Local news

There's gotta be some bad spirits roaming among CD players these days...

For a bit of refreshment, early this morning lock on my door got broken from the inside, so to speak, and I couldn't get out of the apartment. Had to call my roomie to drag his ass all across the town from his gf's place to set me free because only way to do it is from the other side of the door, and only two of us have the key (the landlord lives in another town).
It was very frustrating, but pretty funny, now that I think about it.

Official results of the brewing...

Papal Mortar Maple Porter came out okay. The head on the first one was a little thin and it has less body than I had hoped it would, but it tastes like a darker beer should: smoky and roasted grain bitter with dark chocolate and espresso notes and just a hint of hops.

Next batch will be either an imperial stout or a mellow amber ale.

Gold in the ice hockey junior worlds, and through to the worlds in men's volleyball (first time in over 30 years). Good times!

We've had Code Orange for fog for more than a week now. It's not unusual for this time of year, but it's annoying and depressing as hell. It's also warm and dry - even the highest mountains are nearly snowless, which means that we'll have serious water poblems, unless it stars snowing - soon and plentiful.
But someone went up on Vitosha mountain and took some photos of Sofia.

Radio Rock is going to present the 200 best-selling Finnish rock albums during 2014. I wonder if Tales will be there somewhere with 250 000+

Do you know where to find reliable stats on international sales by Finnish bands? Any useful links are welcome. As for Tales, I couldn't even find a figure for Finland, much less any up-to-date global info. In 2000, Relapse wrote that it had sold more than 100 000 units, two years later Jone Nikula wrote "almost a quarter million", but he's been accused of inaccuracy a few times, so he might have been exaggerating somewhat. The real Amorphis boom, on the other hand, only started four years later, and I guess the back catalog has been profiting from it since then. So I too assume that it must have sold well in excess of 250 000 by now, the question is how well. (A bit of trivia: according to IFPI, the only domestic albums that have sold more than 250 000 copies in Finland are Jari Sillanpää's first and Eppu Normaali's greatest hits collection; the best-selling metal album has been Nightwish's DPP with 126 000).

At what times/during which show is RR presenting those albums, and have they started the series yet? I can't stand listening to their playlist for any extended period of time, so I only tune in to that station if I know there's something of interest ;)

Actually never mind, my listening comprehension failed :lol: It's the 200 best-selling rock albums in Finland and that will be totally uninteresting.

Well, the keyboards are usually the last thing that's being recorded, and knowing Kasper, I trust he won't need more than a couple of days to nail 'em. Given modern technology, he could in fact record his parts anywhere in the world. (I remember Sande recorded at least part of his TBOT contributions at home.) Not to mention that BE could make some additional money teaching seminars on cross-band schedule management. :p But I'm starting to wonder how much longer Turisas will be around. I didn't even see them once with that keyboard player, and now he's already left again. Wonder who's next, although I hardly care anymore. Which is a pity.

I never cared much about Turisas, to begin with. I don't mind them and find them very remotely interesting, so even if they disband, I'll hardly notice. But good for Kasper - more touring, more money.

Sounds like Kasper is following the Aleksi Munter plan.

Hey kids, don't worry about college. Become a heavy metal keyboardist in Finland and play with six or more bands at a time.

A few hours ago there was a kid who rang at my door.
I was a bit surprised when I opened - he seemed confused, was shaking and mumbling a bit. He said he has a sister who needs to go to some sort of spine surgery and is collecting money for it. I was also a bit confused, as this was the first time someone asked me for money in this sort of way (people asking for money for medical operations usually do it so via some sort of add, or stop you on the streets etc.), but I politely told him that I don't work, am living alone and don't have any money to give (I recently moved to this apartment, since the beginning of my studies).
He just said "Okay", and went away.

There are plenty of scammers playing on charity card to get easy money, but for some reason, I believe, no, I know, this kid really had a sick sister. I've been asked to give money for this sort of thing many times before, but those people always seemed cold, stopped me on the street, like some boring preachers, and they didn't seem to overly care, and I always took them as a hoax. More often than not, they were real scammers.
But I don't think this kid was.

In reality, I had some money to give, not much, but still, some.

It still could've been a scam (even if it weren't, and I gave money, I bet he'd come back to ask for more), but I feel kinda bad.

Sounds like Kasper is following the Aleksi Munter plan.

Hey kids, don't worry about college. Become a heavy metal keyboardist in Finland and play with six or more bands at a time.

To the contrary, back in the day Kasper dropped out of music to pursue his studies, and he's been working as an English teacher. But ultimately his paternal genes got the better of him. :D

As for local news, 800 fans have pledged to participate in a demonstration downtown tomorrow with the goal of getting their favorite British boy band to play a show in Helsinki. Don't know if the attempt will be any more successful than my plea for Emperor or Borknagar on the Tuska FB wall, but given temperatures of more than ten degrees below zero, you gotta admire those kids' dedication.

The winter definitely took a huge dump here. Weather is as shitty as it gets, to pardon my manner. It's 15 degrees, it's hot, it's sunny and it's everything you wouldn't expect in mid-"winter".
I can't tell you how annoyed I am when I get out of the house.

On top of it all, local promoters are f*ucktards, as there is still 0 info about Amorphis tickets.