Live shows

This was accidentally one of the coolest gig pics I've taken. Skull Patrol doing some synchronised thrashing:

muMlf4T.jpg

I finally got to see my dudes in Obituary a couple nights ago. Place was packed. The set ruled and they played the new song "The Wrong Time" which is killer. I met the Tardy bros, Trevor Peres, and Terry Butler after the show and got a bunch of stuff signed. Awesome experience.
Obituary (Albuquerque 2022) 6.jpg Obituary (Albuquerque 2022) 13.jpg Obituary (Albuquerque 2022) 20.jpg
Items signed at the Obituary show1.jpg

Someone else at the show recorded the new song:

Gatecreeper also played at the show with Obituary and I'm much more of a fan now than I was before. I had had their latest album but hadn't spent much time with it or been gripped by it yet. After they played some songs from it live it's really clicking with me. The live setting really brought out the groove in their music which I love.

Gatecreeper2.jpg

Skeletal Remains tonight was awesome fun. Tired myself out fairly quickly. Only the 2nd band from beyond these shores I've seen since the pandemic given Vader postponed. 2023 is looking tasty though.

Reactions: SonOfNun
What a weekend. I went to three shows (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). The first was Amon Amarth, Carcass, and Obituary. I hadn't seen Amon Amarth since 2006. They have gotten much bigger and so has their show. They had guys in medieval attire sword fighting on stage, etc. I watched a lot of the show from the side but when "Put Your Back Into the Oar" came on I pushed my way up near the front and joined the row pit which is one of the funnest things I've done at a show. Obituary was awesome again and I enjoyed Carcass, especially the stuff I knew from Necroticism. Would be cool to see them in a smaller venue.

Amon Amarth
Amon Amarth (Denver, 2022) 2.jpg
Amon Amarth (Denver, 2022) 4.jpg
When all the mead is gone...
Amon Amarth (Denver, 2022) 3.jpg
Carcass
Carcass (Denver 2022) 1.jpg
Obituary
Obituary (Denver 2022) 1.jpg

Saturday was one of my favorite musical experiences. Martin Lopez, former drummer of Opeth, has a new progressive metal band named Soen. My friend and I were VIPs at the show and spent an hour talking with the band. Martin signed all my Opeth CDs and he appreciated us and knowing the impact he had on us. I discovered Metal via Opeth at 16 with the Deliverance album and Martin was one of our first Metal heroes. Soen put on a great show.

Soen (Denver 2022) 3.jpg Soen (Denver 2022) 4.jpg
Items signed at the Soen show (Denver, 2022).jpg

Sunday was the night of the young guns as I saw Undeath, 200 Stab Wounds, and Phobophilic. Small venue was packed. Total riot. I was in the front row with stage divers everywhere headbanging away. Met all the band members and they were cool dudes and signed all my stuff. I came away from the show a much bigger fan of 200 Stab Wounds than before and also appreciate Phobophilic more as their stuff translates well live. All very good young bands.

Undeath
Undeath (Denver 2022) 1.jpg

200 Stab Wounds
200 Stab Wounds (Denver 2022) 1.jpg

Phobophilic
Phobophilic (Denver 2022) 1.jpg
Items signed at the Undeath, 200 Stab Wounds, and Phobophilic show.jpg

who.jpg

Cockney Rejects in Wellington last night. Great fun for a weeknight. 2nd time I'd seen them, with the 1st being a few months before the pandemic took over. They don't play any of the material that got them into Encyclopaedia Metallum, not that any of us really want/need them too - hah.

Also saw Mayhem the other week. I just liked that it was a rare chance for me to see a band from beyond these shores a 4th time. Good varied setlist and they were fun and all, but I still think the 1st time was the best - that venue in 2010 seemed to have a whole row of subwoofers and Attila's growls were shaking the floor. I probably won't bother to see them again unless the rest of the lineup is enticing. The big story of their tour was that 2 days earlier in Auckland, a couple of songs into their set a feral fan bit a photographer on the upper arm. Helping to maintain Mayhem's notoriety I guess...

Just got tickets for Death to All and Emperor :kickass: curious if they are only going to play songs from Anthems or if they just felt like naming the tour that… hopefully the latter

I'm thinking about that Death to All tour. Would complement the Left to Die show from last year pretty well and I haven't seen Suffocation since 2005-ish. Well, at least Terrance Hobbs and some dudes will be playing anyway.

I'm thinking about that Death to All tour. Would complement the Left to Die show from last year pretty well and I haven't seen Suffocation since 2005-ish. Well, at least Terrance Hobbs and some dudes will be playing anyway.

I had tickets to the Left to Die one but ended up giving them away because I was sick. Super bummed about that, so i'm determined to make up for that.

Do you remember the setlist? Pretty curious about it. Saw them last year.

They played Thrones of Blood, Jesus Wept, Breeding the Spawn, Catatonia, Effigy of the Forgotten, Funeral Inception, Pierced From Within, Bind Torture Kill, Liege of Inveracity, Infecting the Crypts, and I think Clarity Through Deprivation. Not in that order but I know they played those first 10 songs.

This week I finally saw the Sacred Reich/Vio-Lence tour that was postponed since 2020. Not bands I listen to, but knew it'd be worth seeing when we don't get many thrash bands visiting here. Vio-Lence in particular was great fast thrash fun and I enjoyed them more of the two. Found out later that vocalist Sean had gotten a stomach bug and been unable to perform 3 nights earlier in Melbourne (with a guest filling in), but luckily he was good to go here in Wellington. Maybe he's a bit too grating to listen to at home but at a concert I had no issue. :D

Also caught a visit from Aussie crust punk band Szkło recently.

The triple Polish pulverisation of Vader/Hate/Thy Disease last weekend was killer. Wasn't converted to a fan of the latter 2 bands but fun enough that I'd consider seeing 'em again if they decided to make that freakin' long journey here.

This weekend it was a couple of nights with a few Aussie-based black/war metal projects, though all founded by NZers. Vesicant was a good time. Now it's just local bands in my calendar... oh, The Exploited is coming back so maybe I'll go to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: zerostatic
Seeing Dream Theater and Devin Townsend on the 18th, in Sugar Land (where I grew up; city right outside of Houston). My woman bought tickets. More interested in Devin and hope he plays the early to mid career stuff. She will enjoy it, as it's metal-lite.....but then on Friday the 23rd I'm dragging her to see Emperor in Chicago. Can't wait.