London last night

I have to agree, awesome gig, but I have to also comment on the drumming.

After the first riff of Deliverance, there WAS NO DOUBLE KICK. I'm sure of it. I think he broke it...Not sure why nothing was done about it. I would have gladly waited 5-10 mins for a new skin to be put on or a new pedal swapped in. But perhaps there was no replacement available or it was something more serious.

Are you guys who just think the drummer couldn't cut it positive you DID hear double kick during the gig? Because I didn't, and I was looking out for it...

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
were you the swede who got into all that banter with Mikael???

Hehe, yes that was me.
He said 'Tack så jävla mycket' after one of the songs (can't remember which one) so I felt it necessary to translate for him...

Met the whole band afterwards at Crobar as well and had a laugh about it.

Hi All, yeah I saw Opeth in London on the 8th, great show, I will definitely see them in November at the forum and possible the 2nd December in Exeter...

Can anyone describe the "Lemon Tree" venue in Exeter?

Thanks in Advance.

ATB

dcat.

what was it that mikael said in swedish because i couldn't hear the bloke who said it in english properly.
And thinking about it , i remember thinking that the double bass seemed really quiet.. maybe it was non-existent lol. But it didn't ruin the night.. didnt affect anything at all imo .. and im a drummer.. i like watching the drummers play.. it didnt have any real effect to the night overall

I would've prefered Beneath the Mire over all of them tracks bar When and FOM.

(new to the forum) i ahve been listening to opeth for years and the london gig was the first time i havw seen them. It was an unbelievable gig, i travelled over from ireland to see them. what set!! a bit dissapointed lopez wasnt back for the gig but amazing none the less, i have to agre the drumming wasnt up to the standard we expect from lopez. for example the double kick drum outro to 'the drapery falls' didnt even happen (correct me if im wrong) but that part is one if not my favourite outro (if you know what i mean) in any opeth track, anyone agree

so i wasn't the only one who thought the double bass drumming was fucked....

I actually started thinking that the microphone from one of his double bass drums was not working, beacuse that is how it sounded. Perhaps one of the skins did break, like the guy above postulated? I mean the drummer from Bloodbath and Witchery not being ABLE to do fast DB'ing is ludicrous.....surely something was a miss.

I think it was a dead microphone......

It's interesting that so many people are surprised by Blackwater Park being played. They did play it last tour in America.....just saying. But, it does kill live, and it is probably my personal favorite of Opeth's, or at least a top 3.

I know that bands usually have a grasp on what songs their fans want to hear live, but ... this setlist, is this what the average Opeth fan wants to hear on a concert?

Deliverance
The Baying Of The Hounds
When
In My Time Of Need
To Rid The Disease
Face Of Melinda
The Drapery Falls
The Grand Conjuration
Blackwater Park
Demon Of The Fall

In this list, there are only four songs I would really like to hear live (and two of them I have already heard live twice before) - "Deliverance", cause it's awesome live, "When" (obviously, what a fucking classic), "Face of Melinda" and "Demon of the Fall". Ok five sorry forgot "The Baying of the Hounds".

That means that half the time for me an Opeth concert is filler :erk: What if "In my time of need", "To rid the disease" (two ok but ultimately a bit boring ballads) were instead given to, say, "April Ethereal", or "The Moor", or "Ghost of Perdition", or "Forest of OCtober"...you know the drill.

"The Drapery Falls" and "Blackwater Park" are long, boring bits of Opeth from their long and slow and boring 'Blackwater Park' album, that's more than twenty minutes of time that could have been given to such classics as "Advent", "Credence", "Serenity Painted Death" etc.
(I honestly don't understand why the band keeps focusing so much on BWP. Sure it sold a lot but that's because of the aftermath buzz of fucking Still Life, best album ever).

FInally, "The Grand Conjuration", an allright track but come on, why fill so much of your set with the endlessly repetitive riffs of this track when you could fill it with the hysterically excellent classics such as "The Apostle in Triumph", or even more recent great songs such as "Master's Apprentices" or "Harlequin Forest"?

Yeah no I don't get this setlist really. I am aware that I sound like a whiny old bastard but I am one.

Yeah the absence of Orchid and Morningrise songs is a bit weird. Why not switch,say,In My Time Of Need for Advent so the setlist becomes a bit more diverse.

I don't think Opeth's ever been about pleasing the audience, so they'll probably just play what they want.
Besides, BWP was voted #1 favourite album here some time ago iirc. People have different tastes, you know.

I don't think Opeth's ever been about pleasing the audience, so they'll probably just play what they want.

Yeah i agree,bands are allowed to play what they want of course. But on the other hand we are the ones that pay them to play for us, so some of the more big fan favourites could still be taken in,at least in my opinion.