circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Lilitu – The Delores Lesion
The End Records – 2004
By Jason Jordan

lilitu.jpg

Our friends in The End Records have an interesting roster for us metallers to sift through. On the one hand, The End have a slew of endearing acts that are truly pushing the envelope such as Age of Silence, Agalloch, Arcturus, Frantic Bleep, and Virgin Black. On the other hand, however, there are those signees that are bumbling about while creating stale music in the process such as Crisis and Green Carnation. As an aside, I haven’t enjoyed the latter since the stellar Light of Day, Day of Darkness. Lilitu, to continue, seemingly tread the line between the spectacular and the not-so-spectacular.

The Delores Lesion clocks in at barely over thirty five minutes, which is a little short for a full-length, but perhaps that’s just nit-picking. What is pleasant, though, are the sounds of “Only the End of the World Again.” Lilitu enjoy blending electronic elements, gruff vocals, and miscellaneous items to create a full-bodied assault. Wait, it’s not so much an assault as it is a presentation. Again, as mentioned earlier, this doesn’t break the metal mold; it actually parallels the latter. “Even the Vultures Have Moved On (A Tragic Love Story)” commences with a structure based deeply on synthesizers that drop out, and then reappear when appropriate. The vocalizations can be reasonably compared to any growler out there. The clean vox, however, are a little different than average. Regardless of the differentiation aspect, the vox are well done. Noticeable influences? Dark Tranquillity come to mind at times, as does some of the less avant-garde acts on The End. “The Delores Lesion” starts much differently than prior compositions: soft music with spoken, female vocals. The music does ascend/descend into the heavier spectrum, which is reminiscent of the slower melodeath sound that bands are so fond of using these days. “Ether” continues the trend set by “The Delores Lesion,” but it’s merely a minute and a half long. “Desolation Breeds” has a great introduction, “Dark-Haired Girl” is beautifully serene, and “Fragments of My Reflection” is basically an amalgamation of all the styles realized on The Delores Lesion.

If you’re like me, you expect nothing less than greatness from The End. Lilitu really can’t be confined to that particular group; but, The Delores Lesion is good in spite of my criticisms. In short, was it worth the $2 I spent on it? Yup.

7.5/10

Official Lilitu website
Official The End Records website

Pretty good review, mirroring my own sentiments. This is a good band but they dabble in styles I usually don't care for that much. Definitely one of the "saddest" sounding albums :cry: ...in terms of emotion, not actual sound quality, I hasten to point out!

Sorry if i'm being stupid/deaf/crazy, but exactly what about Lilitu sounds like Dark Tranquillity? I've heard both The Delores lesion and The earth gods several times, and i can't find a single thing that sounds like it was influenced by DT.

Influences aren't always direct. That's all I've got to say about that! If Jason hears a similarity, I'm sure it is there. :)

Har har, I was wondering who had bumped this :) All I can say without hearing it is the same as Oinkness, but I'll check it out later and give you a more difinitive answer.

Ah sorry alex. :(. They short keyboard segments is similar to stuff off of Haven. Especially the intro to "Fragments of Belief" or whatever it's called. I agree with the score, though it would be much higher if the vocals were up to par, as with the guitar. Did that Insomnium come in yet?

'Tis ok.

*listens to Fragments of my reflection* Not really similar to Haven stuff to me, but i'm the only person i know who doesn't consider DT and Lilitu similar in any way, so it's probably me.

I consider the vocals to be superb, but that's just me.

The Insomnium cd hasn't arrived yet. I might e-mail them one of these days if i get fed up, but i'm used to things not arriving in the mail as soon as i'd like to, so i'll give them some more time.