Long overdue, the "which is the best Vintersorg album?" thread

Which is, in your opinion, the best Vintersorg album?

• Till Fjälls

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Ödemarkens Son

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Cosmic Genesis

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Visions from the Spiral Generator

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • The Focusing Blur

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Solens Rötter

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
you have really no idea of how many and how artistical they can be :lol:

i wonder instead what andreas thinks about the fact that the greatest part of us prefers a such "old" album. i called it old because 3 album were released after that. i mean, what can this fact represent for an artist? a sort of disappointment? the starting point for a reflection? we absolutely love the other albums, but this album has something more, something that has left a indelible mark in our hearts.

Believe me, I do have an idea :p, as I said before, my girlfriend is Italian.

Hmmm yes, that's indeed a very interesting point too. Maybe he'll reply….

When CG was released I could not get the cd out of my stereo for months, and it helped me through a hard time.

:)

When CG was released I could not get the cd out of my stereo for months, and it helped me through a hard time.

this happened also to me, with the difference that it was my first vintersorg cd and it happened about 2-3 years ago

Believe me, I do have an idea :p, as I said before, my girlfriend is Italian.

Hmmm yes, that's indeed a very interesting point too. Maybe he'll reply….

:)

yeah i know that! but she's from the north, and i'm from the centre, that's why i think our usual insults may not coincide :lol::lol::lol:

let's see what happens :lol:

Actually, when I got CG, I was a bit dissapointed:)blush: DOH!), because he was singing in English, and I borrowed to my girlfriend and didn't see it again for a couple of months... I hope the fact that it is the one I listen to most often now will redeem this stupidity...

The reason I started listening to Vintersorg, was that one day I decided that there had to be some cool metal with lyrics in Swedish (up to this point I was mostly listening to traditional heavy metal and some power metal as well), so I sifted through the pages of Ginza (a very big postorder cd catalogue in Sweden) and came across a small add for something called Ödemarkens Son. Seeing that all the songtitles were in Swedish I decided to give it a go.
I wasn't especially impressed when I got it, seeing how it was much more aggressive than anything else I was listening to at the time, and I really couldn't stand black (or death) metal singing back then either.

Only about a week later I found Sagovindars Boning in a local CD-shop, and as this one also had all titles in Swedish, I decided to give this one a go as well. Instant love!
It wasn't until some time later, when looking through the booklet that I realised it was the same guy, ha ha!

And, as these two were the only two albums I had to listen to for an entire summer (my other stuff was in an apartment halfway across the country), they both grew on me.
(and thus my love for mr. v's music began, sob sob...) :lol:

Actually, when I got CG, I was a bit dissapointed:)blush: DOH!), because he was singing in English, and I borrowed to my girlfriend and didn't see it again for a couple of months... I hope the fact that it is the one I listen to most often now will redeem this stupidity...

The reason I started listening to Vintersorg, was that one day I decided that there had to be some cool metal with lyrics in Swedish (up to this point I was mostly listening to traditional heavy metal and some power metal as well), so I sifted through the pages of Ginza (a very big postorder cd catalogue in Sweden) and came across a small add for something called Ödemarkens Son. Seeing that all the songtitles were in Swedish I decided to give it a go.
I wasn't especially impressed when I got it, seeing how it was much more aggressive than anything else I was listening to at the time, and I really couldn't stand black (or death) metal singing back then either.

Only about a week later I found Sagovindars Boning in a local CD-shop, and as this one also had all titles in Swedish, I decided to give this one a go as well. Instant love!
It wasn't until some time later, when looking through the booklet that I realised it was the same guy, ha ha!

And, as these two were the only two albums I had to listen to for an entire summer (my other stuff was in an apartment halfway across the country), they both grew on me.

Great story mate! :)
I also remember how dissapointed I was when I first heard CG (mainly because of the use of English). It took me some time to really fall in love with the record.

I'm actually surprised Solens Rötter isn't more popular :err: It got my vote.
TFB is close second I think. I believe I played that album daily for like two years after it had been released.

Great story mate! :)
I also remember how dissapointed I was when I first heard CG (mainly because of the use of English). It took me some time to really fall in love with the record.

