm was still pretty heavily wrapped up.

Shibata/Kingston vs Claudio/Yuta was solid, but had a difficult task following the strap match, and the crowd was a bit quiet.

Takeshita/Omega was a very good matchup, with the right person going over as they continue to build Takeshita as a legitimate main eventer.

The multi-man tag match didn't do much for me, again because I don't know enough about Bullet Club Gold. Second time in a row where I've seen BCG win and the crowd go silent, which I don't think is a good sign.

Moxley and Orange Cassidy had a main event worthy brawl to end the show. Great effort by both men, although I was a little surprised to see Orange lose the strap to Mox, who doesn't really seem to need it. On the other hand, the BCC has lost a lot of matches lately, and AEW seemed to be re-establishing them as a force tonight with all members winning their respective matches.

Overall it was a pretty good show, hampered by coming up so soon after All In.

The more time goes on, the less I care about AEW. Their complete lack of good creative and storytelling isn’t doing it for me. Beyond MJF/Cole, nothing is interesting to me. I think the kind of wrestling I like is happening over in WWE right now. Gunther and Chad Gable had an amazing main event match on Raw the other night. There were a few really good matches at Payback as well.

I’ve said it before, AEW is a glorified indy promotion and I just don’t care about it. They had a real shot at being the number 2 promotion and it’s been squandered. In a few years, they’ll be just like TNA. They are a VERY distant number 2. I’ve always been a fan of the big match feel, the stories, etc and I think WWE just does that much better than anyone else. I had hoped AEW would be a WCW, but it’s not even close. Wembley was a good show but that’s where it lies for me. For a guy who supposedly has all of this money, Tony Khan certainly isn’t putting it into production value.

Ace Steel is gone from AEW. Again. Kind of shame honestly. I watch/listen to the Wrestling Perspective podcast where Ace is a frequent guest and honestly he comes across as a level-headed, really nice guy. I think the dude gets a bad wrap for defending his friend.

I was listening to Eric Bischoff’s podcast yesterday. I know Bischoff is a polarizing figure in wrestling — some people love him, some people hate him, whatever. He made some good points however. He speculated that Warner/Discovery owns part of AEW, which would track with how much leeway they give AEW for no apparent reason and that that is why Punk was truly fired. When you’ve got people screaming about unsafe working environment, a major company like Warner/Discovery doesn’t need that PR. He also mentioned Tony Khan talking about fearing for his life and how on the surface, it seems like such a ridiculous thing to say. He went on to say that as ridiculous as it seems, it is a very smart thing to say to cover your ass from potential lawsuits that Punk may bring against the company for unlawful termination and the like.

There’s been a lot of chatter about Survivor Series being in Chicago this year. It’s amazing to me that so many people, even ones within the business, are flat-out saying they wouldn’t be surprised to see Punk back in WWE. That goes along with pretty much everything we know about that company; if it is “good for business” and they think money can be made there, they will do pretty much anything. Just look at their deal with Saudi. In this scenario, I think it would not be good for their locker room though. I think while Punk does still have friends there, I’m sure that entire locker room is very aware of the situation in AEW, knowing details none of us know and that could be bad for morale. There’s also the matter of a potential non-compete clause.

The more time goes on, the less I care about AEW. Their complete lack of good creative and storytelling isn’t doing it for me. Beyond MJF/Cole, nothing is interesting to me. I think the kind of wrestling I like is happening over in WWE right now. Gunther and Chad Gable had an amazing main event match on Raw the other night. There were a few really good matches at Payback as well.

I’ve said it before, AEW is a glorified indy promotion and I just don’t care about it. They had a real shot at being the number 2 promotion and it’s been squandered. In a few years, they’ll be just like TNA. They are a VERY distant number 2. I’ve always been a fan of the big match feel, the stories, etc and I think WWE just does that much better than anyone else. I had hoped AEW would be a WCW, but it’s not even close. Wembley was a good show but that’s where it lies for me. For a guy who supposedly has all of this money, Tony Khan certainly isn’t putting it into production value.

I have a similar relationship to AEW as I do with WWE these days, I'll usually watch their PPVs, but only read recaps of the TV shows. Not enough good storytelling happens in AEW, and WWE has only really had the Bloodline storyline as a major hook over the past year - and that's now fading out. There's usually some good matches on both companies' PPVs though, and the hype packages beforehand are usually enough to catch me up on the gist of whatever story they're trying to tell. It was also basically how I used to watch NXT back in the day - skip the TV, watch the Takeovers. AEW has been worth it alone on the past couple of PPVs for Sting's entrance to Seek & Destroy and Danielson's Final Countdown entrance, honestly.

