list your pres

Cool man, I've heard the phrase 'good on absolutely everything' being thrown around when people talk about api. True from your experience with it? I'm intersted in pairing a good pre with an Audient black series compressor for vocals...

Yep thats about right!! Punchy, forward and Clear, not as coloured as a TG2 so would compliment your audient nicely.

The only thing its NOT great on is very loud condensors on very Loud sources, I.e Nt5s on overheads; the lack of an output trim means that to avoid clipping your converter on some sources you may need an in line attenuator, but to be honest i use things with stepped inputs on OHS anyway.

Whats the black compressor like? from my experience with DDA gear and to a lesser extent Audient, im going to assume its clean but still musical?
Personally id go for an 1176 or distressor for a comp for vocals, but i love them... maybe a little too much.

Yep thats about right!! Punchy, forward and Clear, not as coloured as a TG2 so would compliment your audient nicely.

The only thing its NOT great on is very loud condensors on very Loud sources, I.e Nt5s on overheads; the lack of an output trim means that to avoid clipping your converter on some sources you may need an in line attenuator, but to be honest i use things with stepped inputs on OHS anyway.

Whats the black compressor like? from my experience with DDA gear and to a lesser extent Audient, im going to assume its clean but still musical?
Personally id go for an 1176 or distressor for a comp for vocals, but i love them... maybe a little too much.

stepped inputs? pfft thats what i want

what pre's are you running your overheads into

Hey man, how does your MPA gold stack up against your GA73 and API? I'm thinking of getting one soon with a tube upgrade.

I bought the GAP73 and the API A2D recently and i've only been using the API A2D trough SPDIF to record the Guitars DI (radial J48) while monitoring trough a software AMP for latter reamping, in this case comparing to tracking trough the Saffire PREs and AD converter i noticed a gain in clarity and definition.

The GAP73 i have just tested briefely with a mic and Bass and liked the sound very much, a very full and detailed sound. It does distort a bit when i lower the output gain and push the input to give more color wich is something that will hardly happen with the A2D, i can give it insane amounts of gain and it just doesn't distort, but there are also tons of gain in the GAP anyway.

I didn't have the time to directly compare any of them to the ART MPA yet but i can say the MPA is a very nice Pre for the price, mine was a bit noisy stock but after the tube change it got lot better. It's very versatile because it has variable inpedance for the MIC input and you can actually get diferent kind of sounds trough it.

If you need only one channel the GAP i think is more "solid" in sound, if you need two the MPA after a tube change will not let you down also. And of course if you have the money API is always API, the only problem i had with mine is that it captured a lot of electrical interferences from a UPS i had below the Rack, i had to move the UPS to another room.

Yep - supposed to be super clean and in overcomp mode its got an 1176 all buttons vibe. Sounds intense considering they can be picked up for £250 and I think it would always have a use even when I decide to pick up something like an 1176...

stepped inputs? pfft thats what i want

what pre's are you running your overheads into

these have stepped inputs, and are the most absolutely pristine preamps i've ever had the pleasure of hearing...

m801-large.jpg

neve 1073s are also stepped input, and so i'm guessing the likes of vintechs and all that are as well

Prism Orpheus (interface + 8 pres ;)), Chandler TG-2, five API 512, and a lot of handbuilt stuff.

stepped inputs o_0? whatsat mean?

it means the knobs are indented, so that each "click" adds a certain amount of gain, as opposed to those that have a continuous pot

not something i prefer all the time, but it's pretty sweet for stereo recordings where you want both channels to be at the same level

Also useful for heavy studio smokers (such as the OP :D), cuz there's less potential for the dreaded scratchy pots

002r (soon to have the black lion audio signature mod)
presonus firepod
behringer ultragain pro-8 (used only for triggers)

I was tempted to go for black lion mod for my 003 but I checked out a ton of tests/polls and the difference between the stock and modded pres was negligible. I'd advise you to check them out too - theres some threads on gearslutz and on the DUC if I remember correctly...

That's just the built in pres though. If you're planning on using great pres into the line ins on your 002, I couldn't comment on the difference due to the AD convertor upgrade but I'd be interested in hearing the difference!