Actually, when I got CG, I was a bit dissapointed:)blush: DOH!), because he was singing in English....
:

ahahah for me was the exact opposite. :)
a friend of mine gave me cosmic genesis as first album.
i listened to it over and over again, and totally felt in love with this record. it was something new for me, 'cause i was not used to listen to black or folk-viking metal.
what mostly catched my attention were the 2 songs sung in swedish. at that time i had never heard any band with swedish lyrics and it was amazing, i immediately loved them, how this "new" tongue fitted (what....which...which is the past of to fit? :lol::ill::confused:) with this wonderful music, was something new and totally stunning for me!

then i hungered for more. :rolleyes:
so my friend gave me all the records he had and.... what a beautiful surprise!!!! :yow: :headbang:
all the first 3 reconds were entirely sung in swedish!!!!! :p it was unbelievable, i was so happy, i didn't really expect that.

yeah i know that! but she's from the north, and i'm from the centre, that's why i think our usual insults may not coincide :lol::lol::lol:

AH true true. Are your from Rome? I hated Rome to be honest :p .

Lovely story, indeed! And you lent it to your girlfriend, you might've borrowed something from her, though :) .

For me it was:

"Oh look a band named Borknagar… ohhhh they're so good! Hey their vocalist, uh, Vintersorg (what?) has his own band. Let's listen to it… o_O I love it!!! *automatically becomes a Mr.V famboy :lol:*"

I'm actually surprised Solens Rötter isn't more popular :err: It got my vote.
TFB is close second I think. I believe I played that album daily for like two years after it had been released.

Yeah I thought Solens Rötter would have more votes, too.

I knew Otyg first, back on 96-97. I liked it but I was more into Storm's Nordavind and Isengard's Höstmörke. Hedniskhjärtad was something vastly superior for me, but just when Till Fjälls arrived I really fell for Vintersorg's Music. I couldn't stop to hear the album, specially 3 songs: Vildmarkens Förtrollande Stämmor, Asatider and Fångad Utav Nordens Själ...a very melancholic, yet epic sound.

When Vintersorg joined Borknagar I was kinda sad for Vortex's departure but happy for the replacement, since Cosmic Genesis was/is incredible on the vocal duties.

In a way, I love the Visions' vocal harmonies almost the same than CG's. I'm not so sure about this but on Visions his accent/tone sounds different from any other.

this thread had turned into the "how did i met vintersorg" thread

how i love offtopics :oops:

And you lent it to your girlfriend, you might've borrowed something from her, though :) .

Ah, of course. I knew this, I just get carried away sometimes while writing, and my brain looses it's connection with my fingers... Don't be surprised to find that letters, or even entire words, are missing from time to time...

For me it was:

"Oh look a band named Borknagar… ohhhh they're so good! Hey their vocalist, uh, Vintersorg (what?) has his own band. Let's listen to it… o_O I love it!!! *automatically becomes a Mr.V famboy :lol:*"

Ha ha, complete opposite for me.
I was like;"Oh, Borknagar are playing Wacken. Borknagar who? Oh, Vintersorg sings for them. That I have to see!"

I voted for Cosmic Genesis. It's my favourite, and in a way I think that's the record which has the most in common with the other records, both pre and post.

I love Cosmic Genesis, but I still think my favorite is Ödemarkens Son. That said, I think Hedniskhjärtad should count. ;)

I do really love all of those records, so it was really hard to choose. I'm particularly fond of Cosmic Genesis and Visions from the Spiral Generator (which I definitely think is the strongest "late" album).

this thread had turned into the "how did i met vintersorg" thread

how i love offtopics :oops:

Hehe I've been especially good doing that lately :p .

Ah, of course. I knew this, I just get carried away sometimes while writing, and my brain looses it's connection with my fingers... Don't be surprised to find that letters, or even entire words, are missing from time to time...

Ha ha, complete opposite for me.
I was like;"Oh, Borknagar are playing Wacken. Borknagar who? Oh, Vintersorg sings for them. That I have to see!"

:lol: don't wor I unerstnd :) . Haha OK :p .

Please do the rest of us a favor and head on over to Alec's Tavern. It's there for a reason.

if we went offtopic, at least we went offtopic decently.
not that we are speaking of our own affairs (as in the tavern), but still about vintersorg albums and how did we know him. ;)

i wonder instead what andreas thinks about the fact that the greatest part of us prefers a such "old" album. i called it old because 3 album were released after that. i mean, what can this fact represent for an artist? a sort of disappointment? the starting point for a reflection? we absolutely love the other albums, but this album has something more, something that has left a indelible mark in our hearts.

Well, I think that's pretty natural, I mean, how many people prefer Magica to Holy Diver when it comes to Dio or The Devil You Know to Vol 4 when it comes to Sabbath?

One of the reasons for that is most of people knew about Vintersorg with CG and since the album is really good, it left a mark on their listeners. I showed Vintersorg to some band mates, Visions first and they fell in love with it inmediately, the same with TFB and Solens Rötter. While the old albums were incredible for them, they always are more into Visions...

