Local news

trombi+ahvenlammen+leirint%C3%A4alue+helena-myrsky+2014.jpg

So Season of the Mist sent me a Kylesa compilation for free along with Otta I've preordered. That was...weird. And sweet. I've never got a gift like this before.

Season of Mist hooked me up as well. Have received a complimentary Despised Icon CD from CM Distro in the past and Peaceville often tosses in a sampler when you order from them or from Burning Shed. It's always nice to find an extra and doubly nice when you discover something that you like in the process.

I can't say I'm a fan of Kylesa, since I've heard only a few songs by them so far, but it sure feels doubly nice. The only gift I ever got before when I ordered something was a Beastmilk sticker from Svart. I'm not even sure if that's a gift tho, could be a standard thing with every purchase of Beastmilk CDs. Not that I complain about it, it's still great.

I will play the CD these days. I'm not exactly in the mood for sludge, but damn me if I complain about receiving a free CD or free anything. I will play it 'til my ears fall off, just out of gratitude, if necessary.

Finally laid my hands on a physical copy of Opeth's Pale Communion.
In other local news: my favourite city, Plovdiv, won the bid to become a European Capital of Culture in 2019. Sofia, my home city, was also in the competition, but I've been rooting for Plovdiv, so I am pleased :)

Turns out our current prime minister and his family was threatened a few years ago. So who told this to us? A former police officer, a current True Finns MP, in the house of parliament, breaking his professional confidentiality on live TV. Here's Mr. Stubb's priceless reaction in the process of hearing (before proceeding out to the halls to have a talk with Timo Soini):

KHwQAZF.gif

"Mitä helvettiä?"

X class solar flare straight at Earth yesterday. Be prepared to escape light pollution in southern Finland, could be quite the northern lights display coming up the following few nights!

EDIT: Highest predicted kp value is 7 for early Saturday hours (UTC), which would mean northern lights as far south as London and Hamburg.

Sounds promising, although I've never been lucky with northern lights. Either I was asleep, or the sky was cloudy, and sometimes both. :p But I'll try to be on the lookout, would be cool.

On other news, here's some versions of the logo for the 100th anniversary of Finnish independence (2017). I don't think I even want to know how much money went into this masterpiece of design...

large-4340880053.jpg

I hate the sentence I'm going to write here because it's in 99% cases wrong, but: I would've done it better.
Okay, maybe I wouldn't, but damn, that sucks. I'm not sure what the artist was trying to go for? Poorly executed minimalism?

A nod to our Russian heritage, obviously. :p

Fiilaid? Really?! :OMG:
Besides, the Cyrillic is as if written by a pre-school kid.
Call me stupid, but I don't get it.

And, yes, I would have done better too :yow:

Hopefully the committee, or whoever is in charge, come to their senses and pick something better than those six offers. Come on! I know Finnish designers can do better.

I never thought the bottom right one had any Cyrillic letters in it, just crappy N letters an elementary school kid could do better. Still a pretty funny thought though :p

To be honest they should just scrap the dodgy Suomi/Fiilaid thing and go with the magic number.

Besides, the Cyrillic is as if written by a pre-school kid. Call me stupid, but I don't get it.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic as usual. :Shedevil: Of course it wasn't supposed to be Cyrillic, it's simply an adult's idea of how a pre-school kid would write. This "kiddie N" is a standard feature of pretty much every pseudo-childish font ever used in Finnish advertising, and for some reason I find it extremely annoying. But maybe it's just me...:rolleyes:

Back to the weather topic, as I write my house is surrounded by the thickest fog I've seen in a long, long time. I just rode my bike past the illuminated tower of the Olympic stadion, and the entire upper half of it was invisible. And this after a very beautiful, warm and sunny day.