Live shows

IMG_4389.jpeg
Gloryhammer at the Wiltern in LA.

Man, this was such a fun show. The new singer isn’t quite on the level of the old guy, but he’s good enough. Phenomenal energy and super entertaining stage presence. Excellent setlist. Only downside was a short set, as Alestorm were the headliners. Didn’t stay for them because it was a work night and I don’t think much of Alestorm.

IMG_4461.pngIMG_4463.png

Rhapsody of Fire at the Observatory in Santa Ana. Really great stage presence and vocalist Giacomo Voli does a fantastic job of engaging the crowd, even bringing a kid up on stage for one of the songs. Probably made that kid’s year. Wind Rose was really fun too. Hadn’t heard them before, but it was really catchy.

IMG_4398.jpeg
Sisters of Mercy at the Palladium in LA. This was the weakest of the three shows I’ve seen lately. You could barely hear Andrew Eldrich, and frankly, it felt like he was up there as a prop. Some of their older, more gothic songs we’re “modernized” and kind of lost their dark vibe. Still, there were some enjoyable moments, but I’ll probably skip next time they come to town.

IMG_4633.jpeg
Emperor and Mäleficentt at the YouTube Theater in Inglewood, CA.

First, this was my first time
At YouTube theater, and I’m not a fan. It’s really austere and boutique feeling. The sound system is very clean, which is nice, but it was not loud enough for a metal show. Also, I know all these concerts are overpriced, but $35 for parking and $19 for a beer is a new level. Most venues in LA charge about $20 to park and $10 for a beer. No merch tables either. Don’t know if that was a band choice or a venue choice, but I’m guessing the latter.

Mäleficentt were a band I wasn’t too familiar with beforehand, but they were solid raw black metal. Nothing innovative here (other than the vocalist occasionally using a conch shell as an instrument), but if you like raw black metal with classic second wave melodies and drum patterns, you’ll enjoy their show.

Emperor were excellent. The setlist was great. They played all but one song off Anthems and more than half of Nightside. Ihsahn’s voice sounds great, and the clean passages are actually better than on the albums, and the growls are still on point. I’ve been listening to them since I was sixteen and Anthems was the first black metal album I bought, so getting to hear them live was something I’ve been waiting for for decades.

Looks like Satan and Venom are coming to Portland in October! Not really sure how Venom will be live but I'm really fucking excited about Satan. The only other show I've been to since COVID was Ogre last year who played at a local music fest.

who.jpg

I've been indifferent to Obituary up to this point in my life and haven't seen them before, but sometimes I do see bands out of minor curiosity, especially if I dig the support act. Seen Psycroptic 3 times and they were great every time from what I can remember. Though my memories of the last 2 times which were in everyone's fav grimy Auckland basement venue are hazy.

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Just did this one last week:
Tour Poster.jpg

Killer line-up

Jungle Rot1.jpgMolder1.jpgPhobophilic1.jpgItems signed by Jungle Rot.jpgItems signed by Molder.jpgItem signed by Phobophilic.jpg

does anyone have recommendations for apps/websites that promote shows? I've been relying on bandsintown for quite some time, but it kind of sucks

Saw Napalm Death, Wormrot, Extortion and Remains the other week in Melbourne. A rare gig where every band ruled.

does anyone have recommendations for apps/websites that promote shows? I've been relying on bandsintown for quite some time, but it kind of sucks
Not that I know of. I still find out about most shows on Facebook. I'm connected to a nice amount of people/bands/venues/FB groups rather than overdoing it. Going to Feeds -> All gives a reverse chronological feed of practically all the posts from the past 24 hours for shit I actually follow. Even the posts that got no reaction. Whereas if you use FB normally you get far more bullshit & posts you've seen before inserted in there.

Reactions: rms
Caught another huge tour the other night: Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Gorguts, Blood Incantation. Absolutely killer line-up and show. Gorguts may have had the best sound of the night - Luc Lemay is an absolute professional. Their early material translates SO good to a live environment and they played an old school set (almost all from Considered Dead). Corpse was absolutely killer as well and had a nice varied setlist running the gamut from old to new. Songs from the new album sounded great - especially Summoned for Sacrifice. I was able to meet Erik Rutan, Corpsegrinder, Alex Webster, and Paul Mazurkiewicz as well as Luc Lemay, Hellhammer, and Morris from Blood Incantation. I was able to talk with Erik for about thirty minutes and had a great conversation with him and also with Hellhammer. Got a ton of stuff signed. More great Metal memories made.

