List 5 best rythmguitar productions

metalizer

www.transparent-metal.com
Mar 11, 2005
Denmark
www.transparent-metal.com
We have had best productions and best drumsound and this week it is the five best rythmguitar productions ever!

1. : Fear factory : obsolete : oh my fucking god this is heavy
2. : Testament : The gathering : this is the way thrash was supposed to sound and it still rips everytime i hear it (which is atleast a couple of times a week)
3. : Nevermore. : Dead heart in a dead world : everything sounds so great it´s hard to name one reason why this is so fucking brilliant
4. : Pantera. : far byond driven : in my book that album defined how metal was supposed to sound for the 90´s and byond( anyone who loves the guitarsound on this album should checkout Nevermore´s Politics of ecstasy which in my ears sounds very similar to the :headbang: (guitar)sound on far byond driven).
5. : Carcass: Heartwork : This one still holds up today it was so much ahead of it´s time. A real crunshy and yet melodic guitarsound that totally rocks

In no particular order:

1. Nevermore "Dead Heart in a Dead World" - The guitar sound that wet dreams are made of.
2. Freak Kitchen "Move" - Absolutely fuckin' huge sounding guitars.
3. John Petrucci "Suspended Animation" - Supremely tight rhythm sound.
4. Evergrey "The Inner Circle" - Grabs you by the balls when the rhythm guitars come in and doesn't let go.
5. Megadeth "Countdown to Extinction" - Razor sharp.

In no particular order-

1) syl- alien (tight as hell playing and tone, modern without to much gain)
2) meshuggah- catch33 (great pod tone, very fitting for the band)
3) Fear factory- demanufacture (ahhhh lovely, nuff said)
4) Skinlab- dtnf (classic andy, but with a bit less midrange than usual)

1) Arch Enemy - Anthems Of Rebellion
2) Evergrey - The Inner Circle
3) Annihilator - Carnival Diablos
4) Testament - First Strike STILL Deadly
5) Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned

1) Metallica-Black Album
Rhythm tone begins and ends here, as far as I'm concerned. The big, round, tight smoothness of this sound has never been touched by anything I've heard. Has been my favorite guitar tone for as long as I've been into guitar, and has taken on a bit of a mythical quality in my mind (yeah, I'm weird). Fairly complicated stuff; at least 4 cabinets, something like 8 mics, the preamp of one head run into the power section of another, a second preamp factoring into the sound in some way, etc. The guitars are a bit quiet in the mix, but that was definitely a "vocals and drums up front" album.

2) Exodus-Tempo of the Damned
The only album to really come close to #1 in my mind. Again, unbelievably tight and smooth. You can definitely hear that signature Marshall brightness. Manages to be old-school and a bit modern at the same time, i.e. it doesn't sound totally scooped and dated. "Tempo" is the best-sounding thrash album of all time; incredible job, Andy. Absolutely crushing.

3) Andy's Krank Samples
Seriously. I know that sounds silly, since they were just MP3s and not an album, but I haven't stopped listening to them since. Smooth. Tight. Detecting a pattern here? I've found that a lot of the more modern sounds with a nice midrange presence tend to be a bit more loose, uncontrolled and scratchy sounding. This manages to sound smooth and tight, yet have a nice midrange and modern edge all at the same time. Amazing. I'm seriously considering getting that Krank Revolution head because of these clips and what Andy said about it. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it $$-wise (i.e. what to sell). ;)

4) Pantera-Far Beyond Driven
This spot could really have gone to either of the previous two Pantera albums as well, but I think FBD was probably the roundest and smoothest of the three. Dimebag really did set a new standard for Metal rhythm guitar tones in the '90s. Obviously we've all heard a lot of stuff like that said lately because of his death, but it's absolutely true. He took it somewhere different, and had one of the few tones you could hear two seconds of and instantly know who it was. Big, fat tone on this album for sure.

5) Dream Theater-Awake
One of my favorite albums, period, and the rhythm sound was great. John used a combination of a bunch of amps on this, and I believe most of the rhythm tracks were two tracks of Mark IIC+ and two tracks of Dual Rectifier. His lead sound (on all albums) is absolutely second to none, but that's not what this list is about. You could probably interchange "Scenes From a Memory" here, as the tone on that was killer as well.

here's my list

INFLAMES-clayman , very tight but midrangy tone(gotta love 5150's)
MESHUGGA- chaosphere, thordenol is my hero !!
AMON AMARTH-the crusher,the avenger- they have that larger than life giant rythem section
HYPOCRISY-hypocrisy, i know tatgren gets alot of shit for his over compressed guitar sound but i love it !!! his playing is in the same giant sound realm of amon amarth ..everything just sounds huge
NEVERMORE-dead heart in a dead world, The heart collector and narcosythesis are two of my all time favorite nevermore songs! the tightest rythem section in existence in my ears

Honerable mention would have to go to FEARFACTORY...i would have given obsolete or demanufacture a spot if the guitars were actually played in real time. I like dinos playing but i dont like the fact that he tracked his guitars thru a sequencer by cutting and pasting everything...call me an ass but to me thats not an accurate dipiction of being a tight player..........allthough they did sound awesome and tight as hell live

Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Machine Head - Through The Ashes of Empires
Carcass - Heartwork

In no particular order:

Anthrax - Spreading the disease + Among The Living
Meshuggah - Destroy, Erase, Improve
Exodus - Impact is Imminent
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead
Motley Crue - Morley Crue

Matt Smith said:
1) Metallica-Black Album
Rhythm tone begins and ends here, as far as I'm concerned. The big, round, tight smoothness of this sound has never been touched by anything I've heard. Has been my favorite guitar tone for as long as I've been into guitar, and has taken on a bit of a mythical quality in my mind (yeah, I'm weird). Fairly complicated stuff; at least 4 cabinets, something like 8 mics, the preamp of one head run into the power section of another, a second preamp factoring into the sound in some way, etc. The guitars are a bit quiet in the mix, but that was definitely a "vocals and drums up front" album.