I think AEW is more destined to be like early-90s WCW in terms of popularity and reach than TNA. I mean, it was bigger and more impressive than TNA from day one. No offence to TNA as I loved watching their show in the mid-2000s, but AEW is in another ballpark. They're a distant second to WWE and I don't see that changing, but they have provided their share of awesome moments and it gives workers a second big company that pays well to go to, so I'm glad they're around even if my fandom is hugely decreased from a couple of years ago.

Ace Steel is gone from AEW. Again. Kind of shame honestly. I watch/listen to the Wrestling Perspective podcast where Ace is a frequent guest and honestly he comes across as a level-headed, really nice guy. I think the dude gets a bad wrap for defending his friend.

I was listening to Eric Bischoff’s podcast yesterday. I know Bischoff is a polarizing figure in wrestling — some people love him, some people hate him, whatever. He made some good points however. He speculated that Warner/Discovery owns part of AEW, which would track with how much leeway they give AEW for no apparent reason and that that is why Punk was truly fired. When you’ve got people screaming about unsafe working environment, a major company like Warner/Discovery doesn’t need that PR. He also mentioned Tony Khan talking about fearing for his life and how on the surface, it seems like such a ridiculous thing to say. He went on to say that as ridiculous as it seems, it is a very smart thing to say to cover your ass from potential lawsuits that Punk may bring against the company for unlawful termination and the like.

There’s been a lot of chatter about Survivor Series being in Chicago this year. It’s amazing to me that so many people, even ones within the business, are flat-out saying they wouldn’t be surprised to see Punk back in WWE. That goes along with pretty much everything we know about that company; if it is “good for business” and they think money can be made there, they will do pretty much anything. Just look at their deal with Saudi. In this scenario, I think it would not be good for their locker room though. I think while Punk does still have friends there, I’m sure that entire locker room is very aware of the situation in AEW, knowing details none of us know and that could be bad for morale. There’s also the matter of a potential non-compete clause.

I don't know what Ace was doing in AEW other than being Punk's boy, so I have no idea if it's good or bad that he's gone. If we're being honest he was lucky to be around in the first place after literally biting one of the EVPs, lmao. I don't know the guy other than that, but it seems like he was in AEW solely because of Punk, so it's not a surprise he's gone alongside Punk.

I'm not sure it's true that Warner gives AEW leeway for no apparent reason - AEW has been far more successful than Warner predicted (they had Dynamite pencilled for around 500k a week max, and AEW has been consistently well above that), it's cheap programming and they barely have to spend a penny on it as the owner is rich and funds the majority of the promotion himself. Unlike TNA for example, who had Spike TV paying Sting's contract. So, I would imagine Warner gives AEW leeway simply because it's a successful show and they have a good relationship with Khan and AEW's execs. It's certainly possible they own a stake, but they've got reasons to cut AEW some slack beyond that. Also from what I read Warner actually liked Punk and were heavily pressuring AEW to ensure he was the face of Collision and appeared on the first show, so I can't imagine they were too keen to get rid as he was undoubtedly the biggest draw in AEW in terms of pure drawing power and merch sales. Danielson as the face and potential booker of Collision could be awesome though, if those rumours are true.

Tbf I think Punk was simply fired for assaulting his co-workers twice and then going after his boss, The last one being the key. I don't think many people walk away from that with their job in tact. I thought it was harsh to ridicule Khan's suggestion that he feared for his life. On the surface it may sound dramatic, but it's understandable considering Punk's history, how enraged he apparently was at All In, and the fact he had literally watched Punk try to choke out Jack Perry. Punk is also a big dude and a trained fighter, whereas Khan is a scrawny fanboy. He gets knocked over and smashes his head on a desk or the floor and it genuinely could be game over. So I get what he means when he says he feared for his life, even if it seems crazy initially. Obviously it also helps to justify firing Punk from a legal perspective, but it's only useful if it actually has merit.

As far as Punk and WWE... they had their chance to sign him a few years ago when he started appearing on their FOX backstage show, and they passed. I don't see Endeavour forcing WWE to sign Punk if Vince and Triple H are against it, and by the sounds of it Vince especially has no interest in having Punk back. Since they last passed on Punk he's gotten four years older, been seriously injured twice, made numerous enemies through his behaviour backstage and eventually got himself fired for that behaviour. It's wrestling and you never say never - things have happened that I never thought would happen - but I would be genuinely shocked to see Punk show up for anything other than a potential HOF induction some time in the future. Maybe some kind of brief cameo at best.