Visions left a mark on me too, cause it's a perfect extreme progressive album IMO. All what I can expect of a original prog album is there, all is played at insane technical levels, with true emotion.

Solens has a feeling of CG pt 2 for me, mainly for the balance between the old and the new (a little more into the latter). SR is the more mature and solid Vintersorg album IMO, even it would be the best if the clean vocals were a little more epic, like on CG or Visions.

One of the reasons for that is most of people knew about Vintersorg with CG and since the album is really good, it left a mark on their listeners. I showed Vintersorg to some band mates, Visions first and they fell in love with it inmediately, the same with TFB and Solens Rötter. While the old albums were incredible for them, they always are more into Visions...

Visions left a mark on me too, cause it's a perfect extreme progressive album IMO. All what I can expect of a original prog album is there, all is played at insane technical levels, with true emotion.

Solens has a feeling of CG pt 2 for me, mainly for the balance between the old and the new (a little more into the latter). SR is the more mature and solid Vintersorg album IMO, even it would be the best if the clean vocals were a little more epic, like on CG or Visions.

I love Visions because of how progressive it is. And, as I said before, it's not that I prefer the older albums, it's just that with any band, I think the first thing you hear from them is usually the one you love the most. Iron Maiden, for example, hit its peak with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and På Landet was the first song I really fell for by Vintersorg (despite having heard some of Till Fjälls first). It was those Swedish songs that sparked my taste in the language and I was 18/19 at the time when I heard that stuff—i.e., I was in a very impressionable stage. That stuff resonated with me. But so did Cosmic Genesis and, well, every record Vintersorg has released since.

I did really miss Aesgir and Digiorgio on Solens Rötter since I had been such a big fan of where Vintersorg was going after Visions and The Focusing Blur.. And while I liked the record I did think it was the weakest of the Vintersorg stuff. But, given how strong Vintersorg's music is.. that's not saying much. :p

As far as "meeting Vintersorg" goes, I actually had a friend who played me Till Fjälls. I pretty much shit myself over it. I went home, jumped on my downloading machine and proceeded to procure tracks (yes, that's how old this was.. I might've even still been on 56K at the time). I loved it all so much that I went to BlackMetal.com and ordered everything that had been released (just the first three albums). I've been a huge fan ever since. Got really heavily into Otyg (and love it, as well as Isengard's Høstmørke, and Storm's Nordavind at the same time) and just folk metal in general. I think that was the same general time that I fell in love with Ulver's earlier material as well.

In a lot of ways, Vintersorg helped (with early Opeth) to break down my extreme metal barrier, by blending musical styles that I loved with clean vocals. The older I get, the more technical death metal and raw black metal I get into, but when I was younger I just got really bored and turned off by that stuff. It was the highly melodic Vintersorg's, Ulver's and Opeth's of this world that broke me into extreme metal for good.

Please do the rest of us a favor and head on over to Alec's Tavern. It's there for a reason.

Oh I'm sorry if I insulted you, I didn't mean to do that. Kidding! Why do you care, it's not like I'm talking about random non-Vintersorg related stuff, am I? I'm one of the persons that contributes the most to this forum, and I don't see anyone else complaining about my "spamming", do I?

if we went offtopic, at least we went offtopic decently.
not that we are speaking of our own affairs (as in the tavern), but still about vintersorg albums and how did we know him. ;)

Yeah, well some people take things too seriously, don't they? ;)

Well, I think that's pretty natural, I mean, how many people prefer Magica to Holy Diver when it comes to Dio or The Devil You Know to Vol 4 when it comes to Sabbath?

the parallel is maybe pushed a little bit too much , cause you're speaking of periods really diverse and very long...
i usually don't have the same approach with each group, i just listen and judge which albums are better in my opinion.
there are some groups for example of which i totally love the first works and i think they lost what made them special (for me) with the successive albums (for example ulver, or manegarm just to pick up 2) , there are some other groups of which i appreciate mostly the latest album cause they are more mature (like arcturus).
it really depends a lot from case to case, so i don't feel to generalize the question.
i this case, vintersorg is among those groups of which i prefer the earliest works. but beware, not because the lastest aren't better (or less mature), they surely are, tecnically and all, but just because those are my tastes. :p

Cosmic Genesis without a doubt. That album does so much for me even up to this day. When I first listened to it, it was something I have never experienced before while listening to music. It brought out moods in me that I didn't know existed. Words simply cannot describe what I felt while absorbing all the surreal melodies and vocal patterns CG emits. SO yeah...Cosmic Genesis hands down.