This gets my vote as well. The rhythm sound on that album isn't too complicated. James used a Mesa Mark IIC+ Head Unit in conjunction with an ADA MP-1 Preamp. They ran into two types of cabs...Marshall's and Mesa's, both with Vintage 30's. They did use up to 8 mic's, though only a few are heard on any given track as James describes most of them as being "useless." EMG 81 equipped solid body guitars, and 3 tracks of rhythm were used.

dino's guitars sequenced? don't think so :erk:

maybe copy and pasted on later albums but not 'sequenced'- is that even possible?

you can se him laying down rhythm guitars on the making of 'digimortal' and he can nail that shit.

silverwulf said:
This gets my vote as well. The rhythm sound on that album isn't too complicated. James used a Mesa Mark IIC+ Head Unit in conjunction with an ADA MP-1 Preamp. They ran into two types of cabs...Marshall's and Mesa's, both with Vintage 30's. They did use up to 8 mic's, though only a few are heard on any given track as James describes most of them as being "useless." EMG 81 equipped solid body guitars, and 3 tracks of rhythm were used.

that was the justice rig i thought man. I firmly dont believe an Mp1 could EVER sound like that. i'd like to read about it if you have a link. but seriously man.MP1? i dont believe it.

1. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Yeah, most prefer Black's rhythm sound, but to me MOP's is crushingly heavy and I really like it's tone. If only drums sounded better on that record it would be my fav 'tallika album sound...

2. Anthrax - State Of Euphoria
So precise and heavy, thrash sound at it's best.

3. Carcass - Necroticism
Again, most rave about Heartwork, but I can't get enough of this sound, it's probably the heaviest ever IMO.

4. Dream Theater - Awake / Met. pt.2
I totally agree with Matt on this one, Petrucci for sure knows how to get an amazing sound...

5. Slayer - Reign In Blood
While not as heavy and thick as with many of their thrash colleagues, this sound is so aggressive and distinct and those are two things I like about it the most, it's instantly recognizable and that's a rare quality.

silverwulf said:
That's actually wrong. It was Mesa used as a preamp before a JCM-800.

commandante said:
That's actually wrong. It was Mesa used as a preamp before a JCM-800.

Sorry to disappoint, but that's actually wrong...:) That was on Master of Puppet's only and also done on the Puppets tour. It was no longer used in that manner after that, instead using the Mesa Mark IIC+ only and in live situations slaving the head into Mesa Strategy 400 Power Amp's to power multiple cabs.

Kazrog said:
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Machine Head - Through The Ashes of Empires
Carcass - Heartwork

Well that was easy.. You picked my 5 favorite for me. Thanks. :D

*honorable mention* Crowbar, the self titled album. HEAVY TONE.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

Metallica-Black Album. Too bad the same guy that got those remarkable tones also helped usher them into irrelevance. Damn you, Bob Rock!
Behemoth-Demigod. I love the mid crunch on these guitars and how they're heavy enough, but not so full sounding that they make the drums sound like one of those toy monkey drumkits.
Kataklysm-Serenity in Fire. Analog guiter tone!!! It's a shame the drums are so damn loud on this thing because I love this guitar tone.
Machine Head-Ashes or Burn My Eyes. That tone just jumps out of the speakers without stepping on anything else. Maybe just a hair too bright for me but, goddam, that is a ridiculous tone.
Morbid Angel-Gateways. I love the ratty mid range overtones on this album. Too bad it's coupled with one of the most atrocious drum tones ever released.

I'm finally gonna give DHIADW a listen again. I didn't like the songwriting on it too much and never bought it. It might be a good purchase just for the recording.

jamesboyd said:
dino's guitars sequenced? don't think so :erk:

maybe copy and pasted on later albums but not 'sequenced'- is that even possible?

you can se him laying down rhythm guitars on the making of 'digimortal' and he can nail that shit.

Im not saying that dino isnt a tight rythem player, man. im saying that on obsolete you can definately notice that his guitars were tracked and sequenced(yes you can sequence rythem guitars in short wavs) (think industrial music)...soul of a new machine really showcases his tight as hell wrist ..i stand corrected about demanufacture...that was recorded in realtime
a good example of sequenced rythem can be heard on three days grace' latest album..........i hate that music by the way but you can definately hear how the rythem guitars were recorded to be sampled(no pickstrokes or naturalness to it )

My top five would probably be, in no particular order:
Testament - First Strike Still Deadly
Necrophagist - Epitaph
Carcass - Heartwork
Macabre - Murder Metal
The Black Mages - The Black Mages (If any of you like the Final Fantasy music, this is Nobuo Uematsu's band where he covers the songs. KILLER production!)

preludetotorment said:
Im not saying that dino isnt a tight rythem player, man. im saying that on obsolete you can definately notice that his guitars were tracked and sequenced(yes you can sequence rythem guitars in short wavs) (think industrial music)...soul of a new machine really showcases his tight as hell wrist ..i stand corrected about demanufacture...that was recorded in realtime
a good example of sequenced rythem can be heard on three days grace' latest album..........i hate that music by the way but you can definately hear how the rythem guitars were recorded to be sampled(no pickstrokes or naturalness to it )

I remember reading somewhere (I think it was Modern Drummer in an interview with Raymond Herrera) that one riff was played absolutely perfect, and then copied and pasted as many times as neccessary, because they wanted to go for a more mechanical sound.