Cannibal Corpse
Cannibal Corpse2.jpg

Gorguts
Gorguts.jpg

Blood Incantation
Blood Incantation.jpg

Signed stuff:
Items signed by CC.jpgItems signed by CC1.jpgItems signed by CC2.jpgItems signed by CC3.jpgItems signed by Gorguts (Luc Lemay).jpgItems signed by BI.jpgItems signed by Hellhammer.jpg

Went to two shows recently:

Beast in Black and Dance With the Dead at the Observatory in Santa Ana, CA
IMG_6094.jpeg
I had never heard Dance With the Dead prior to this show, but they were really fun. Instrumental synth-heavy music that has heavy metal elements as well as electronic elements. Has a bit of an 80s horror movie vibe. Crowd was super into it. I’ve gotten into them since the show, so this was a win.

IMG_6105.jpeg

This was my first time seeing Beast in Black live and they put on a really good show. Their energy was high throughout with lots of fan interaction and engagement. Yannis Papadipoulos sounded excellent, and the Observatory has crisp sound. The setlist was strong and they played most of their best songs, with a balance between their three albums.

Ne Obliviscaris and Beyond Creation at the Belasco in Los Angeles.

IMG_6194.jpeg

I had only been to this venue once before, and I was on the floor for Beyond Creation. The sound was poor. It was very muddy and I really couldn’t pick up much from the band. It’s a pity, because I really liked Beyond Creation’s last album and was looking forward to seeing them. I don’t think it was on the band as much as the acoustics of that venue.
IMG_6205.jpeg
I moved upstairs for Ne Obliviscaris and the sound quality was much better. This was a really compelling show. Between the interplay of the two vocalists, a captivating bass player, and of course the violin, there was constantly something to different to watch. They did a good mix of songs from their new album (4) and songs from their earlier works (5).

Works out to about AU$161 to see them in Auckland. I'll gladly pay that much to see Mr. Bungle play this shizz as thrash is too rare here. Unless I've forgotten some, only maybe 2 current NZ bands could provide such a thrashing time (Execrate and Skull Patrol). Others such as 3000AD and Deathnir are alright but not quite substitute material. edit: Skull Patrol just split up, fuck!

Not so fussed about Melvins as I've seen them 2× and the 1st was better.

Last edited:
Charles Dance Devil GIF by SYFY

Psycroptic is still more of my bag, but Obituary was good fun and all. Great start to what'll be a mad year of shows. As soon as I settle back in Auckland in a couple of weeks I oughta be grabbing tickets to about 5 different shows (none that look like they'll sell out by then). Then there's Rotting Christ, Unleash the Archers and several Australian bands to consider.

Reactions: SonOfNun
First I'd heard that Di'Anno was still trying to do his thing down under, lol. I saw him in 2009 & 2010 and he was hostile the 1st time and then seemed humble and unsure of himself the 2nd time in a much smaller venue.

PAUL DI’ANNO – Gig Review 16th January @ Amplifier Bar, Perth WA
He started with a smile on his dial, but it soon faded. Halfway into ‘Murders in The Rue Morgue’ he stopped the show. Admittedly the band was out of time, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw a show stopped because the song wasn’t perfect. Di’Anno had a rant at his drummer and complained he couldn’t hear himself. His lead guitarist then apologized on the microphone the band hadn’t rehearsed for the show at all. It was like Spinal Tap on steroids. Things eventually got going again, but between every song the frontman complained. It started with jetlag, being tired, the weather, the sound and his microphone. Paul wanted a cordless one so the lead wouldn’t get tangled in his wheelchair. This was actually a fair call, but not one to make mid-show. The wheelchair also copped the man-child’s wrath for being “f^%king uncomfortable”. Like a toddler throwing a toy from their highchair Di’Anno pulled a cushion he was sitting on and threw it on the stage.

Di’Anno’s favourite word contains four letters and begins with C – and just about everyone was in the firing line. The bloke at the sound desk was one, multiple punters literally begging him to keep playing – all shared the same word. One punter got told to call a cab or he was going home in an ambulance. It would almost have been funny if it wasn’t so sad. I wanted to follow the lead of a few others and just walk out, but morbid curiosity got the better of me and I stayed until the bitter end. Di’Anno was on a bizarre journey. Like the stages of grief, we saw the denial of it being anyone’s fault but his own. Next was expletive-ridden anger directed at a female punter near the front being told to “shut the f^%k up” and to either stop drinking, or drink more. It was hard to tell in his rambling rant. The bargaining started with a few songs from the end of the show, and although the sound guy was still a C – now came contrition, apologies, and the promise of a free show for when/if he returns. Depression is what we were all feeling and Di’Anno looked like a defeated man.

Myriad Drone
001 - Myriad Drone.jpg

Russian Circles
002 - Russian Circles.jpg

2nd time seeing Russian Circles and can report they're still killer live. Last time they brought Eagle Twin with them so my night had peaked early. Good to focus more on them this time. One of the post-metal bands that delivers plenty of headbanging moments rather than wasting an excessive amount of time on mellow atmosphere / long buildups.