Local news

In the latest Club Teatria news, the Jalometalli festival just announced this will be its last year at the current location. It's not yet accurately known when all events will be gone from there.

Well that's no fun for anyone but what I find strange is that the local or national news here in the US of Fucking A hasn't said anything about this. And I know xp, this has been going on a while know. I hear about Egypt and Syria, middle east stuff, the spy to Russia, and Rio, but nothing about your situation.
That's fine Karhu. It took the EU media quite a while to report on what's going on here. Finnish media, for example, only ran a story after the police violence from last week. And that was 40 days into the protests.
No wonder the US media are not reporting. But I know for a fact that Bulgarians in the US are holding mini-protests. I doubt it that they're even mentioned in the regional media.
We're nearly alone in our fight, though some of the EU countries ambassadors have expressed their support for us, as well as an European Commissioner.
Worst case scenario - we'll get kicked out of the EU and then I'll indeed have to line at the non-EU citizens desk at Vantaa Airport. If I don't immigrate for good before it, that is...

Sofia Beach Party
The fuckin' MP's voted 32 days of vacation for themselves today. (Because they've been working so hard) Traditionally, they'll go to the summer state residence Evksinovgrad, near Varna. The protesters are planning on ruining their vacation by laying a siege - by sea, land and air.
Local fishermen and boat owners have offered their support - vessels for the sea blockade. The protesters in Varna have posted an announcement that they seek a naval officer to coordinate the operation. - Admiral Nelson, where are you?
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

BTW, here's a very nice comment on the situation in the country: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/30/bulgaria-protests-europe

And an idea for a new postcard:

968878_573237009405539_716919786_n.jpg

So is Teatria gonna be torn down soon?
Within a year or two yes, though they have a reservation for a new place (see page 4 of this thread). Could be that Jalometalli isn't getting their permit renewed anymore since it's partially outdoors, and new apartments are rising in the area.

Finnish media, for example, only ran a story after the police violence from last week. And that was 40 days into the protests.
No wonder the US media are not reporting. But I know for a fact that Bulgarians in the US are holding mini-protests. I doubt it that they're even mentioned in the regional media.

No, there's no news about it at all where I'm at. Does Russia try to keep this news down somehow, or the news around the world is just ugly anyway and until 100's are killed it won't be news? I know everyone in the world is upset with their leaders, not sure what to do except go fishing and work on my tan.

Does Russia try to keep this news down somehow, or the news around the world is just ugly anyway and until 100's are killed it won't be news?

I don't think Russia has anything to do with it. At least not for now. Most likely it's the latter. For the time being the protests are suspended for the summer holidays. August is the holiday month here and pretty much everyone's away. We'll be back in September.

In other news, I am so bummed. Been planning to go to Wacken Open Air next year. The tickets went on sale yesterday. I couldn't get any of the discount ones, so I figured I'll get a regular one today. Guess what? They are sold out as well. :cry::cry::cry: Some of my friends got theirs. I was planning to buy one tonight. I AM SO BUMMED!!!! :cry::cry::cry:
There is something called "ticked exchange" where I could eventually get a ticket, but, hey, it's all in German. Very helpful, really.
I am mostly mad at myself. - I could have gotten a ticket yesterday, especially after I have been trough the same disappointment a few years back. We had it all figured and planned and just when we decided to buy tickets, they were sold out. But that was end of December.

Roger Waters' The Wall show, which is due on Aug. 30 may be cancelled or moved to another venue, because a provincial football team has to play a Champions League game at the National Stadium in Sofia. This stadium is the only one that has the license in Bulgaria.
Problem is, there is no other suitable venue for the show, which, I am sure you all know, is a massive production. The stadium was booked by the promoter last October.
There is some kind of a solution - the team swapping with their rivals on who gets to play the home game first, or going to a stadium in Romania (which is closer to the team's home town anyway) but the team's owner (a shady oligarch) doesn't want to and gave series of insulting interviews in the media. The sports minister (RE-SIG-NA-TION!) said the game will be played on the national stadium, no matter what, because football is very important. (As if...) BUT the government will have to pay the promoter a hefty compensation for breach of contract. Guess who'll pay it - the taxpayers.
Perhaps some sensible solution will be found and I hope it won't involve a change of venues, as I paid quite a bit of cash for a nice seat at the stadium. Or I will expect a refund.
As a matter of fact, it all comes down to a respectable business vs. the oligarchs. And this is why we're protesting in the streets. And this is why we may bring down the wall on Aug. 30 - quite literally.

A drunk, unconscious man was transported to a hospital in Rzeszów (south-eastern Poland) several days ago. Tests indicated that his blood contained almost 14 per mil alcohol. This is said to be an unofficial world best "score", which, I don't know why, media describe as infamous :D Although the man was barely alive when doctors took care of him, he left the hospital after 3 days, feeling completely fine.

Speaking of Bulgaria, I was happily (?) surprised to learn that Vreme, the best political-centered magazine in Serbia (that's my opinion, of course, but I believe majority here would agree if they'd read it), has had a text dedicated to protest, written by Marija Georgijeva (that's her name transcribed in Serbian, I'm not sure what's in the original - all I know is that she is the main editor of "Elle" - fashion magazine?).

Apparently, she is one of the protestors, and has written a small report on how the protests were going.
The article itself doesn't state much, but I'm glad that a well-respected magazine (at least in some circles) has bothered to publish a story like this. There still isn't much in news about BG, so this insight is pretty valuable.

A national daily newspaper had a wonderful Freudian slip yesterday. They renamed one of the Sofia neighbourhoods to "Sheep's Pussy" (Ovcha Putka). The original name of the place is Ovcha Kupel (which can be translated as something like sheep's bath. Legend says it got its name when a shepherd had his flock cured of whatever in the local mineral spring). How the newspaper got to this Freudian slip, no one knows - the words are not similar, etc...
But anyway. Now we have the female genitalia, as well as the male, in the Sofia neighbourhoods. And no, I kid you not about the male - it is an official name.

Trying to make the town attractive to tourists from downunda and the rural areas of the British Isles? :p

But yeah, we have our share of explicit place names, too (for those knowing Finnish or interested in some fun with Google Translate, check this list). Yet oddly enough, while there are several Cunt Lakes (Vittulampi), none of the Dick Islands (Mulkkusaaret) is located in any of them. ;)

We have thew villages of Lower Dick's and Upper Dick's (Dolno Uino and Gorno Uino), the town of Ass (Dupnitsa), the village of Dick (Kurnets (we do have many words for dick)) and the Sofia neighbourhood of Beneath the Dick (Poduiane). Perhaps I am missing something, but it's still funny :D

We have Lower and Upper Balls (not explicitly balls, but everyone takes them as such - Jajna), Lower and Upper Shaving (literally - Gornje and Donje Brijanje). I have a friend living there.

But I think the most awesome name of any town is of one on the border of Serbia and Hungaria...or was it Croatia?

Doesn't matter, it's called Bezdan. Can be translated as Abyss, Darkness or anything related, but literally, it means Dayless.

They have the same electoral rights as me. A video showed this jerk saying "Stalin is a great man".
Am seriously considering packing my bags and leaving this country for good.:puke::puke::puke: