Live vs Original

{-sapob-}

Dec 17, 2008
What Opeth songs do you think sound better live than the original recorded.

(live recordings counted doesnt matter if you havent seen them)

I put forth Face of melinda. The version on roundhouse owns it imo. It has more dynamics and i like the last bit played a bit faster.

I only listen to live records when I can actually see the band perform. Otherwise, I always listen to studio versions. I bought the Roundhouse Tapes CD, but have only listened to it once for this reason.

I haven't seen them live yet, but closure is amazing on Lamentations. I love it. Love. Love.

closure yes, a fair judgement, face of melinda and all orchid/morningrise material is amazing live, and more often than not, much better than studio verision

closure yes, a fair judgement, face of melinda and all orchid/morningrise material is amazing live, and more often than not, much better than studio verision

I fuckin love the version of AFJ on Lamentations the last bit makes me do slow motion moshing everytime!

I did notice that on Lamentations they seem to play the heavier songs alot faster. Is it just me?

Most Opeth songs sound better on record, but the live versions of some of the songs off Orchid and Morningrise breath new life into them.

Under The Weeping Moon was incredible live

I also really enjoyed White Cluster & The Amen Corner.

TBH I can't think of an Opeth recording that was subpar when played live.
They're music translates very well in concert.

face of melinda
in my time of need (incredible)
demon of the fall (except on the roundhouse tapes, they dont do the end the same way, with the fading guitars, live it blew me away though)

Standout live versions:

- Under the Weaping Moon
- Advent
- The Night and the Silent Water
- Demon of the Fall
- Closure
- Wreath
- Deliverance
- A Fair Jidgement
- Master's Aprrentice
- The Baying of the Hounds
- Heir Apparent

I think 2009 will be packed with amazing liveversions.

Face of Melinda, TNATSW, probably Closure, and I'm sure a lot more that I can't be bothered to think about right now.
Oh and seeing Wreath live was mindblowing. I never realized just how metal that song is!

I'll second "Wreath"..I like the recorded version, but live was just brutal...UTWM and TNATSW are also way better to my ears. Oh, and Lotus Eater works incredibly well live with the three of them singing..