Logic 8 rules!

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I just upgraded from 7, and man, what a difference!

Logic 7 was a cluster-fuck of confusing routing and impossible to locate features lol. Logic 8 is so much more intuitive and is basically a complete 180 from 7.

Sorry for the semi-pointless post, but I'm excited that I finally found a DAW that I really dig.

Cheers,

-Joe

Actually I'm using Logic 8. It has some cool features like sidechain on the plugins,great plugins or the audio to score, but it has also some features that are a pain in the ass, like the absence of a beat detective-like function, strange things that happens , like a kick track that self-becomes a midi track with the same sound it had before or the weird delete function: the deleted tracks go directly in the can, so if you do a mistake and you wanna restore the deleted track with cmd+z, it doesn't work (but probably there is a solution that I don't know :) )

I gave Logic 8 a try before eventually switching to Cubase 4. I like Logic's included plugins, but the UI is too much like GarageBand for my tastes, and it's not as efficient as Cubase in terms of processor usage.

Really Kaz? That surprises me, I thought since it was designed by Apple for their own OS it'd know all the economizing tricks...

Really Kaz? That surprises me, I thought since it was designed by Apple for their own OS it'd know all the economizing tricks...

I agree, it surprised me too, although you have to keep in mind that Logic was originally made by EMagic, a German company that Apple acquired. It was a "fixer uppper" for sure when Apple got a hold of it, and I still don't feel they've really made it better, just put a new skin on it more or less.

That being said, the included plugins in Logic are fucking amazing. I wish I had them in Cubase.

I HATED the old versions of Logic, because they where the opposite of their name!
You couldnt find a fuckin' thing without pulling out the manual and reading 15 pages. >;(

Now I dont own an Mac anymore, so I cant try out Logic 8. ;X

i will agree that it's a pain to learn but once you do it's hard to use anything else.

i've never had cpu issues running it heavily on mac book pro. over 60 tracks/multiple busses craploads of plug ins and no issues.

I should clarify my post - Logic 8 works great on Intel Macs, but on a G5, Cubase 4 smokes it performance-wise. Clearly Apple has stopped optimizing for the old platform - let's face it, they want to sell hardware!

It wasn't very hard to switch over at all. In my eyes, the workings of the main features are still pretty similar, but just laid out in a much more sensible and convenient way.

-Joe

As I have already said, Logic 8 has very great plugins, some good features, a great interface...but other things are really shitty..no beat detective like (the editing by hand of 1 song take me 2 days of work.....and the solution with midi quantizing doesn't work at here) and some problem here and there that push me to think about the switch to protools. Give it a try..a serious try. Because at first it seems a very good daw, but the problems come out when you use it seriously.
Anyway...they are kind of tastes

I can quantize a songs drums in Logic in like 20 mins. Really not much of a chore - just got to learn how to do it.

Logic 8 has really left the "unlogical" stuff behind and really is great to use. Also efficiency wise, I have heard its one of, if not the best (but that could be assuming you are on an Intel).

I switched from cubase 4 to logic 8 because of performance issues with my macbook pro (2,4 dual core/4gb ram) I just wanted a sequenzer that makes no problems but I got so much more with logic 8.

Unbelievable plugins and virtuel insturments (space designer, delay designer, fender rhodes...)
Great workflow
nice options like audio to midi, and the perfect routing.

And the best of all things: I only payed 175€ for my education version and sold my cubase 4 for 250€ :)