Line 6 Helix - pod replacement

Do you use it as your recording interface? If so, having cables running across the floor doesn't bother you?
Also, I'd be interested to hear the reamping capabilities of this, and if there's any gotchas? Thanks.
I don't use it as a recording interface. Also it's setup in a way that is right below my desk and all the cables run behind it so I really don't have many noticeable cables all over the place. It does has reamping capabilities but I haven't used them. I reamp out from my saffire and just back into the input of the Helix.

Have any clips Eric? I've been thinking of trying to get the rack unit. And I love TSE X50 but if it can really get better tones then i'd be sold.

Have any clips Eric? I've been thinking of trying to get the rack unit. And I love TSE X50 but if it can really get better tones then i'd be sold.

Yes I have clips on my soundcloud page. I did an amp sim comparison using the Helix, Pod HD, TSE X50v2 and Thermionik. I used the same IR and same settings on all comparisons Not do I only like the tone better, but it feels a lot better to play IMO.

I've been able to get better tones than this since then since I made that comparison right after I first got my Helix.

Yes I have clips on my soundcloud page. I did an amp sim comparison using the Helix, Pod HD, TSE X50v2 and Thermionik. I used the same IR and same settings on all comparisons Not do I only like the tone better, but it feels a lot better to play IMO.

I've been able to get better tones than this since then since I made that comparison right after I first got my Helix.

Very nice. I'm really digging the tones.

I'm impressed with the Helix clips - although not the one with the stock cab! But, as everyone likely has their go-to IRs, that shouldn't be a problem!

So is this worth the extra $1000? Line 6 POD HD Pro are now in the low $500 range. My only concern is what the future for the POD HD Pro is (will line 6 drop it and stay only with the Helix?) Or are these two products for different type of audiences?

Last edited:
Everything I've heard from the Helix has made it sound only marginally better than the HD Pro. It still has that too-tight, scooped, fizzy, tone on everything. If you're shelling out that kind of cash for an amp sim, just get a used Axe FX or something. The HD Pro is many years old now and Line 6 has been shitting on its user base for some time- I used to have one and got sick of it. For years people asked for a fucking 5150 sim, then they made a shitty one based on the POD Farm model and charged $25 for it in a pack. Line 6 is the worst.

Everything I've heard from the Helix has made it sound only marginally better than the HD Pro. It still has that too-tight, scooped, fizzy, tone on everything. If you're shelling out that kind of cash for an amp sim, just get a used Axe FX or something. The HD Pro is many years old now and Line 6 has been shitting on its user base for some time- I used to have one and got sick of it. For years people asked for a fucking 5150 sim, then they made a shitty one based on the POD Farm model and charged $25 for it in a pack. Line 6 is the worst.

That's not my experience with it at all. I've had it for a little over a week now, and I started getting great high-gain tones pretty much instantly.

Here's a clip featuring the 5150 model:

Factory cabs too, in case you were wondering.

Reactions: Ericlingus
That's not my experience with it at all. I've had it for a little over a week now, and I started getting great high-gain tones pretty much instantly.

Here's a clip featuring the 5150 model:

Factory cabs too, in case you were wondering.

Sounds like the POD HD500X.

I've noticed a huge difference between the Pod HD and Helix. Not only does the Helix sound much better, it feels way better aswell IMO.

I think the cab has a lot to do with it,you should run the same DI through the same amp with a different IR.
IRs definitely help IMO. I tried running the Pod HD 5150 and the Helix 5150 through the same IR and the Helix sounded a lot better (and felt way better) to me. I do still use the Helix's stock cabs though for some stuff.

I think the cab has a lot to do with it,you should run the same DI through the same amp with a different IR.

Sure, and I use Ownhammer IRs for a number of other amps and patches. I just think the 5150 is well matched with this combo, and the HD500 only had a "Uber" cab model which supposedly incorporated both speakers, and it didn't have a Heil PR30 mic option, nor the option to move it further away, as I did. Like I said...I've had a Pod HD before, and there was no cab I got to sound like that.

No biggie. Just a matter of taste. I quick recorded it, so there is no DI, but it's easy enough to go back in and chug chug with an all-OH assortment of guitar tones. Point is I love the Helix. This nonsense about it only being capable of "scooped" or "fizzy" or "sterile" tone is just that.

Here's another clip of guitar only I did that is all Ownhammer IRs:

Now, you tell me that sounds like a HD500, and I got nothing else to say.

Sure, and I use Ownhammer IRs for a number of other amps and patches. I just think the 5150 is well matched with this combo, and the HD500 only had a "Uber" cab model which supposedly incorporated both speakers, and it didn't have a Heil PR30 mic option, nor the option to move it further away, as I did. Like I said...I've had a Pod HD before, and there was no cab I got to sound like that.

No biggie. Just a matter of taste. I quick recorded it, so there is no DI, but it's easy enough to go back in and chug chug with an all-OH assortment of guitar tones. Point is I love the Helix. This nonsense about it only being capable of "scooped" or "fizzy" or "sterile" tone is just that.

Here's another clip of guitar only I did that is all Ownhammer IRs:

Now, you tell me that sounds like a HD500, and I got nothing else to say.

That one sounds pretty good.