Who knows, though. Punk's return would certainly put a lot of eyeballs on the product. As you say though, backstage morale could take a pretty big hit, and I'm not sure Triple H would risk that. You've got some pretty big stars, like Seth Rollins, who have been very outspoken on their negative feelings towards Punk.

I think I just like when stuff happens in wrestling that gets people saying "holy shit, is this actually happening?" much like when AEW initially signed Punk. So I would personally be very entertained watching people freak out because Punk was back in WWE. Obviously that isn't a reason to do it, I just kind of hope it happens so I can sit back and watch the shitstorm. It's interesting to me that Punk was in WWE for almost a decade and all the bad shit we heard about was really focused on his last year there. I'm sure a lot of that stuff built up over time, but clearly at some point he was capable of falling in line and working in a place like WWE.

I suppose it could really be a sign of the times as to why Punk was fired. I read all these stories from back in the day where attacking your co-workers and even your boss in pro wrestling not only didn't get you fired, but happened frequently. People pulling guns and shit. I watched a shoot interview with Scott Hall once where he told the story about how he beat the shit out of Marty Jannetty. As the story goes, Marty got a hotel room and put it under Scott Hall's name and then trashed the room so Hall was billed for it. When Hall got to the building he found Marty sleeping in the locker room and proceeded to beat the hell out of him to the point where he had Marty's blood all over his shirt. The consequences? I believe this happened in Kansas City which was Harley Race's territory and Harley took him aside and said "hey kid, next time you do that shit, wait until he's had his match because now the fucking guy can't work." They laughed about it and moved on. If that happened today, not only would someone be fired, they would probably be sued. The Bulldogs/Rougeaus is another classic. Even in more recent times, Jericho/Lesnar, Batista/Booker T... it was never looked at as a big deal. It was always blamed on "boys are going to be boys." It's just crazy how much things have changed. I'm not saying it isn't for the better either. I just think after hearing these stories for most of my life and seeing people flip out now, I'm like "what exactly is the big deal here?" You add the boss into it and it becomes more complicated. But people act surprised that locker rooms full of a bunch of dudes fight.

I don't know, maybe I'm just jaded.

I would also be very interested in a Punk return to WWE purely for the reaction and drama that would follow. Plus I think Punk is still one of the best there is on the mic, and he's still passable in the ring with the right opponent and a match that's laid out to hide his weaknesses. I genuinely enjoyed his pre-Brawl Out run in AEW, he was the best part of the show and it wasn't even close.

Times have definitely changed. Eric Bischoff told a particularly disturbing story about the Steiners sexually assaulting a referee in the locker room - Bischoff just turned and walked out, whilst others were laughing. It was a pretty grim environment back then - no wonder so many wrestlers become born-again Christians. They probably have a lot they think they need to atone for. Nowadays it's obviously a different world, and even wrestling companies have staggered out of the dark ages somewhat in regards to basic HR and worker safety.

Most of the complaints about Punk just come off as people being whiny, honestly. It's obvious Punk can be, and generally is, an arse to most people. For the most part it's just words or him not wanting to talk to them, though. Just ignore him and forget about it. Since Brawl Out it's been escalating into more physical confrontations though, and I think that's where things have shifted into uncomfortable territory in modern day. Punk also managed to take aim at all of the EVPs and the owner, which is a fight - physical or otherwise - you ain't gonna win, regardless of whether he was more than just talent at the company. Whilst you hear a lot of stories about wrestlers fighting each other in the past, you don't hear many about wrestlers attacking the boss or the equivalent of EVPs and getting away with it. I think in any era that's going to land you in trouble at a major company.

Ultimately, Punk sat at a press conference last year and turned it into a circus. He embarrassed the company, emasculated the owner, sitting beside him, and triggered a situation which escalated to a physical confrontation in front of an AEW legal executive which led to multiple suspensions and total chaos in the next few weeks as storylines and even titles vanished into thin air. His punishment? Given his own show upon his return where he was allowed to ban whoever he wanted from showing up. Allowed to cut unscripted promos on people who couldn't or wouldn't respond. Given free reign to walk around backstage confronting people as he saw fit. No wonder he felt invincible - rather than get punished for his behaviour, he was handsomely rewarded for it! Khan has to take a huge amount of blame for the ridiculous way that situation was handled. Warner/Discovery too, as despite knowing full well what had happened they pushed for Punk to be the face of Collision. They have blood on their hands in this situation too. They prioritised money and ratings over the wellbeing of AEW talent, and shame on them for that. I think with Khan it was more just being a massive Punk mark and fanboy, rather than greed. He's probably genuinely heartbroken over what happened.

