Listening to St. Anger

You know the thing about Metallica was that they did something unique with RtL, MoP and AJFA. They were technical, progressive thrash. After AJFA, they became a different monster. THe songs became less heavy and less complex. I actually thought the S/T release was fair, but it didn't capture my attention like the three others I mentioned. I would be highly surprised if they ever make it back to the band they once were.
They may actually WANT to make the next follow-up to MOP or AJFA, but I don't know if they are capable.

Bryant

If you liked "The Song That Doesn't Finish," (yes, it's a cheap shot at the song - it's good, but it doesn't sound complete) you should probably check out the new single, "My Apocalypse." :OMG: I may have had my faith restored that the band could come out with a great album again.

I just downloaded 'My Apocalypse' 5:00 of pure old school thrash. In a way they try to sound like new bands that in time like to sound like old bands (Fueled by Fire, Evile), so I say they sound like followers when once they led. But it's commendable that they really came with a thrash song, and I mean thrash probably the first they wrote since 'Dyers Eve'. This may be the song that saves the album, I won't cross my fingers but now I'm interested in listening to the whole thing.

I think I might have to go see a doctor .... I have this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach :puke:.... and its not the sick puking bile feeling ... I think .... it just may be some excitement ...:OMG: for a fucking new Metallica album ... weird :loco:

Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars, so it must be good...
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/22723926/review/22787142/death_magnetic

...since Rolling Stone is always right on the money. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm downloading the whole album now (fuck you Lar$), I'll give my impressions later.

P.S. Alright, I'm listening to it so here it goes:

'That Was Just Your Life' = pure thrash, it could have came in AJFA
'The End Of The Line' = pretty thrash too, with a small downtempo part
'Broken, Beat & Scarred' = more average metal, nothing astounding, but metal nevertheless
'The Day That Never Comes' = their attempt to do another 'Fade To Black'or 'One', it's metal but it comes short regarding the previous songs, it has its moments tho.
'All Nightmare Long' = so-so, it's thrashy but has its weak moments
'Cyanide' = well it's metal, but it's also generic and kinda boring more like something for "Metallica" (the black album)
'The Unforgiven III' = piano and strings? This can't be good isn't it? Another attempt to have a ballad or something like it, sounds like a bad cover of a commercial song definitively a stain.
'The Judas Kiss' = back to the thrash vibe but also kind of generic more for "Metallica"
'Suicide & Redemption' = at 9:57 it's the longest song of the album, an instrumental that cannot live to the glory of 'Orion'. A filler the album could do without it.
'My Apocalypse' = the thrashier of them all, aggressive and heavy, to me the best offering of the album, the closest to something out of MOP, but not completely.

The album is long, the shortest song is 'My Apocalypse' at 5:00. That may be detrimental for those looking for another 'Motorbreath', but at least it feels like the what the follow up to AJFA should have been. It's not groundbreaking and it's not the best new album in thrash of the year, but considering what they have done since 1988 it's DEFINITIVELY an improvement and worth to check it out (and even maybe buy it).

The world must be coming to an end. When Wyvern becomes a shill for Metallica, the apocalypse is at our doorstep. :lol:

I never meant run for it, but I have to recognize they have improved a lot since "Metallica" and subsequent crap. In a couple of months it may worth to get it on eBay cheap. I don't find myself paying full price for it, this album is not redemption enough :heh:

I had a listen too. Good, but not interesting enough to buy indeed. Well, I'm much more into the new Uriah Heep and AC/DC stuff now, they sound much more "fresh" to my ears.

Is this actually going to be a thrash album? If it is, what would that do for the "thrash resurgence?"

I've only heard "My Apocalypse." My thoughts: it's a respectable enough thrash song. It sounds like something that couldn't quite make the cut to get on MoP. Definitely the most impressive thing they've done in a long, looooong time. But that's not necessarily saying much.