Local news

They have the same electoral rights as me. A video showed this jerk saying "Stalin is a great man".
Am seriously considering packing my bags and leaving this country for good.:puke::puke::puke:

I have a...friend who thinks that way.

On the other hand, I also have an acquaintance (I wouldn't call him a friend) who thinks Hitler is a saint.

Fun fun fun

It's Emo Stalin. Protests hurt poor Uncle Joe's heart.

Yeah, poor Joe, turns out his heart isn't made from steel, after all.

That's why I asked earlier if Russia has anything to do with anyting in your neck of the woods. I don't know and am curious.

That's why I asked earlier if Russia has anything to do with anyting in your neck of the woods. I don't know and am curious.

You could safely say that Russia has always had quite a lot to do with anything that happens here ;) At least in the past 140 years.

A gas explosion in a popular Chinese restaurant gutted the first three floors of a building in the centre yesterday evening. 11 people are in hospital - one in a coma.
Obviously the place wasn't very busy - Sunday evening in August - or the casualties would have been a lot more. Another happy coincidence was that the boulevard in front was fairly empty - only two passing cars were hit by flying debris and there were no pedestrians right at this moment.
Pretty scary shit, especially considering that my favourite rock bar is on the ground floor of the same building. Saw some footage from the cleanup operation and am really glad that at least the bar was empty, because it opens later in the evening.

Edit: Went to have a look for myself. Don't know about the Chinese restaurant, but the bar is going to take quite a while to reopen. I guess the restaurant is practically razed to the ground, which is a shame because it was a good restaurant :( At least the building is structurally safe, or at least so they say. Police says there were 15 gas cylinders in the restaurant. One exploded, the other ones didn't. If one cylinder can do so much damage, I can only imagine what would have happened if all 15 went boom. - Probably the entire block would have been demolished. The strangest thing is that there obviously is no regulation on how many gas cylinders can be stored in one place...

The first ever in Bulgaria theft of a portable toilet happened over the weekend. The toilet was stolen from a parking at the new highway.

So, Serbian motorways are filled with traffic - people going from/to Greece, Turkey, Germany, Bulgaria etc. have flooded the roads, border crossings and tool booths.

Good thing trin didn't come here. The motorcade on Serbian-Bulgarian border is 50km long, taking approx. 10 hours to cross it, and is expected to only increase in traffic.

I've expected Microsoft to buy Nokia since the day MS trojan Stephen Elop was appointed CEO, so I'm neither surprised nor shocked about today's news. But none the less angry, disappointed and worried. End of an Era. :(

The prime minister snuck out of the National Television (the public television) building through the garbage service exit, thus posting a new all-time low for a Bulgarian politician.:puke::puke::puke:
He took part in the Friday evening talk show to supposedly brag how much they achieved in the first 100 days of their rule and was given a warm welcome at the entrance. The doors of the building were blocked, so after the show, he left like the garbage he is.

The most recent addition to Sofia's urban environment, also known as the "Mayor's Bidet", broke down, much to everyone's amusement. It only worked for about a month and a half, but managed to cause massive controversy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a small local rock festival near Sofia today. It was its first year - organised by a new rock bar. A wonderful affair - well organised - ridiculously cheap tickets, transport included, and a fairly good lineup - BG bands only . I can only speculate how much money the promoters lost, but it was a blast and I can only hope it will become a tradition.

One of the major Finnish rock festivals, Provinssirock, announced it will be moved to last weekend of June next year and changed to a two day event, because the festival has encountered financial problems in it's previous setting. I assume Tuska Open Air has anticipated this decision, so I expect it to push back a few weeks once again.

Greenpeace activists blocked a Gazprom petrol station as a protest against the arrest of Greenpeace activists in the Arctic and Gazprom's petrol drilling there. They chained themselves to the pumps and remained there for two hours, until the police cut them loose.
The court acquitted them today and set them free. They were facing stiff fines and 15 days in jail for hooliganism.
What makes the case noteworthy is that we got an official Greenpeace chapter only recently and so far they have kept a low profile, though I took part in the Ice Ride a couple of weeks ago. Actually, this is when I became aware of the existence of the local chapter.

...arrest of Greenpeace activists in the Arctic...

One of them is a friend of a friend of mine, so even if I don't know her personally, it feels kinda close to home. And the Arctic Sea as such IS close to home, even though it's not right down the street from my house like the Baltic. It's good to hear that there's some international support, hopefully it's good for something.

One of the major Finnish rock festivals, Provinssirock, announced it will be moved to last weekend of June next year and changed to a two day event, because the festival has encountered financial problems in it's previous setting. I assume Tuska Open Air has anticipated this decision, so I expect it to push back a few weeks once again.

Nah, Tuska is on the same weekend. Provinssi is far away (although it's all "down South" when you look at it from Oulu :D ) and it's more of a general rock/pop/rap/reggae/whatevah festival with only a few metal bands, so unlike Sonisphere a couple of years ago, it's not directly competing with Tuska. To the contrary, there might even be a chance of synergy effects when booking foreign artists, which could perform in Seinäjoki on one day and in Helsinki the next, or vice versa.