I think I remember the Steiners' story. Was that the one where they were putting a pencil up the ref's ass? That's absolutely brutal hazing. Also not surprising. The Steiner's were legitimate tough guys and loved to throw their weight around. Rick especially was said to have been a pretty serious bully. If you pulled that shit these days, you'd end up on a list and have to let your neighbors know about said list. Supposedly JBL used to corner new guys in the shower and rub soap on them and see if they freaked out. That old school fraternity style hazing just doesn't fly anymore. Those are just two examples of many as well. The ring boy incidents in the 80s, the countless fucked up things Moolah did, not to mention the Speaking Out movement was not kind to pro wrestling in general. Hell, WWE has active wrestlers right now who were accused of some messed up shit, namely Joe Coffey, Jordan Devlin and Matt Riddle. Oh and Vince McMahon who is probably the worst offender in the entire company. If people really think he didn't use his influence and power to pull some shady shit like that, they're out of their minds. Even Michael Hayes was accused of this stuff.

Vince is undoubtedly in the same group as the absolute worst offenders.

Fact is you're right, compared to incidents back in the day. Punk's recent stuff is nothing - and I certainly don't think he should be vilified for it. The guy needs therapy, I think that much is clear, but he's also very progressive in his general views and not some kind of bigot or sexual abuser. There are far more people active in wrestling now who have done more heinous stuff than Punk could ever manage. Granted there are those stories he told about the girl he abused along with Colt Cobana in the early 2000s, but in terms of his recent actions anyway.

Part of the reason I have so much respect for the likes of Mick Foley is that, in an industry full of sharks and despicable human beings, he seems to have stayed true to himself and been one of the very few genuinely good guys. There aren't many of them.

There are certainly people on Punk's side of things. This is really just a communication breakdown I believe. I saw that there were very loud CM Punk chants in India last night. I'm sure we can expect the same at Survivor Series. I really hope he does end up back at WWE at this point just to see him give everyone the middle finger. If WWE thinks they can make money with him and let's be honest, they could, it could happen. Is it likely? Not at all. But I always go back to the Bret Harts and Ultimate Warriors and everyone else that was "blacklisted" who came back. As you said, it could just be for a HOF induction, but that's usually what ends up repairing the burned bridge. I think Punk is still passionate about wrestling and I do believe he still has something to offer, he just needs to get his shit worked out.

The rumor of the day is that the Bucks told people that if CM Punk could go 6 months without any incidents, they would sit down and discuss the possibility of working together. Obviously that didn't happen. What nobody seems to be talking about is that Jack Perry was suspended indefinitely. That's a pretty serious thing. I can't fault Perry for looking into the camera and saying what he said. Was it immature? Yeah. Is it something that Punk would've done in Jack Perry's shoes? Yeah. He's already shown that he no problem taking shots at people when he isn't supposed to. He just doesn't like when people do it to him.

Mick Foley is definitely a good guy. If reports come out of him harassing somebody, there is no hope for pro wrestling because he's damn near at the bottom of the list of people in the wrestling business that you would expect that from. To be honest, wrestling is one of the last businesses I would choose if I were female. It has gotten a lot better in recent years, but I'm sure some of that bad stuff still happens. I remember reading about guys walking into the female locker rooms during the attitude era and shit like that. You would hope that doesn't fly today.

I'm a bit torn on the Elite's decision to completely ignore Punk since his return. I completely understand their POV, that they simply want nothing to do with him after Brawl Out and don't see reconciliation as possible in the immediate term. It was a pretty nasty situation and considering Punk's very first promo contained no contrition over his actions, I can see why they'd assume he had no remorse over how he behaved and therefore wanted nothing to do with him. From their perspective Punk turned a unified company into a divided one.

On the other hand, that behaviour probably contributed to Punk's increasing aggression and need to assert himself backstage. If they had sat down with him and hashed things out - even if it was a case of 'we all move on, but don't work together' - that may have eased Punk's mindset and made him less of a dick backstage. It's possible that nothing would have changed either way, but I get the feeling Punk's insecurity stemmed from the feeling a lot of the talent didn't really want him there, and if he'd been able to sit down and make peace with the Elite it may have made him feel more secure. There was never a clean slate, the issues from a year previous continued to linger and poison his view of the working environment. Arguably one of the conditions of both Punk and the Elite returning should have been some kind of reconciliation, even if only on a surface level. Bringing Punk back with none of those issues resolved was arguably doing nothing beyond creating a ticking timebomb.

As far as being a female in wrestling, yeah, it sounds like a pretty harsh environment. Even more so in the 90s and 00s, but the MeToo movement showed a lot of misogny and abuse was rampant up until very recently. I always hated Joey Ryan's gimmick and couldn't believe people were cool with it. It was no surprise to me when he was outed as being a piece of shit. The 'penis druids' thing at the inaugural All In was the one major blemish on that event for me. It's cut from releases of the event these days, but I'm still incredulous that anyone at the time thought it was a good idea. Another problem is that wrestling seems to attract a lot of women with daddy issues, or women who are just insecure/broken/vulnerable in general. They become easy targets in a wrestling environment. Obviously not all women in the industry fall into that category, but from what I've read a lot of them do. I think it goes for the men as well, when it comes to insecurity, but the men don't have such a direct threat of sexual or emotional abuse.

Put it this way, I wouldn't want any of the women in my life going into the wrestling industry in any capacity. But then none of the women in my life have any interest in having instagram profiles where they're showing off their bodies to random guys, OnlyFans accounts doing the same, and so on. I'm not judging that, it's a you do you kinda thing, but I can't say I'd be comfortable with my girlfriend doing something like that - in the same way I'm sure she wouldn't be comfortable with me doing that, not that anyone would be looking 😂 it just seems to be a prerequisite of being a female wrestler today, that you have to have accounts showing your body off to thirsty dudes. Feels like in a lot of ways it puts paid to the notion that things have really progressed in any significant way when it comes to how women are viewed and expected to portray themselves in wrestling. You don't get the same thing in other professions - some women's athletes, but it's nowhere near as common as it is in wrestling. Even the interviewers and ring announcers do it.

Last edited:
I think of the Instagram and OnlyFans stuff as this era's version of implants. Back in the day, all of the 'divas' had to look like ridiculous bimbos if they wanted a shot. The OnlyFans thing I can sort of understand because I think they make damn good money doing it. Somebody like Mandy Rose for instance who refused to delete hers and let it cost her her job because she made more on OnlyFans than she did in WWE is a telling example. Somebody on r/sc posted hypothetical figures based on her subscriber count and the money was ridiculous. I've seen reports that there are OnlyFans models who take home 1 million+ per MONTH. Those are extreme cases and obviously not everyone is making that kind of money. But you have to imagine Mandy Rose had a decent enough contract in WWE, so if she was comfortable letting her OF get her fired, she must be doing ok. Hell, if I looked like Mandy Rose (and was female, obviously) and I could make thousands and thousands of dollars a month for staying home and taking pictures of myself, I'd do it.

Agreed about how things were handled when Punk came back. It feels like Tony Khan was so desperate to have him back that he just brought him back at any cost. A sit down meeting where everyone could get on the same page seemed to be in order. Sometimes that middle man needs to be the one to set everyone straight. The boss should be telling his guys "look, we need you to get your shit together and work. You don't have to like each other, you don't HAVE to work directly together, but bury the hatchet and be civil to one another in the locker room." Get along to go along as it were. I absolutely understand that there are different personalities and when people feel wronged, they may not respond the same as someone else. But figure it out. There should always be a path forward that at least somewhat works for everyone. I don't think splitting them up and trying to keep them on separate shows was ever the right answer. It's just avoidance.

On a lighter note, it's nice to see Mike Tenay and Don West inducted into the Impact HoF. They had their critics as far as their commentary was concerned, and at times I was one of them, but they were the JR/King of Impact and deserve the recognition. Just a shame Don isn't here to accept the award.

I've always been a big Mike Tenay fan. I used to love when he had guest spots on commentary on Nitro and then even becoming a more permanent fixture. His knowledge of wrestling is unparalleled by most.

I loved Tenay as an analyst in WCW, he actually tried to bring some crredibility and knowledge to the matches with international wrestlers instead of just droning on about Hogan or the nWo.

In TNA I have mixed feelings. I'm not sure if he was suited to the main play-by-play role. At times his reactions sounded really forced, and his facial expressions could be a bit OTT as well. It's not that he did a bad job, just that at times he bothered me. I think part of it might have been because I was so used to him being a supplementary commentator in WCW, rather than the main guy.

Regardless, Tenay and West gave us the below gem of a segment, which was hilariously awesome:

I love how West corpses pretty much instantly when he talks about Tenay kissing Sting's ass :rofl: some of the quotes are just amazing as well.

"You heard me, why don't you go in the back man, ask Sting to pull his pants down and plant one on him too."

"I've been to your house, you've been to my house... several times."

"Our WIVES are best friends!"

"You can take this microphone and shove it up your ass."

Lmao, legendary promo.... between two commentators. Good old TNA.

That is a pretty funny promo. Besides the really early days of TNA, I didn't watch much of it at all. I did enjoy the six sided ring though.