London: setlist, comments, gossip, photos and that.

Cerulean said:
Hehehe, Arno you can kiss Quentin as much as you want, cos it seems really common among French speaking males. I remember Pieter being annoyed because Quentin wanted to kiss him haha. I generally don't resist but I don't like it though :tickled:

Then I will kiss you too on December 20th.

rafael said:
that's true, but when vinnie sang high enough it sounded just like on the album, so it was just a technical fault and i blame mean fiddler for that

eos: what's strand?

Agreed !
Damn, VInnie sang really high on A Natural Disaster, and perfectly in tune, nice one ! :)

Fragile Dreams said:
Dont take this the wrong way Danny, I totally respect what anathema does nowadays. and love all of your albums and i understand what you say about getting bored playing the old songs etc, but perhaps rather than thinking what if Thom yorke or Bjork were in the audience ( which chances are they never will be....), why not consider who is in the audience......? The anathema fans, Many of whom ( Your long time fans, who have always supported you and bought your albums! ) do still want to hear an old song or two as well as lots off the last few great albums!! Obviously, to an extent, you play for yourselfs, but surely its better to bend the setlist to please the Anathema fans that have always supported you, than to people not present ( thom, bjork....)......

Anyways, like i said, im not having a dig at you or anathema, i ll be there next London show, old songs or not! Thats just my thoughts on the setlist debate!
i knew you would say that. i see what you mean but you must realise that we have been typecast into a type of music that we are not, and we would like to break the mould. there have been people who said they prefer darren whites voice but what do i do about that? or people who ask for duncan's songs when we can't play them anyway? i think at the end of the day, as much as we want to please people and let them enjoy gigs, we have to answer to ourselves. i personally am sick of playing a dying wish..its been in EVERY SINGLE GIG since 7 years or more. i am not a dukebox, you know what i mean? i know its a euro metal classic but so is woofheart by moonspell..i played ok computer the other day and there is not a metal album in the last 15 years to touch it. so...in my opinion, we dont always have to play certain songs, especially when you are only given 1h 15m by the venue.
and ps chezzy you put me off when you came on stage. and mick can bollox for putting you up to it and being a loudmouth. :)

pagan2002 said:
i knew you would say that. i see what you mean but you must realise that we have been typecast into a type of music that we are not, and we would like to break the mould. there have been people who said they prefer darren whites voice but what do i do about that? or people who ask for duncan's songs when we can't play them anyway? i think at the end of the day, as much as we want to please people and let them enjoy gigs, we have to answer to ourselves. i personally am sick of playing a dying wish..its been in EVERY SINGLE GIG since 7 years or more. i am not a dukebox, you know what i mean? i know its a euro metal classic but so is woofheart by moonspell..i played ok computer the other day and there is not a metal album in the last 15 years to touch it. so...in my opinion, we dont always have to play certain songs, especially when you are only given 1h 15m by the venue.
and ps chezzy you put me off when you came on stage. and mick can bollox for putting you up to it and being a loudmouth. :)
I can perfectly understand you, and A Dying Wish has always been my highlight of Anathema gigs so far... But if you feel a bit forced playing an old song or two for the old fans, why don't you play an other Eternity or Silent Enigma song (or Pentecost or Serenades, whatever)? Or wouldn't you enjoy playing an oldie again at all?

cedarbreed said:
Do you remember that joke you told me in the pub ? It made you laugh alone 5 minutes like :lol:
yes, i remeber laughing, i couldn't stop :lol:
but don't know the joke anymore :erk:
so, tell me again

Cerulean said:
I can perfectly understand you, and A Dying Wish has always been my highlight of Anathema gigs so far... But if you feel a bit forced playing an old song or two for the old fans, why don't you play an other Eternity or Silent Enigma song (or Pentecost or Serenades, whatever)? Or wouldn't you enjoy playing an oldie again at all?
or they can make a new version of 'a dying wish', like 'closer' style

or that kingdom/piano thing? or maybe sunset of age, i always thought that one could fit todays anathema with a bit different vocals, more "singing" like. a change of setlist every now and then is deffo good both for the band and the audience i think.

Indeed. Maybe we would be missing some of the songs that are usually played but we would be very happy I guess to see some changes in the setlist after all. I'm not only talking about the old songs now, but also stuff like Regret (which won't happen I think, cos this must be the song that has been requested the most already, and nothing happened), or The Beloved, Re-Connect, Feel, stuff like that...

pagan2002 said:
i knew you would say that. etc etc....:)
Oh dear....that's the end of that so (well for me anyway). I saw the setlist, sorry, but to me it's pretty awful. Too much of the (extremely weak for the most part) new CD, and little to please the fans the supported the band all along the way- thats the thanks you get! I agree with the 'not-playing-a-dying-wish' thing: it's not the only good song from 'back when they were worth listening to' though! There are plenty other contenders.

Ryan adams did somthing In dublin a few weeks ago - he played all unknown songs for the crowd that paid hard cash to see him and hear the songs they like in the live environment. Had I gone to london i would have felt somthing similar to that I think. Next time Anathema make the effort (and fair play to them) to come to Dublin, I for one won't bother me arse driving the 160 miles to hear songs I (and many others) believe to be weak and lacking. Maiden played this day last week, I drove, they played 7 of their new songs- and a burst of the classics people want to hear. That's the way to do it - *that's* worth spending your few bob on

flosskkii said:
Oh dear....that's the end of that so (well for me anyway). I saw the setlist, sorry, but to me it's pretty awful. Too much of the (extremely weak for the most part) new CD, and little to please the fans the supported the band all along the way- thats the thanks you get! I agree with the 'not-playing-a-dying-wish' thing: it's not the only good song from 'back when they were worth listening to' though! There are plenty other contenders.

Ryan adams did somthing In dublin a few weeks ago - he played all unknown songs for the crowd that paid hard cash to see him and hear the songs they like in the live environment. Had I gone to london i would have felt somthing similar to that I think. Next time Anathema make the effort (and fair play to them) to come to Dublin, I for one won't bother me arse driving the 160 miles to hear songs I (and many others) believe to be weak and lacking. Maiden played this day last week, I drove, they played 7 of their new songs- and a burst of the classics people want to hear. That's the way to do it - *that's* worth spending your few bob on

Thats fair enough if you dont like what they're doing now, but the band have got to play what they feel like playing, not stuff that none of them are into anymore. It could all go back to the changing the name discussion that we have been through a few times here.